Waived: Frank Corrado, Linden Vey, Alex Biega (UPDATE: Corrado claimed by TOR)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Frank Corrado ‏@frankcorrado22 17m17 minutes ago
Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.

Good to see he has taken it the right way, I really hope he doesn't get claimed as I can still see the potential in him but his development has stalled a bit recently. Hopefully he has a big year over in Utica.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Disagree.

Disagree with the trade being a good gamble as well.

This player had 4 goals and 7 assists over his last 50 NHL games last year.

The hot streak he had at the beginning of the season was just the coach and management trying to justify the trade. He's an AHLer.

Pretty easy to assess after, doesn't make it true before you try though...at the time it was a good gamble...

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Mr Super Scout didn't just qualify him though - he gave him a raise.;)

Therein lies the real problem. Benning needs to stop overpaying marginal players. Like everyone he's signed besides Vrbata.

Disagree.

Disagree with the trade being a good gamble as well.

This player had 4 goals and 7 assists over his last 50 NHL games last year.

The hot streak he had at the beginning of the season was just the coach and management trying to justify the trade. He's an AHLer.

At the time of the trade he was a top-line AHL forward at age 22/23. Those were decent signs. And for a team with weak prospect depth, I can at least see the rationale for the move. I'm as critical of Benning as anyone, but I can at least see the logic to that move, unlike a lot of the ones Benning made. You can't apply hindsight reasoning to the evaluation at the time. His season didn't go as well as we planned. I still think it was a decent gamble. You lose some.

In terms of asset management, qualifying him was the right decision (even though he wasn't just qualified...he got a raise). Management should be methodical. He's an asset of some sort. If we can take nothing and turn into something of small value, it's a win. I'm not a big fan of Vey either, and it's odd to find myself in the position of Benning defender, but I'm just trying to state how I view the situation.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Hopefully this is a step towards a new thinking for this management. Too bad Sbisa is safe.

I don't get this comment.

The whole time management has been going towards bringing us in youth. Hell, two of the three staying up they drafted, the third they signed.

This isn't new thinking, this is them continuing on.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pretty easy to assess after, doesn't make it true before you try though...at the time it was a good gamble...

This isn't hindsight. This is exactly what we were saying about the Vey extension at the time.

You can excuse the initial trade. It was probably an overpayment, but worth a shot I guess if you liked the player.

After a season where he was a colossal failure, he should have been released. Or at the very least, actually negotiated with.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
I don't get this comment.

The whole time management has been going towards bringing us in youth. Hell, two of the three staying up they drafted, the third they signed.

This isn't new thinking, this is them continuing on.

He's not talking about the youth movement, he's talking about not doubling down on mistakes.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
YOUTH MOVEMENT!

Didn't think Benning had the balls waive Vey. Cracknell played admirably as a 4th liner and is the guy that can pop in and out of the 4th line as they shuffle around to find a fit for the kids. Obviously his speed and skill relegate him to only 4th line duties... but it would allows others to shuffle about.
Corrado and Beiga were no brainers...

Utica gets a huge boost... They add (if he clears) an AHL caliber #1 Center they greatly needed that will put up greater than a PPG... should hopefully help the Shinkaruks and Gaunces of the team find their next levels of offense.

Anyone figure out the average age of our club now?

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
This isn't hindsight. This is exactly what we were saying about the Vey extension at the time.

You can excuse the initial trade. It was probably an overpayment, but worth a shot I guess if you liked the player.

After a season where he was a colossal failure, he should have been released. Or at the very least, actually negotiated with.

I was talking about the initial trade...the extension, yeah it was a bit too much...but it was better to sign him for something then lose him for nothing and give him achance to show or go.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Just realized the only remaining players from the old forward core is Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Hansen, and Higgins. Benning has changed 60% of the forward roster in just one year.

arsmaster*

I said exactly the same thing when we wasted the 2nd round pick to acquire this player.

Vey's agent wanted guaranteed money for his client, when in reality, he should have pushed for a lower salary which would have likely made him a more desirable NHL option.

For $1m, teams can do way better on the waiver wire. This guy can't hack the top 6, and sucks in the bottom 6. At least with a guy like Friberg, he can run around and do the Hansen/Kenins thing from the bottom 6, and he's younger and slipped through waivers.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Vey is gone! Vey is gone!

Never thought this would happen.

Wasn't Brandon McMillan waived at one point, and still ended up getting a playoff goal against Calgary?

Anyway, would prefer to see Hutton-Biega as a pairing, Weber with Hamhuis, and Barts or Sbisa as #7.

Agree with BG on WD's treatment of players since beginning. Treatment of Utica D call-ups, Lack, Kassian and Horvat (to a lesser extent) on one side of the ledger, and treatment of Miller, Dorsett, Vey and Sbisa on the other side.

I hope management is grooming a successor to Green for the Comets, and that Green is with the Canucks in a season or so. I would like to see what Baertschi can do with Horvat and Virtanen, with Green as head coach.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I said exactly the same thing when we wasted the 2nd round pick to acquire this player.

Vey's agent wanted guaranteed money for his client, when in reality, he should have pushed for a lower salary which would have likely made him a more desirable NHL option.

For $1m, teams can do way better on the waiver wire. This guy can't hack the top 6, and sucks in the bottom 6. At least with a guy like Friberg, he can run around and do the Hansen/Kenins thing from the bottom 6, and he's younger and slipped through waivers.

Luckily 90-100% of that 1 mil will be recoverable when Vey is gone.

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
This is great news- and with that said I hope they all clear as all 3 can make waves in the AHL.

I like that we kept Cracknell, he's the perfect 4th line centre (Vey didn't fit that role, he needs top 6 roles to succeed and he wasn't doing that in the NHL)

Bring on the Flames!

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
What I've learned from the Vey situation; respect Darryl Sutter's opinion about hockey players. he never liked Vey and for good reason.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Wow, this went from being one of the least exciting off seasons in a while to giving some real hope on at least an entertainment/interest level. We will have Baertschi, Virtanen, McCann and Hutton becoming NHL regulars for the first time this season presumably.

Yeah,it's gonna be great to see a strong infusion of our home grown,exciting young players hopefully breathe some new life on the team.It just might become contagious and rub off on some of the vets and we could be in for a surprising season.I had us pegged as a bottom 5 team before training camp but now there's some solid reason for optimism and we could surprise a lot of hockey people.

It is good that they made the tough decisions here instead of trying to go extreme on the asset management side just hoping somehow Corrado and Vey will work it out.

All teams make mistakes and the good teams aren't afraid to cut their losses and move on and I'm encouraged to see that JB and company are willing to do that.It looks really bad to have traded a second for Vey when you could have re-signed Santorelli,who was much better,or qualified Jordan Schroeder who put up the same PPG with Minny but they gambled and lost.
Clendenning was also a waste of a good prospect,hopefully Baertschi works out.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
gutsy move

Putting assets at risk for a better team......rather than protecting your depth

gutsy

hopefully the nay sayers are eating crow.......and are open for mgt to having young players SHOW GAME AFTER GAME.....that they belong and are open to pushing Aside vets for guys that bring it and are ready

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

WOOOOO! VEY DAY!

I'm a little upset about Corrado, but this feels great. I honestly have gained respect for Benning with Vey. I'm glad he accepted his mistake here, and he didn't give Vey unwarranted time to try to make the trade acceptable *cough* Luca *cough*.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Glad to see them make a couple of the right roster decisions, although they still don't have the most deserving player in every spot. Thought Biega should be kept around.

Honestly though, this is just an encouraging blip on an otherwise terrible run of management, unless it helps them realize how truly awful their pro-scouting has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad