Waived: Frank Corrado, Linden Vey, Alex Biega (UPDATE: Corrado claimed by TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

way to set the bar so low that you're a fan of a guy who constantly makes mistakes, but at least he's willing to admit to them.

Tell me about it. :shakehead

Making simple decisions, which is what waiving Linden Vey is, shouldn't be applauded like he acquired an Ehrhoff level talent for a bag of pucks, but it seems like that's the case.

Too many people are trying to turn this into a love fest for JB. He deserves kudos for waiving these guys because they're not NHL players, but to act like they're special moves is :help:

Making a whole pile of stupid decisions and then correcting those stupid decisions, shouldn't gain praise. The stupid decisions still happened.

This thread should be discussing the merit of the moves, it shouldn't be a :cheerleader: thread for the GM. There is literally nothing special about waiving players who don't belong.

All that said, knowing they could have protected one of them, is a bit of a smudge, no? Unnecessarily exposing an asset (if you want to call either one an asset) and creating cap space just seems like normal management. I imagine this is one of their team building, we believe in you, type moves for the guys that are still here.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
It's absolutely ridiculous that he went off and turfed one of the only players who actually did better than expected (Bonino) just makes zero sense.

If the deal were Bonino for Sutter straight up then I wouldn't have minded. In fact, Bonino and Clendening for Sutter seems to make some sense.

Things I don't get are:
a) the downgrade of a pick from a 2nd to a conditional 3rd when Benning called the 2016 draft deeper than the 2015 one.
b) the immediate "foundational" label and signing of Sutter to a bloated contract without seeing how he plays.

Oh well. I'm sure all the complaints about Benning have been listed ad nauseum. I'm looking forward to seeing what the kids can do on the team.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i dunno, when he ****s up everything and anything, cheerleading for benning when he ties his shoes is somewhat to be expected. it just shows how low the bar really is, even for people that ostensibly support him

this is a guy that moved eddie lack for peanuts instead of trading ryan miller while claiming that he had offers for the corpse. "admits his mistakes" isn't even a matter of opinion or misinterpretation - it's a blatant lie

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I am officially a fan of Jim Benning. He has the courage to admit his mistakes and give opportunities to deserving players.

I would have never imagined that Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton would be in the line-up come October at the beginning of the off-season.

Sbisa next? Prust? Miller? Sutter?

Keep cleaning house Jim while you are feeling brave.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I just heard the news, and I am surprised.

I have not seen this team reward its players based on merit, from preseason play, in decades.

This organization is doing the right thing today, and it will make this year more exciting for sure. :handclap:

I am hoping someone does claim Vey, simply because I just don't see any upside to him. Would be nice to not see him back with Van in a month.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
If we had placed Higgins on LTIR and kept Corrado up, wouldn't we have just had to waive Corrado when Higgins came back anyway? At a time when he'd be more likely to be claimed? Not a big deal really.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
i dunno, when he ****s up everything and anything, cheerleading for benning when he ties his shoes is somewhat to be expected. it just shows how low the bar really is, even for people that ostensibly support him

this is a guy that moved eddie lack for peanuts instead of trading ryan miller while claiming that he had offers for the corpse. "admits his mistakes" isn't even a matter of opinion or misinterpretation - it's a blatant lie

awwwwww somebody was proven wrong

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
less expensive, yes.

Better, no way. Sbisa can kinda kill penalties. and he had one nice long stretch pass to Kenins lol.

Biega played better than Corrado, and i have a good feeling that right now Subban is the better player. Just a feeling though.

Corrado hasn't been very good the last couple years, but he'd still make the team better than Sbisa, if only because he'd be given icetime commensurate to his (lack of) skill level, instead of being shoveled on to the ice like a rotting corpse for 18 minute a night.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
If the deal were Bonino for Sutter straight up then I wouldn't have minded. In fact, Bonino and Clendening for Sutter seems to make some sense.

Things I don't get are:
a) the downgrade of a pick from a 2nd to a conditional 3rd when Benning called the 2016 draft deeper than the 2015 one.
b) the immediate "foundational" label and signing of Sutter to a bloated contract without seeing how he plays.

Oh well. I'm sure all the complaints about Benning have been listed ad nauseum. I'm looking forward to seeing what the kids can do on the team.

Even straight up I wouldn't have touched it with a 10 FT pole.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Tell me about it. :shakehead

Making simple decisions, which is what waiving Linden Vey is, shouldn't be applauded like he acquired an Ehrhoff level talent for a bag of pucks, but it seems like that's the case.

Too many people are trying to turn this into a love fest for JB. He deserves kudos for waiving these guys because they're not NHL players, but to act like they're special moves is :help:

Making a whole pile of stupid decisions and then correcting those stupid decisions, shouldn't gain praise. The stupid decisions still happened.

This thread should be discussing the merit of the moves, it shouldn't be a :cheerleader: thread for the GM. There is literally nothing special about waiving players who don't belong.

All that said, knowing they could have protected one of them, is a bit of a smudge, no? Unnecessarily exposing an asset (if you want to call either one an asset) and creating cap space just seems like normal management. I imagine this is one of their team building, we believe in you, type moves for the guys that are still here.

none of the decisions he made were necessarily simple

there would have been guys in the same room who wanted to go different directions

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
none of the decisions he made were necessarily simple

there would have been guys in the same room who wanted to go different directions

Another thing is, if the Canucks no longer had Corrado in their long term plans and rather invest their resources in Hutton, Tryamkim, Pedan, etc. moving forward, then it makes sense.

It's similar to what they did with Stanton. Some wanted him to be re-signed for depth, but they didn't offer him anything. If he was signed, Hutton and Corrado would have been further down the depth chart. So it's really about opening spots for new prospects.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I hope biega and coraddo make it back i think will both be will in are future. Frankie is still solid and smooth but needs to really chalenge himself and go for the next step. Biega is getting better could see him being are 6/7 next year

I liked vey and still think has a chance but not now he didnt do enough in the off season to be in the nhl i hope in utica takes this the right way and can get to more ready nhl level

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Waiving these two guys was the right move, but it's pretty hard to give Benning credit for making the right move here when he's ****ed up literally every other major transaction that required more than five minutes of thought.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
If we had placed Higgins on LTIR and kept Corrado up, wouldn't we have just had to waive Corrado when Higgins came back anyway? At a time when he'd be more likely to be claimed? Not a big deal really.
Yeah, putting Higgins on LTIR and waiving Corrado when Higgins gets back might make it more likely someone would claim him. There's a glut of talented players on waivers right now. Doing it a few games into the season opens up the possibility someone grabs him to fill an injury sustained early in the season.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

Actually, putting Higgins on LTIR and waiving Corrado when Higgins gets back might make it more likely someone would claim him. There's a glut of talented players on waivers right now. Doing it a few games into the season opens up the possibility someone grabs him to fill an injury sustained early in the season.

Why, he's unlikely to play, he would have been the 8th dman, remember when that was JB's plan?

Lets stop pretending like waiving players when they aren't good enough is strategic.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Actually, putting Higgins on LTIR and waiving Corrado when Higgins gets back might make it more likely someone would claim him. There's a glut of talented players on waivers right now. Doing it a few games into the season opens up the possibility someone grabs him to fill an injury sustained early in the season.

Yeah.

Keeping Corrado here is just keeping an undeserving player in the pressbox when he needs AHL game action ... at the same time as actually *increasing* the odds he gets claimed. And it saves the team a bit of money, too.

Absolutely the correct decision.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

If only we didn't have 18 million tied up i garbage players :laugh:

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Why, he's unlikely to play, he would have been the 8th dman, remember when that was JB's plan?

Lets stop pretending like waiving players when they aren't good enough is strategic.
Sending someone down who's not ready isn't strategic, no. Timing definitely can be strategic though. Remember sneaking Markstrom through waivers after playing him in an untelevised preseason game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad