Waived: Frank Corrado, Linden Vey, Alex Biega (UPDATE: Corrado claimed by TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
so Corrado is probably gone. guessing Edmonton takes a shot at him. the really ballsy decision should have been to waive sbisa.

Edmonton could kind of screw our quality depth if they did. I guess the draw back always is that they could screw themselves if he is not an NHLer at this point. He is used to an OK team defense here, wait til you see what Edmonton team defense is like.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
YOUTH MOVEMENT!

Didn't think Benning had the balls waive Vey. Cracknell played admirably as a 4th liner and is the guy that can pop in and out of the 4th line as they shuffle around to find a fit for the kids. Obviously his speed and skill relegate him to only 4th line duties... but it would allows others to shuffle about.
Corrado and Beiga were no brainers...

Utica gets a huge boost... They add (if he clears) an AHL caliber #1 Center they greatly needed that will put up greater than a PPG... should hopefully help the Shinkaruks and Gaunces of the team find their next levels of offense.

Anyone figure out the average age of our club now?

I'll wait until the nine games for final accounting.

But truly, if getting younger was the be all and end all, there is nothing more they could have done with what they have. Baertschi, McCann, Virtannen, and Hutton all getting chances plus Willie on record he's comfortable with Gaunce playing for him, so there is a cup of coffee waiting if Brandon does his part on the farm. 3.5 (Bae) raw rookies is a lot even for a non contending full speed ahead youth movement club publically confirmed as such. Folks are getting what they wanted. Question: Will it Benning's fault if the team doesn't tank hard enough and adds a top 5 pick?:popcorn:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Great to see that Vey didn't get any more special treatment.

Would have liked to have given Corrado some time, though. He used to be a much better player, and I feel like it's a matter of him overthinking the game and playing nervous. Thought some time with the club to settle into the role would help him out. If he doesn't get claimed, though, it's no big deal.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Glad to see them make a couple of the right roster decisions, although they still don't have the most deserving player in every spot. Thought Biega should be kept around.

Honestly though, this is just an encouraging blip on an otherwise terrible run of management, unless it helps them realize how truly awful their pro-scouting has been.

Yeah ... it's nice that they've gotten rid of one of their mistakes.

But Vey was SO horrible for so long that they really had no choice. They tried everything this preseason to give him an opportunity to show anything.

We still have Sbisa/Miller/Prust collecting $12 million as total junk. And Sutter/Dorsett horribly overpaid. And Bartkowski didn't exactly look good.

But given how badly they've botched everything, I'll take getting this one thing right. Happy we don't have to watch Vey anymore. Plus it means Horvat probably actually gets PP time.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Edmonton could kind of screw our quality depth if they did. I guess the draw back always is that they could screw themselves if he is not an NHLer at this point. He is used to an OK team defense here, wait til you see what Edmonton team defense is like.

They would be smarter to claim Biega

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC

But Vey was SO horrible for so long that they really had no choice. They tried everything this preseason to give him an opportunity to show anything.

We still have Sbisa/Miller/Prust collecting $12 million as total junk. And Sutter/Dorsett horribly overpaid. And Bartkowski didn't exactly look good.

But given how badly they've botched everything, I'll take getting this one thing right. Happy we don't have to watch Vey anymore. Plus it means Horvat probably actually gets PP time.

Sedin-Sedin-McCann

Edler-Vrbata

//////

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Hutton-Hamhuis

as our PP units? This could be fun.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
Well Benning, this is a good step to getting some faith renewed in you.

Everybody's talking about getting some faith renewed in Benning, given he's shown he's willing to "his" players shortly after acquiring them, but he's still not excused for bleeding assets to acquire them in the first place. In my mind he hasn't gained a shred of extra respect.

The problem with all these deals is that getting players on the cusp of waiver eligibility means that the worst case scenario is immediate and well-defined: If they don't pan out, you lose them for nothing within a very short time. Not that I'm concerned with losing Vey and Clendening, but I am concerned that this poor foresight led to losing a 2nd and Forsling (and some % of the 2nd round pick we gave up in the Sutter deal).

I'll gain some semblance of respect for Benning when he starts making rational decisions where he's not just throwing away draft picks and young assets. That or when he stops his frustrating habit of throwing out premature, massive contracts based on how good he thinks that player looks on his whiteboard.

I'm willing to consider his ability to grow and learn as a GM, but considering Linden was adamant about getting somebody with experience, I don't have much patience for his learning on the job. If he throws out more youth/picks and signs Prust to a multi-year deal worth >$1m a year then I hope to god that is the last straw.

That all said, I'm happy that this team is keeping Virtanen, McCann, and Hutton. And as for the waived players I'm hoping all 3 clear and we see Biega, Gaunce, and Kenins back and playing key roles with the big club at some point during the season. I also hope Vey and Corrado tear up the AHL (along with the rest of the Comets).

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
Wow. For the first time in...ever?...it seems that jobs really were won and lost at training camp. McCann outplaying Vey (and every other kid) and being rewarded is fun, but Cracknell is a great story, the 30 year old journeyman getting a break. Well, for now.

Would love to see a true kid line of Baert-Horvat-Virt, not that I would expect them to dominate as they did against Edmonton (except against Edmonton) but they would always be a threat to score, and would shift some of the defensive heat away from our aging first line.

With Sutter holding down a shut-down line with some pop, and a fourth line to TCB as required.

This is a dream scenario, really.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Yeah, Biega is the bigger worry.

As for Edmonton, they have at least 10 defenders better than Corrado. They aren't claiming him.
This is saying a lot, too. Edmonton's defence the past couple years has been easily the worst in the league. Corrado took a major step back last season and should be focusing on rescuing his career this year in Utica.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Wow. For the first time in...ever?...it seems that jobs really were won and lost at training camp. McCann outplaying Vey (and every other kid) and being rewarded is fun, but Cracknell is a great story, the 30 year old journeyman getting a break. Well, for now.

Would love to see a true kid line of Baert-Horvat-Virt, not that I would expect them to dominate as they did against Edmonton (except against Edmonton) but they would always be a threat to score, and would shift some of the defensive heat away from our aging first line.

With Sutter holding down a shut-down line with some pop, and a fourth line to TCB as required.

This is a dream scenario, really.

I suspect that will be the line starting in January...

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'll wait until the nine games for final accounting.

But truly, if getting younger was the be all and end all, there is nothing more they could have done with what they have. Baertschi, McCann, Virtannen, and Hutton all getting chances plus Willie on record he's comfortable with Gaunce playing for him, so there is a cup of coffee waiting if Brandon does his part on the farm. 3.5 (Bae) raw rookies is a lot even for a non contending full speed ahead youth movement club publically confirmed as such. Folks are getting what they wanted. Question: Will it Benning's fault if the team doesn't tank hard enough and adds a top 5 pick?:popcorn:

Of course it will perceived as such.

We will be a 100 pt team again this season.... The mobility of our D is exciting as hell.

Until the final game and a half.... Weber did not look great. Considering the Dman types, I see Hutton/Weber switching on and off to start the season.

Upfront, after the Sedins, the 2nd line going into the season vs how it ended last yr:

Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata vs Baert-Horvat-Vrbata
That's the question mark for me... I have high hopes tho.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I was really pulling for Vey last season and hoped off-season would have given him time to work on things to up the performance this pre-season.

Disappointing he didn't, to his own detriment.

On the other hand, i'm glad management did the best thing for the team, and went with another youth asset who was showing better through the preseason.

If he passes through to Utica, I hope it's a big wake up call for Vey.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Honestly, if Baer works out as a top 6 forward then the gambles don't look that bad. Burning two 2nds for an under 25 top 6er is good value. Just happens that the first swing was a massive whiff. Can't hit a home run if you don't swing though.

Now if only he could actually judge pro players...

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Yeah hope they both clear, Utica needs them. Should've sent them down a lot earlier really.

I disagree. Now is the best time to put these guys on waivers as most teams have already finalized their line-ups and there is an influx of players going through waivers so it's easier to "sneak" guys through at this point.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

"the other thing is our coach wants him, our coach really likes him and wants him."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad