Waived: Frank Corrado, Linden Vey, Alex Biega (UPDATE: Corrado claimed by TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
2 2nds and Forsling. Add in the 3rd if Pedan flops as well.

The Forsling trade still makes me sad, he was a very raw prospect but was an absolute bargain for a 5th round pick. I understand what they were trying to do with Clendenning but I really would have liked to see what Forsling could have done for us.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
I feel like Benning & co. may still be targeting a waiver wire pickup. Otherwise there's no reason to expose either Vey or Corrado when they Hutton could be sent down and called back up after Higgins is put on LTIR.

EDIT: unless they just wanted to try to get both of them down early with the flood of other players going down right now.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
I feel like Benning & co. may still be targeting a waiver wire pickup. Otherwise there's no reason to expose either Vey or Corrado when they Hutton could be sent down and called back up after Higgins is put on LTIR.

EDIT: unless they just wanted to try to get both of them down early with the flood of other players going down right now.

Unless Higgins' injury isn't as bad as we all think, and he wouldn't qualify for LTIR.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
The Forsling trade still makes me sad, he was a very raw prospect but was an absolute bargain for a 5th round pick. I understand what they were trying to do with Clendenning but I really would have liked to see what Forsling could have done for us.

They were trying to trade for a younger dman on the cusp of making an NHL roster which to be fair Clendenning has with PIT's mediocre d.

--

Biega is probably the best player waived with the worst pedigree which hopefully means he'll clear.

Vey is the Utica 1C that finally replaces O'Reilly so that'll be nice for our prospects.

Corrado is the most likely to get picked up.

--

I think we're at 23 skaters with Higgins still not on LTIR. That opens up a possibility that we're active on the waiver wire. Time for a project D?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I don't see Vey miraculously changing his game or reinventing his game to the point where he can contribute to an NHL team at age 30. He is on the path he was destined to follow: becoming a lesser Darren Haydar.

when we got him i called his future to be the dan quinn of the AHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Anyways, it's kind of sad that Benning has been so bad that when he does something completely ordinary, cutting a few depth players who didn't earn there spot in camp, he gets praise. Guys like Vey & Corrado are getting waived all around the league right now, and it's not like he's made the 'tough call' on the real boat anchor contracts.

This is spot on.

He's set the bar so impossibly low that this sort of run-of-the-mill decision is considered something for major props.

Basically the guy who was our 13th-14th forward in the playoffs lost his job, and a waiver-eligible rookie didn't get a job after having a terrible camp. This isn't exactly earth-shattering, except that it represents a major turnaround in the ridiculous way Vey was treated for the last year+.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Learning this news

1325918896_clap.gif

You may be dumb Jim Benning, but you're not stupid.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't get this comment.

The whole time management has been going towards bringing us in youth. Hell, two of the three staying up they drafted, the third they signed.

This isn't new thinking, this is them continuing on.

Not what I was referring too, but ok.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Wasn't Brandon McMillan waived at one point, and still ended up getting a playoff goal against Calgary?

Anyway, would prefer to see Hutton-Biega as a pairing, Weber with Hamhuis, and Barts or Sbisa as #7.

Agree with BG on WD's treatment of players since beginning. Treatment of Utica D call-ups, Lack, Kassian and Horvat (to a lesser extent) on one side of the ledger, and treatment of Miller, Dorsett, Vey and Sbisa on the other side.

I hope management is grooming a successor to Green for the Comets, and that Green is with the Canucks in a season or so. I would like to see what Baertschi can do with Horvat and Virtanen, with Green as head coach.

Good logic...oh and where is MacMillan now?

Oh right...

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Excellent news. I'd have liked Sbisa to be waived too and replaced with Biega/Corrado, but we'll see what happens at the TDL. Wouldn't be surprised to see Sbisa moved (if possible) if Corrado does well in Utica. I also think Hamhuis will be kept around for another 2-3 years as well, but Vrbata is gone at the TDL, IMO. He's the valuable piece that doesn't seem like he fits anymore. Too soft to play with the Sedins and too talented for a 3rd line wing role if the kid line works out.

An aside, I'm pretty sure this will be the last time Benning drops a 2nd or 3rd filling an "age gap" prospect now that he's seeing prospects make the big show. We're getting younger now with prospects making the big show and we surprisingly still have prospects in the pipeline simmering (Subban, Gaunce, Boeser, Pedan, Shinkaruk) for a pretty steady flow of immediate youth potentially pushing for roster spots next year in addition to whoever we draft.

We finally have youth in the lineup, which hasn't been the case since Hodgson - drafted in *2008*. It's a 4 year gap from then to 2012 when Hutton & Gaunce were drafted.

Nice to see some people who virtually guaranteed Vey would be on the opening night roster for "reasons" have admitted they were wrong though. Kudos.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
You could waive Sbisa all you want it's not like anyone is going to take him and you don't save much by sending him to Utica. I can see why they would eat that one they still need penalty killers and that's about the only place Sbisa is actually useful.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I am officially a fan of Jim Benning. He has the courage to admit his mistakes and give opportunities to deserving players.

I would have never imagined that Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton would be in the line-up come October at the beginning of the off-season.

This

So many on here have spent months mocking and piling on Benning, but one thing I like about him is he will make the tough decisions and isn't afraid to act on his own mistake.

Also really interested to see what the posters who have railed about the Kassian trade have to say now that what was always understood is completely obvious that this was a subtraction that had to be made.

arsmaster*

You could waive Sbisa all you want it's not like anyone is going to take him and you don't save much by sending him to Utica. I can see why they would eat that one they still need penalty killers and that's about the only place Sbisa is actually useful.

Management and coaching staff like Sbisa, plain and simple. They see him as a viable option in the top 4, period.

Not many if any around the board or around the league for that matter agree, but that's what we're dealing with.

3 more years.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Stanton has been put on waivers as well
This is all clearly a move to where Benning can pick up Vancouver fans' golden boy, Ryan Stanton
And Benning will be hailed a hero

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
This

So many on here have spent months mocking and piling on Benning, but one thing I like about him is he will make the tough decisions and isn't afraid to act on his own mistake.

Also really interested to see what the posters who have railed about the Kassian trade have to say now that what was always understood is completely obvious that this was a subtraction that had to be made.
That's crap. Waiving Vey and Corrado isn't a tough decision. Both were outplayed by younger players. In the case of Vey, McCann and Virtanen (or Cracknell, if we're going older/experienced) ate his lunch in the pre-season and Corrado got lapped by a guy with four games of pro experience (Hutton).

Call me when Benning waives Sbisa or Prust, two guys who will play meaningful roles on the team this year and will actively sink the team further into the sewer with every shift they take. Or how about Ryan Miller, a replacement-level NHL goaltender currently representing a $6M crater in the Canucks' cap.

Last edited:

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
I thought they only had to waive two players. I think they actually have room to grab someone off waivers now if they see someone decent. Wonder if they will?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This

This only seems like a 'tough decision' because of the way Vey was treated for the past year. He was a fringe forward who didn't dress in the playoffs and was the 13-14th guy last year. Guys like this earning $1 million or less lose their jobs *all the time* in the NHL.

Waiving Sbisa or Prust after they were the worst players on the team in the preseason would have been a 'tough decision'. Moving or buying out Miller this summer would have been a 'tough decision'.

Cutting a cheap fringe player who had a terrible season last year and a terrible preseason this year isn't a tough decision. Or shouldn't be.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
This is spot on.

He's set the bar so impossibly low that this sort of run-of-the-mill decision is considered something for major props.

Basically the guy who was our 13th-14th forward in the playoffs lost his job, and a waiver-eligible rookie didn't get a job after having a terrible camp. This isn't exactly earth-shattering, except that it represents a major turnaround in the ridiculous way Vey was treated for the last year+.

It's only a big deal because so many people said it wouldn't (couldn't) happen. If I didn't have to read pages and pages and pages of these narratives that turn out not to be true… there wouldn't be a reason to make a big deal out of it when it did.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Stanton has been put on waivers as well
This is all clearly a move to where Benning can pick up Vancouver fans' golden boy, Ryan Stanton
And Benning will be hailed a hero

Benning is waiting to pick up Kassian.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I just hope Benning learned from his mistakes. Trading assets for players that other organizations have given up on is not a smart strategy. There's no such thing as "too much youth," if guys like Clendening and Vey were good enough to be NHLers, their respective teams wouldn't have let them go. Jury still out on Pedan and Baertschi, but ideally we don't take these chances anymore and develop our own draft picks. It's proven to be a poor strategy.

To me Benning got a little cocky and thought he was smarter than other GMs for a while due to the fact that he "comes from a scouting background." He most certainly did not out-smart anyone and some veteran GMs took advantage. In a perfect world he has realized this and will focus on developing our own talent from now on.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's only a big deal because so many people said it wouldn't (couldn't) happen. If I didn't have to read pages and pages of these narratives that turn out not to be true… there wouldn't be a reason to make a big deal out of it when it did.

I didn't think it would happen ... but I also didn't think Vey would be THAT terrible. I assumed he'd pick up a point or two and have a good game or two against AHL rosters in the preseason and he'd stay.

But he was so hopelessly bad they really didn't have much of a choice.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I didn't think it would happen ... but I also didn't think Vey would be THAT terrible. I assumed he'd pick up a point or two and have a good game or two against AHL rosters in the preseason and he'd stay.

An act of god, then. No way anyone could have seen it coming :laugh:

arsmaster*

Interesting you're quoting the guy who loved on Vey and Bonino regularly for 12+ months.

Management and the coaching staff tried so hard to get something out of Vey this preseason and he just couldn't get anything done. Outperformed by everyone.

If this was actually based on merit, he'd have been long gone before Ronnie or Gaunce. They tried to get something out of him with tons of opportunity and they just couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad