Waived: Frank Corrado, Linden Vey, Alex Biega (UPDATE: Corrado claimed by TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Waiving guys who didn't look good in training camp is nothing special. Waiving guys who were full time roster players last year (Vey and Kenins) or our former #1 D prospect (Corrado) in favour of two 19 year olds and a 22 year old fresh out of college does not appear to be so run of the mill. What's the average age of the roster now?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Waiving Vey and Corrado were obvious moves that any sane GM would make. No tough decisions were made.

less expensive, yes.

Better, no way. Sbisa can kinda kill penalties. and he had one nice long stretch pass to Kenins lol.

Biega played better than Corrado, and i have a good feeling that right now Subban is the better player. Just a feeling though.

I don't believe that Sbisa is a good penalty killer.

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006
Corrado is good as gone. Strange that for a team lacking defensive depth, we are willing to expose one of our only young defensive prospects.

I love that Hutton has made this team - he fully deserves it - but feel like there could have been something else done to make sure Corrado doesn't get scooped?

Doubt anyone takes Vey (maybe Carolina or NJ), and he could be a top scorer in Utica for the season and likely used as an injury replacement at some point.

In short, love the youth movement, but losing Corrado for nothing will sting.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i assume corrado would be waived but we can hope for once jim benning, being the GM of an nhl team, has the wherewithal to know that corrado will clear. hopefully if he had any idea that corrado might be claimed, he would have gone through the steps to keep him up

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
If Marky shows well, look to trade Millsy during the season - or hang onto him and look to move him in summer if we're really in the hunt.

Sutter will be invaluable by the time game 60 rolls around. Dude is still adjusting.

Feeling real good about this team right now, considering.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
What makes you think Corrado will get claimed?

There are better players in the waiver wire

this isnt how people operate. they dont just take everyone on the waiver wire, make an ordered list of Best To Worst and claim the highest ones. corrado is young and has a history of success at the nhl level. GMs remember that ****

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
there's probably a 50/50 chance each on vey and corrado, realistically

its just annoying that people would happily take that chance with a thing of value rather than like, get an anchor off the roster instead

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
there's probably a 50/50 chance each on vey and corrado, realistically

Again, last year something like 4/250 waived players were claimed. The previous year it was 5/250.

Your numbers aren't based in reality.

Corrado might get claimed but history tells us it's not likely.

Every team has young guys who looked good in camp that they were disappointed to cut. They aren't dying for someone else's mediocre prospect to toss into the mix.

People equate "we would prefer this player not to get claimed" with "well, if we want him, someone else must be keen to claim him" and that's not how it works. These things don't happen in isolation.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
not every player on waivers is of the same quality. that number could be 5/1000, it doesn't really have a lot of use.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
this isnt how people operate. they dont just take everyone on the waiver wire, make an ordered list of Best To Worst and claim the highest ones. corrado is young and has a history of success at the nhl level. GMs remember that ****

They have to put what is a massive project on their roster and teams with high hopes for this year won't be willing to do that. Not to mention that most teams at this point in the year have their own young players that they want to try out. It's been what like 2 years since Corrado has shown any real potential? I don't think he's really hot on anyone's radar. Not an overly big name either.

Even if some team is willing to dedicate a spot to a developing a waiver wire pickup, Stanton and Barberio are better options IMO.

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
The thing to remember is that picking up a guy off waivers isn't just a free asset to put into your system. He will actually need to be part of your 23 man NHL roster.

We have a pretty weak D group and Corrado wasn't good enough to make it. Is that someone teams are going to be excited to throw into their NHL lineup? Doubt it. I'd be surprised if he gets snagged.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
hes on a two way contract. possession of his deal is as low risk as you can possibly get - he is a quality AHL player on a two way contract with a chance of becoming a player. he is a completely riskless asset, unless you're concerned about the negligible amount of money you need to transfer to complete a waiver claim

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
The thing to remember is that picking up a guy off waivers isn't just a free asset to put into your system. He will actually need to be part of your 23 man NHL roster.

We have a pretty weak D group and Corrado wasn't good enough to make it. Is that someone teams are going to be excited to throw into their NHL lineup? Doubt it. I'd be surprised if he gets snagged.

if sbisa keeled over tomorrow, our d group would be fine

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006
What makes you think Corrado will get claimed?

There are better players on the waiver wire

I can't think of any other 22 year old d-men with upside who have already shown they're capable of playing in the show who are on waivers.

Please, inform me.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I can't think of any other 22 year old d-men with upside who have already shown they're capable of playing in the show who are on waivers.

Please, inform me.

Corrado isn't capable of playing in the NHL right now and hasn't been for a while now. He needs to completely rework his game to get back to the player we saw against San Jose and in the following camp.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

Please, inform me.

Erixon and Olsen are pretty close to ticking all of those boxes.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
they're both 24. if corrado was 24, he would have no chance of being claimed. he's 22.

this is something people are ****ing up too. in any other situation, corrado would be 23, or he would not be waiver eligible. his ability when he was young has screwed him out of a year of protection and he's really not comparable to all the stantons, biegas, erixons, olsens etc

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
The thing about waivers is, you have to use the guy you claim on your NHL team. Whether you put him in the line-up or sit him in the pressbox, it's not much use. If you send him back down, the original team who put him on waivers (ie Vancouver for Corrado) would have first crack at claiming Corrado back.

So of all the 29 teams in the league, can Corrado crack the top 7?

Vancouver doesn't have a deep blueline and Corrado couldn't make out top 7. I don't think he gets claimed even though he showed promise before

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006
Erixon and Olsen are pretty close to ticking all of those boxes.

Erixon is on his 6TH!!!! team already. Clearly he hasn't shown anyone he can stick around. Olsen was another surprise to be on the wire. He's the closest thing to Corrado, but has less offensive upside I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad