Rumor: Spittin' Chiclets: Leafs working on a Marner extension

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
that’s not what he said?
He said both sides wanted to look good, and it was delicate. He said that Ferris advises his players to go to ufa.

He has about Marner literally Friday.
It’s never “Marner isn’t accepting a trade”

It’s interesting.
Mirtle.
Adam Wylde (yes I know but he is the boss of Allan Walsh and CJ)
And seravalli all are saying his going

Dregs/lebrun/friedman more unsure
Lebrun:
As I wrote a few weeks ago, the Marner camp, led by agent Darren Ferris isn’t putting together a list of teams for a potential trade. The focus for Marner, who has a full no-move clause, is on honoring the remaining year of his contract and seeing where things go from there," LeBrun wrote.

"That also means I don’t think there’s an appetite to talk extension come July 1. The preference from the Marner camp is to start the season and see how things go. Perhaps there are talks on an extension eventually, but I don’t believe there’s a strong desire to get into them this summer."

Freidman:
One of the things a few people have told me is not to be surprised if this plays out over next season with Marner in Toronto," Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman said on 32 Thoughts on Monday.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lebrun:
As I wrote a few weeks ago, the Marner camp, led by agent Darren Ferris isn’t putting together a list of teams for a potential trade. The focus for Marner, who has a full no-move clause, is on honoring the remaining year of his contract and seeing where things go from there," LeBrun wrote.

"That also means I don’t think there’s an appetite to talk extension come July 1. The preference from the Marner camp is to start the season and see how things go. Perhaps there are talks on an extension eventually, but I don’t believe there’s a strong desire to get into them this summer."

Freidman:
One of the things a few people have told me is not to be surprised if this plays out over next season with Marner in Toronto," Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman said on 32 Thoughts on Monday.

Neither of those things say what that poster wrote

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Agreed, but it doesn’t sound like he’ll be going anywhere.

It’s really up in the air.
Friedman said it was delicate and it’s all about messaging.

The ones who are the most definitive are the frank/mirtle/Wyde camp who are all saying he’s gone.

The rest are saying it’s going to play out over the season.

We will see I guess

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
that’s not what he said?
He said both sides wanted to look good, and it was delicate. He said that Ferris advises his players to go to ufa.

He has about Marner literally Friday.
It’s never “Marner isn’t accepting a trade”

It’s interesting.
Mirtle.
Adam Wylde (yes I know but he is the boss of Allan Walsh and CJ)
And seravalli all are saying his going

Dregs/lebrun/friedman more unsure
Adam Wylde is a business partner, rather than boss of either of those guys.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Adam Wylde is a business partner, rather than boss of either of those guys.

No. He owns the SDPN with the 2 guys. The others work for him.

CJ always says that they are his bosses. Which is true. Either way. They are all close.

Wylde openly and repeatedly has said that he is talking from a place of authority. Not that he is guessing but that people around the situation are clear about it.

He doesn’t normally. Not that I listen all the time. But enough to see a real difference

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
No. He owns the SDPN with the 2 guys. The others work for him.

CJ always says that they are his bosses. Which is true. Either way. They are all close.

Wylde openly and repeatedly has said that he is talking from a place of authority. Not that he is guessing but that people around the situation are clear about it.

He doesn’t normally. Not that I listen all the time. But enough to see a real difference
In terms of the broadcast yes. But the way you put it seems like you are saying as if Adam Wydle knows everything that Walsh or CJ knows about these situations.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Leafs are gonna have to dump Tavares somewhere at a huge loss if they resign Marner, which ironically would be better than just letting Marner walk away for nothing.

edit: nevermind, thought Marner's current contract was already expired, JT is only signed through this season so they can have both of them for this upcoming season without issue. JT is likely gone next offseason though.

Last edited:

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I would be very interested, what would the + be?

Tbh im not sure because the thought never crossed my mind until Kevin Weekes mentioned the possibility. I would be against trading Clarke as i think it would be a huge mistake after seeing what Bouchard an offensive minded dman has been doing partnered with a stay at home dman like Ekholm but if i had to guess i would say

Clarke + a pick + a prospect or Kaliyev possibly added as well

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
f*** that

I agree with you but unfortunately Blake is desperate

Clarke should be the heir apparent to Doughty as we already lost Faber . And I think it would be a big mistake because look what an offensive minded dman in Bouchard is doing with a stay at home dman in Ekholm . Hes an integral part in Oilers run and Clarke is something we have been missing in our lineup and would be a game changer for us .

After i saw Clarke try the michigan late in a game to tie it i knew he would develop to be an elite dman offensively and can fine tune the defensive side of things and be our replacement to Doughty eventually.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
To be fair, a Marner extension is better than a bad Marner trade where the Leafs wind up with egg on their face. This may be an admission that they - the Leafs' brainstrust - cannot make a trade which makes sense, given the limits of finding a team which will make a reasonable trade - and which is a team Marner will agree to go to.
You are attempting to apply logic and reason to the Maple Leaf franchise. That is historically a dangerous thing to do.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Tbh im not sure because the thought never crossed my mind until Kevin Weekes mentioned the possibility. I would be against trading Clarke as i think it would be a huge mistake after seeing what Bouchard an offensive minded dman has been doing partnered with a stay at home dman like Ekholm but if i had to guess i would say

Clarke + a pick + a prospect or Kaliyev possibly added as well
Would Clarke + Danault be completely off the table?

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Would Clarke + Danault be completely off the table?

100% off the table . Danault is very important and played 83% of his TOI against Mcdavid this year in the playoffs and thats after 3 years in a row in tbe post season . He is one of the best shutdown centers in the league and only makes us stronger down the middle

Reactions: Visnovsky

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Keep Marner and sign him to a longterm deal. He’s only 26 years old. Has another 10 years of good hockey left. Continue to work with him and develop his game even more

Next year the cap goes up again and Tavares is no longer making $11 million. That’s probably $15 million in cap space.

If McDavid is not signed by his UFA you make a big play to bring him home.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint and Roo

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Not to mention this cat appears to think some team would just eat the whole Tavares contract and free up 11 million.
Yup and even if that were to happen, Nylander’s 11.5m will be on the books and they’ll just be replacing Tavares’ cap hit with that and signing Marner to the 13.5 he probably wants will just continue the problem with this team but they won’t even have a 2C going ahead.

Resigning Marner is a very stupid decision. Not as stupid as Dubas giving a full NMC at the end of his deal and letting Marner’s team bully him into giving a blank cheque but close. 13.5m is a lot of cap space plus with Tavares coming off the books, they have a real chance of restructuring this team and filling out depth positions…. Or they could double down for the 8th time.

Reactions: Petrus and Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lebrun:

Freidman:
Sure sounds like MM wants to stay in Toronto and play out his current contract’s last year. If it goes well, which it will; the Leafs are a good regular season club, then he likely signs an extension during the season. IMO it will be 12.5 x 8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad