Waived: Frank Corrado, Linden Vey, Alex Biega (UPDATE: Corrado claimed by TOR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
If this was actually based on merit, he'd have been long gone before Ronnie or Gaunce. They tried to get something out of him with tons of opportunity and they just couldn't.
Gaunce and Kenins can be sent down without needing waivers while Vey is exposed. Of course you are going to keep Vey up longer to see if it's really necessary to send him down and take that risk.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Good news, don't think Benning deserves much credit for this though because Linden Vey shouldn't have even been qualified this summer. That being said, I'm kind of hoping Vey clears and helps Shinkaruk out.

As Linden and MS have mainly said, losing Biega is the only real threat here. He looked excellent paired with Hutton during the preseason. I didn't think he was anything in his tenure in the NHL last year, but he was excellent in the preseason. He drove possession better than any of our d-man and was a rock defensively.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
This only seems like a 'tough decision' because of the way Vey was treated for the past year. He was a fringe forward who didn't dress in the playoffs and was the 13-14th guy last year. Guys like this earning $1 million or less lose their jobs *all the time* in the NHL.

Waiving Sbisa or Prust after they were the worst players on the team in the preseason would have been a 'tough decision'. Moving or buying out Miller this summer would have been a 'tough decision'.

Cutting a cheap fringe player who had a terrible season last year and a terrible preseason this year isn't a tough decision. Or shouldn't be.

Pretty much this.

Benning needs to do a ton to restore his job viability long term and I doubt he can do it with his body or work so far.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Gaunce and Kenins can be sent down without needing waivers while Vey is exposed. Of course you are going to keep Vey up longer to see if it's really necessary to send him down and take that risk.

Hoping Gaunce is the call up once Canucks have submitted the roster on the 8th and Higgins is officially put on the LTIR.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Hoping Gaunce is the call up once Canucks have submitted the roster on the 8th and Higgins is officially put on the LTIR.
Yeah, Gaunce deserves some games for sure. I'm not sad he's going to be in Utica leading the charge for the Comets, but he's proved he's an NHL calibre player to me.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009

Linden said on 1040 they won't be putting Higgins on IR

Omar R ‏@omarcanuck 10m10 minutes ago
Linden says if they wanted to put Higgins on LTIR they could've and kept Corrado. They decided not to.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
I am officially a fan of Jim Benning. He has the courage to admit his mistakes and give opportunities to deserving players.

I would have never imagined that Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton would be in the line-up come October at the beginning of the off-season.

way to set the bar so low that you're a fan of a guy who constantly makes mistakes, but at least he's willing to admit to them.

As a die hard long-time Canuck fan, I'll never be a fan on incompetent management, even if they're willing to admit they make mistakes. Stop making so many franchise impacting mistakes in the first place, and then I become a fan.

Benning's admitted to making a mistake on his pro evaluation of Vey - though my guess is that this was WD's guy from the beginning, making it much easier for him to just "admit his mistake" and move on...

This is still the GM who has dished out terrible contracts after terrible contract.... still the guy who's been way off the mark in every one of his pro evaluations - not just Vey, but Clendenning, Sbisa, Miller, Sutter, Prust, Dorsett, and Bonino - with the exception of Vrbata, every player he has acquired via trade or signed, has not worked or are way too overpaid for the role they actually fill. Almost every trade he's made has been bad.

Only thing Benning has done right, IMO, is his drafting. I'm officially a fan of his drafting even though we won't know the actual results for a while. But he's so bad in so many other areas, and I'm way too big a diehard fan who loves this team, to be a fan of any GM who's as bad as this, even though they make a move that seems to show "he admits his mistakes."

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Linden said on 1040 they won't be putting Higgins on IR

That kind of flies in the face, predictably really, of the "capspace problem" narrative.

I would suspect they suspect Higgins to be ready earlier and they want him in the lineup ASAP. Makes sense, he is a pretty good player.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
That kind of flies in the face, predictably really, of the "capspace problem" narrative.

I would suspect they suspect Higgins to be ready earlier and they want him in the lineup ASAP. Makes sense, he is a pretty good player.

I don't know, I'd say having $246K in cap space with a 22 man healthy roster isn't the ideal situation to be in. There's basically no room for any short term injury replacements.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Where did anyone get the idea that Higgins was going to be on LTIR btw?

It's not like he broke his leg and is expected to be out for months on end...thought they said it would be like a month he was out.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
I don't know, I'd say having $246K in cap space with a 22 man healthy roster isn't the ideal situation to be in. There's basically no room for any short term injury replacements.

We have a lot of young guys ready to fill those spots through call ups

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Where did anyone get the idea that Higgins was going to be on LTIR btw?

It's not like he broke his leg and is expected to be out for months on end...thought they said it would be like a month he was out.

Linden confirmed they could have put him on LTIR and had both Corrado/Hutton on the opening day roster.

He should be back in ~2 weeks, but they could have avoided waiving Corrado at this point.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

There is cap issues no doubt. With the current roster they have no room for a short term injury call up. No one to replace the ubiquitous "day to day" injuries.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Lol. Sbisa, Prust and to a lesser extent Bartkowski are not deserving players.

ya, as long as sbisa and prust are here, he's only half way there vOv

good work on some of the decisions at least benning

edit: wait, they could have kept corrado safe by putting higgins on LTIR? nevermind i take it back

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
This

So many on here have spent months mocking and piling on Benning, but one thing I like about him is he will make the tough decisions and isn't afraid to act on his own mistake.

he said, boldly, about the man that extended luca sbisa six months ago - unaware or uncaring of how ridiculous the proclamation looked

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I'm happy Vey was waived but I'm still not that impressed. Benning has shown he's willing to walk away from his minor gambles (Bonino, Clendening, Vey) after a year or so, but he doubles down on the important ones. Sutter opening the season on the top line is downright laughable.

The team could also have easily slotted Corrado into Sbisa's slot this season or last season and been A) better, and B) less expensive.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I thought they'd have kept Vey on as a 13th utility sub. In case of injury in the top 9, better to slot Vey in than push Dorsett/Prust up the line up. Oh well, hope he clears and goes down to Utica and lights it up. Books not closed on the Vey saga just yet.

But I'd gladly lose 5 Veys to get a bit of sanity back in these boards.

Coming into camp I felt Corrado would emerge over the course of the season and cement himself into a spot beside Hamhuis on the second pairing. Guess it could still happen, but.....

Glad we've got young players making guys like Vey and Corrado expendable (and Biega I guess, the new Santorelli/Stanton around here). Overall I've had a pretty positive outlook towards the moves Lindenning have been making, and seeing so many young guys have such outstanding camps just further reinforces my belief that the future is bright here.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I'm happy Vey was waived but I'm still not that impressed. Benning has shown he's willing to walk away from his minor gambles (Bonino, Clendening, Vey) after a year or so, but he doubles down on the important ones. Sutter opening the season on the top line is downright laughable.

The team could also have easily slotted Corrado into Sbisa's slot this season or last season and been A) better, and B) less expensive.

It's absolutely ridiculous that he went off and turfed one of the only players who actually did better than expected (Bonino) just makes zero sense.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

We have $246k in cap space if someone picks up Vey. If not and he's assigned to Utica, then $100k of his salary counts against our cap. So $146k of space.

Here's to good health.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006

less expensive, yes.

Better, no way. Sbisa can kinda kill penalties. and he had one nice long stretch pass to Kenins lol.

Biega played better than Corrado, and i have a good feeling that right now Subban is the better player. Just a feeling though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad