Waived: Frank Corrado, Linden Vey, Alex Biega (UPDATE: Corrado claimed by TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Honestly, if Baer works out as a top 6 forward then the gambles don't look that bad. Burning two 2nds for an under 25 top 6er is good value. Just happens that the first swing was a massive whiff. Can't hit a home run if you don't swing though.

Now if only he could actually judge pro players...

2 2nds and Forsling. Add in the 3rd if Pedan flops as well.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I disagree. Now is the best time to put these guys on waivers as most teams have already finalized their line-ups and there is an influx of players going through waivers so it's easier to "sneak" guys through at this point.

Exactly. Pass em through when everyone does and hide em. I mean..Mason Raymond and Ryan Stanton just got waived too. People would probably want them more right?

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Shocked really... didn't think Benning had it in him.

best case scenario now... WD not happy that JB waived his boy Vey so he decides to sit JB's boy Sbisa in the press box?

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver

best case scenario now... WD not happy that JB waived his boy Vey so he decides to sit JB's boy Sbisa in the press box?

I haven't liked a lot of his moves, but one thing Benning isn't is a liar. In fact, it could be argued he's a little too open and honest. He said spots were there for the kids if they earned them, there was no reason to believe this wasn't the case.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
Good news. It's a shame Vey did not work out; I really wanted him to succeed. As a number of people have said, you can't hit a home run if you don't swing.

I think the best news from this preseason is that we now know that Jim Benning is willing to learn from his mistakes.

I assume Corrado and Vey will clear, but I am not so sure about Biega. Here's hoping they all do so we can have a strong group in Utica going forward.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Wow, pleasantly surprised by this news. Glad that WD/Benning had the balls to waive Vey and send him down or lose him. He flat out wasn't one of the 13 best forwards. I was hoping Corrado would be a decent bottom pairing dman this year but he was outplayed by Hutton.

What I like best about these moves is that it'll encourage internal competition in future years since it shows that waiver eligibility won't be a deciding factor when young players are competing against each other for roster spots.

Some guys did still get the shaft though(Subban, Gaunce) and Prust/Sbisa were outplayed by some who didn't make the opening night roster.

I do firmly believe that Gaunce will earn a call-up later this year though. Hopefully Corrado and Vey clear and can help out the Comets and improve as players.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I haven't liked a lot of his moves, but one thing Benning isn't is a liar. In fact, it could be argued he's a little too open and honest. He said spots were there for the kids if they earned them, there was no reason to believe this wasn't the case.

If he's not a liar than he's severely incompetent. Some of the non-sense he spews to justify his terrible moves is laughable.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
And Cracknell fits the prototypical 4th line role better than Vey, or even McCann at this point.

Also, if Vey clears, then you get the younger guy playing big minutes in Utica to try to develop (if nothing else into something another organization might give something for) while the 30 year old gets the pressbox or limited 4th line minutes.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Also, if Vey clears, then you get the younger guy playing big minutes in Utica to try to develop (if nothing else into something another organization might give something for) while the 30 year old gets the pressbox or limited 4th line minutes.

As much flak as Vey gets, he's going to dominate the AHL, like he has in the past, and this is going to be tremendous for Shinkaruk to have a C to play with.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009

Lol ... if only.
I was rooting for Vey though, too bad he didnt pan out.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
If he's not a liar than he's severely incompetent. Some of the non-sense he spews to justify his terrible moves is laughable.

At least that's a more tenable position. I have no problem with people taking issue with his moves or his judgement in making those; it's the manufactured character assassination that some feel the need to add on, as if critiquing his work isn't enough, people have to try to go after him on a personal level as well. The name calling is also tiresome as well as juvenile.

Anyway, off topic and before I am accused of being an apologist or some disciple we should move on to the topic at hand.

I think I said it earlier but I will shocked if any of them are claimed. Corrado is probably the most well known of the three but anyone who has watched his last two seasons will probably pass. No one really knows Biega, and Vey simply didn't make the step this offseason that many had hoped for. Utica will be thankful to get them though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Good news. It's a shame Vey did not work out; I really wanted him to succeed. As a number of people have said, you can't hit a home run if you don't swing.

I think the best news from this preseason is that we now know that Jim Benning is willing to learn from his mistakes.

I assume Corrado and Vey will clear, but I am not so sure about Biega. Here's hoping they all do so we can have a strong group in Utica going forward.

Going to Uitca might be the best thing for Vey at this point in his career....he'll be getting 20 minutes a night with lots of time on the powerplay....and he'll be playing with some offensive wingers for a change......wouldn't rule him out coming back up before the season is over if he can re-discover his game.....Adam Cracknall can provide some inspiration......30-year old career minor leaguer who stuck with it.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
As much flak as Vey gets, he's going to dominate the AHL, like he has in the past, and this is going to be tremendous for Shinkaruk to have a C to play with.

Thought the same thing. Also he'll give some protection for Cassels to develop. Depth in the AHL isnt a bad thing.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Going to Uitca might be the best thing for Vey at this point in his career....he'll be getting 20 minutes a night with lots of time on the powerplay....and he'll be playing with some offensive wingers for a change......wouldn't rule him out coming back up before the season is over if he can re-discover his game.....Adam Cracknall can provide some inspiration......30-year old career minor leaguer who stuck with it.
I don't see Vey miraculously changing his game or reinventing his game to the point where he can contribute to an NHL team at age 30. He is on the path he was destined to follow: becoming a lesser Darren Haydar.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I think he meant Cracknell when he said 30....
Woosh... Please re-read the two posts. OP said there is a possibility that Vey can take this as a learning opportunity and reinvent his game. Then used Cracknell as an example of a guy who toiled in the AHL and now is on a NHL roster at age 30.

To which, I said, I don't see Vey reinventing his game to the point where he can contribute to a NHL team again or at the age of 30.

Last edited:

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Yeah ... it's nice that they've gotten rid of one of their mistakes.

But Vey was SO horrible for so long that they really had no choice. They tried everything this preseason to give him an opportunity to show anything.

We still have Sbisa/Miller/Prust collecting $12 million as total junk. And Sutter/Dorsett horribly overpaid. And Bartkowski didn't exactly look good.

But given how badly they've botched everything, I'll take getting this one thing right. Happy we don't have to watch Vey anymore. Plus it means Horvat probably actually gets PP time.

That's unnecessarily hyperbolic.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
What's the cap look like when Higgins comes back

Slightly better - his salary is counted whether he's on the roster, on IR, or on LTIR. When he comes back, someone will have to be sent down to clear his roster spot, resulting in cap savings.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I hope we see biega (as long as he clears) be the 1st d called up.

Made some mistakes but is one hell of a skater and physical as well.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
At the time of the trade he was a top-line AHL forward at age 22/23. Those were decent signs. And for a team with weak prospect depth, I can at least see the rationale for the move. I'm as critical of Benning as anyone, but I can at least see the logic to that move, unlike a lot of the ones Benning made. You can't apply hindsight reasoning to the evaluation at the time. His season didn't go as well as we planned. I still think it was a decent gamble. You lose some.

Taking a pessimistic approach to Vey at the time yes he was a top-line AHL forward but his linemates Toffoli and Pearson were able to earn their spots on the Kings in scoring roles. You'd think if Vey was the same caliber of player they'd find a way to keep him in the lineup.

Anyways, it's kind of sad that Benning has been so bad that when he does something completely ordinary, cutting a few depth players who didn't earn there spot in camp, he gets praise. Guys like Vey & Corrado are getting waived all around the league right now, and it's not like he's made the 'tough call' on the real boat anchor contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad