GDT: Free Agency: Dr Strangedubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Nerd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Look at what LA did with their goalie situation. By no means is Rob Blake a smart GM, but he’s not a moron.

He saw the same mediocre group of goalies available and said well, we’ll just sign a couple of these idiots for 1 year because we literally have to.

Maybe a trade will become available later in the summer or midseason. Maybe one of those idiots will somehow do what goalies do and randomly become good for a bit.

However, they didn’t **** the bed by signing a crappy goalie for 5 years because “who else is better right now!????????”

Dubas is a fool.

I'm maybe not quite as wound up as some about Jarry. Though I don't like it.

But yeah... I wonder why Pens fans are so utterly adverse to the idea of just trying out some one year stopgap solution and allocate the dollars to either a much better bottom six, impact skaters or even both instead? Just tossing your hands up and saying "here ya go guy who has never done anything meaningful, has in fact sharted his crease several times and has possible injury concerns... here's 27 million dollars over 5 years" seems like arguably a worse gamble.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You trust DOC and Eller to not bleed goals?

O'Connor is on my 4th line, not my 3rd line. And yes, Eller isn't a 3C caliber player anymore but I don't see a reason to think he has issues defensively.

The problem with Eller in the 3C role isn't that Eller is a shitty player, it's that he's not a 3C anymore.

But yeah... I wonder why Pens fans are so utterly adverse to the idea of just trying out some one year stopgap solution and allocate the dollars to either a much better bottom six, impact skaters or even both instead? Just tossing your hands up and saying "here ya go guy who has never done anything meaningful, has in fact sharted his crease several times and has possible injury concerns... here's 27 million dollars over 5 years" seems like arguably a worse gamble.

Because a majority of teams who try that end up regretting it.

The grass isn't always greener after all.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Buddy, the Caps and Jackets? C'mon now, that's overly dramatic even for you.

NJ
Carolina
NYR
NYI
Pittsburgh
Washington
Columbus
Philly

I wish this team would be bad enough to suck shit like you think they will, but they're gonna be mediocre and a borderline wild card team--which is the *much* worse outcome.
Why is it crazy to think Columbus would be better than us. They are definitely more talented.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Look at what LA did with their goalie situation. By no means is Rob Blake a smart GM, but he’s not a moron.

He saw the same mediocre group of goalies available and said well, we’ll just sign a couple of these idiots for 1 year because we literally have to.

Maybe a trade will become available later in the summer or midseason. Maybe one of those idiots will somehow do what goalies do and randomly become good for a bit.

However, they didn’t **** the bed by signing a crappy goalie for 5 years because “who else is better right now!????????”

Dubas is a fool.
I really hate that Jarry contract, not for AAV or term (though f*** both of those), but just because f***ing Jarry's back. :laugh: This is like re-signing Sullivan after his fourth straight season of failing to see the 2nd round.
I'd flip the Islanders and Penguins but yeah this looks about right otherwise.
Yeah, I think the Isles, Pens and Caps are all probably pretty close, with the Caps a bit behind the other two. Either way, this team's not gonna be a basement dweller. They've yet again found their special little purgatory between making headway toward contending or selling off assets and accepting the era's over. :laugh:

Reactions: vodeni

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Serious question.

Put teams into tiers.

Tier one with at most a half dozen teams are cup favorites.

The bottom tier are teams that are a few years away. Rebuilding. Unlikely to make the playoffs.

In between are three or four tiers of pretenders who are less and less likely to win a cup.

Where do you see the Pens?

And after doing that you can settle down and accept that this off-season will be nothing special. And be OK with that.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I saw the Jarry thing coming a mile away. The team could have moved for a goalie weeks ago, and they didn’t. It’s the same with knowing we weren’t seriously going to go after big UFAs when we didn’t buy out Granlund. It’s not any sort of genius, just basic observation.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

That the thing. There is no longer a plan B, it’s Jarry or we’re screwed for the next 5 years. A team like LA is still in the mix when Boston is ready to move a goalie or Hellebuyck. Dubas now tied the fate of the team to a guy who has let them down 3 consecutive years.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
We've still got Carter and Granlund occupying two of the six bottom six slots. If the idea is to have two bottom six lines that can hold down the fort defensively, those two have to be moved. If the idea is to have a more "offensive" line with Granlund on it, then they need to upgrade the talent.
Which is why I want to see the next steps to get compliant. The roster obviously isn't complete.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That the thing. There is no longer a plan B, it’s Jarry or we’re screwed for the next 5 years. A team like LA is still in the mix when Boston is ready to move a goalie or Hellebuyck. Dubas now tied the fate of the team to a guy who has let them down 3 consecutive years.

Yeah I mean... the goaltending market kinda sucked. I get it. Maybe just hang in there til it gets better? IDK

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Uh no they aren't.

Their starting goalie had an .876 save% last year and they have really shitty depth.
I don't think you understand how good their young core is. Johnsson and Fantilli are elite players. Sillinger, Bemstrom, Marchenko are as good a young core as any.

Throw in Gaudreau and Laine and their Top 9 is better than ours.

Columbus was wrecked by injury. They've added Werenski back basically, along with Provorov on D. If they get goaltending, they will challenge for a playoff spot.

Not to forget they have maybe the best D prospect in hockey coming up.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
O'Connor is on my 4th line, not my 3rd line. And yes, Eller isn't a 3C caliber player anymore but I don't see a reason to think he has issues defensively.

The problem with Eller in the 3C role isn't that Eller is a shitty player, it's that he's not a 3C anymore.

Because a majority of teams who try that end up regretting it.

The grass isn't always greener after all.
But when your grass is dead and spray-painted green, maybe do somethin' if you're intention is to fix your lawn. Unless of course the idea isn't really to change anything or improve the team, just keep circling the runway until Sid's retired--which I'm not sure how anyone can argue isn't the case anymore. :laugh:
Serious question.

Put teams into tiers.

Tier one with at most a half dozen teams are cup favorites.

The bottom tier are teams that are a few years away. Rebuilding. Unlikely to make the playoffs.

In between are three or four tiers of pretenders who are less and less likely to win a cup.

Where do you see the Pens?

And after doing that you can settle down and accept that this off-season will be nothing special. And be OK with that.
In that tiered system? Probably the tier above bottom; borderline playoff team who wouldn't surprise me if they made it, but don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the Cup.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Yeah I mean... the goaltending market kinda sucked. I get it. Maybe just hang in there til it gets better? IDK
If he would have brought Jarry back on a 1-2 year “prove it” deal, I’d be disappointed but would understand it. Guessing (hoping?) Jarry had other long term options available in which case you say, “thanks for nothing and good luck” and move on to the next schlub or pony up for a trade.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The thing is, what do we have as far as realistic trade chips to get compliant? Jake isn’t getting moved, Rust has an NMC. Nobody wants Petry and he’d have to waive. POJ doesn’t really make enough to help, and the team thinks Pettersson is probably too valuable for to move.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If he would have brought Jarry back on a 1-2 year “prove it” deal, I’d be disappointed but would understand it. Guessing (hoping?) Jarry had other long term options available in which case you say, “thanks for nothing and good luck” and move on to the next schlub or pony up for a trade.

Where TF is Johan Hedberg when you need him?

This team has very late 90s/early 2000s vibes to it already, after all.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad