Waived: Frank Corrado, Linden Vey, Alex Biega (UPDATE: Corrado claimed by TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
So I assume your 7 D will be:
Hamhuis
Edler
Tanev
Sbisa
Bartkowski
Weber
Hutton

So do you see Hutton as the #7 D?

I imagine they're keeping Hutton up with the intention of playing him rather than stashing him in the press box. May as well send him down if that's the case. Sbisa should be the one sitting but it'll probably be Weber.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
I don't think I can support the tank movement now that our best prospects are on the team. I would've liked to incubate them for one more year with Vey driving the tank. All Vey had to do was play mediocre hockey, and Benning probably wouldn't have waived him. He couldn't even do that.

This feels like we skipped ahead to the 2016/2017 season. I wasn't quite ready for all this. :laugh:

I feel the same way. But I think there's still enough room for the kids to improve and have the team perform poorly. After all, we still have Sbisa and Miller teaming up to provide all the goals the opposition needs. :sarcasm:

I know it was the preseason and the Sedins are the Sedins, but I'm not convinced they'll match their production of last year. To me, it seemed harder for them to even create chances, and often times I caught myself surprised at how their passes were off and how they fumbled the puck at times - this even during the 3rd period last game. I think they'll get around 60 points this year, and with our top line dwindling, I think a playoff miss is still probable.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Sucks for Biega as IMO he earned a spot, but if Hutton made the team then definitely Biega was the odd man out, given that Bart would certainly play.

I hope Corrado clears and I think he'll make it through.

Vey, I am glad he's gone. Just not quite NHL material. Probably put on too much mass and needs to be better conditioned. Might not be ready yet but could make it as a journeyman down the road.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Don't be surprised when you see Burrows with the twins, Vrbata with Horvat and Baert, McCann/Higgins on the wing with Sutter and Hansen, Virtanen on the 4th line with Prust/Cracknell and Dorsett, or McCann in the middle on 4th when Higgins comes back.

These are all groupings WD seems to be toying with rather than the obvious lines which were successful already.

I hope yours are correct, but I don't like Willie and haven't since game 1/2014.

I don't think Burrows and the twins is a poor move at all. It simply works.

Vrbata-twins can be more deadly as Vrbata is a good sniper, but at times it becomes too much to the perimeter.

Willie is stuck IMO because he likes burrows with twins (like all past coaches), and he doesn't know where to put Vrbata.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
That raise for Vey is pretty annoying. We're going to be wasting $100k of cap space on him if he clears and is sent to Utica. Not a great use of cap space when we're right against the limit.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I imagine they're keeping Hutton up with the intention of playing him rather than stashing him in the press box. May as well send him down if that's the case. Sbisa should be the one sitting but it'll probably be Weber.

Webber has been not so good this preseason....worse then Sbisa...

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Don't be surprised when you see Burrows with the twins, Vrbata with Horvat and Baert, McCann/Higgins on the wing with Sutter and Hansen, Virtanen on the 4th line with Prust/Cracknell and Dorsett, or McCann in the middle on 4th when Higgins comes back.

These are all groupings WD seems to be toying with rather than the obvious lines which were successful already.

I hope yours are correct, but I don't like Willie and haven't since game 1/2014.

Yeah, I should have specified that those are my ideal lines, probaably not what we're going to see in reality. But, you can't win 'em all as a Canuck fan. Or any, really.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Waste of a 2nd round pick, but waiving Vey was the right decision at this point.

Too bad Sbisa isn't riding along.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
First bit of good news on a transaction front in ages.

Neither Vey nor Corrado deserved to be here and are rightfully cut. Very pleased to see them finally admit a mistake on Vey. This earns back a tiny amount of respect for management.

Having said that :

- decision to cut Biega sucks. But I guess they were never going to waive Sbisa. Biega deserved to be here and had something to add to this team. And was the best partner option for Hutton.

- a bit surprised at the praise for Cracknell. He was 'ok' but is slow as hell and basically got his roster spot by default by virtue of how terrible Vey was. The team should be looking for another player on waivers.

- like Sbisa, Prust should have been packing as well. But I guess you can't have everything.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
A lot of people seem happy about Vey and Corrado being waived. On one level it makes sense. They got beat out by some of our younger players and Benning stuck to his word - he made the room if they deserved it.

Downside. If they get claimed, that's it. I wouldn't classify either as top-end prospects but they still have some upside, particularly Corrado. Could look like very bad asset management. And if JV/McCann/Hutton prove not to be NHL ready and need to be sent down well...it'll look a lot worse. There's a lot of investment in both those guys (years of development, 2nd round pick). But sunk costst and all that. We'll see. Bold move either way.

Obviously the one player who really should have been waived is Sbisa but we all know that will never happen...

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
- like Sbisa, Prust should have been packing as well. But I guess you can't have everything.

It's nice Benning finally decided to give up on his (huge) mistake, but this is still Benning. He wouldn't give up on Prust before he's even played a game for us.

And Sbisa is Sbisa, infallible in the eyes of our potato overlord.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Even if Vey clears and is immediately recalled once Higgins is put on the LTIR, I like the move. Clear message from management to Vey that the free ride is over. They are willing to lose him on waivers if he is getting outplayed by other options.

I think this was one where Benning overrode Willie D like keeping Horvat last year. No way Slick Willie gives up on Vey unless forced to.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A lot of people seem happy about Vey and Corrado being waived. On one level it makes sense. They got beat out by some of our younger players and Benning stuck to his word - he made the room if they deserved it.

Downside. If they get claimed, that's it. I wouldn't classify either as top-end prospects but they still have some upside, particularly Corrado. Could look like very bad asset management. And if JV/McCann/Hutton prove not to be NHL ready and need to be sent down well...it'll look a lot worse. We'll see. Bold move either way.

Obviously the one player who really should have been waived is Sbisa but we all know that will never happen...

Vey shouldn't have been qualified last summer. If someone takes his one-way deal, that's great.

Corrado you hope passes through. Should probably have been waived earlier than this given that this was an obvious outcome for quite some time now.

That said, again : there are ~250-300 players waived every year.

In 2014, 4 players were claimed.

In 2013, 5 players were claimed.

Almost all were experienced cheap veteran depth guys.

Odds are overwhelming that everyone clears. Biega is the only one that would really be a loss and the one I'm actually most worried about. Hopefully there weren't any scouts at the game in San Jose last week.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Wow, this went from being one of the least exciting off seasons in a while to giving some real hope on at least an entertainment/interest level. We will have Baertschi, Virtanen, McCann and Hutton becoming NHL regulars for the first time this season presumably.

It is good that they made the tough decisions here instead of trying to go extreme on the asset management side just hoping somehow Corrado and Vey will work it out.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Even if Vey clears and is immediately recalled once Higgins is put on the LTIR, I like the move. Clear message from management to Vey that the free ride is over. They are willing to lose him on waivers if he is getting outplayed by other options.

I think this was one where Benning overrode Willie D like keeping Horvat last year. No way Slick Willie gives up on Vey unless forced to.

Willie has been pumping the tires of McCann since the pre-season. Not much endorsement for Vey.

I think management just decided to reward those who played better.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Neither Vey nor Corrado deserved to be here and are rightfully cut. Very pleased to see them finally admit a mistake on Vey. This earns back a tiny amount of respect for management.

Having said that :

- decision to cut Biega sucks. But I guess they were never going to waive Sbisa. Biega deserved to be here and had something to add to this team. And was the best partner option for Hutton.

- a bit surprised at the praise for Cracknell. He was 'ok' but is slow as hell and basically got his roster spot by default by virtue of how terrible Vey was. The team should be looking for another player on waivers.

Paul Byron. Fantastic PKer and a pretty good possession-driver from the bottom-six. But he's small, so he probably won't fit the "profile" of a grinder.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
So, now we're moving on to criticizing the Biega move? Lol, can't win with some folks. Anyways great stuff.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
So, now we're moving on to criticizing the Biega move? Lol, can't win with some folks. Anyways great stuff.

As long as we have Sbisa on the point a certain element is going to use any excuse it can to complain about him. Biega was OK, but he will not be claimed, is not a proven NHLer and will be available for call ups at some point to prove he is.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I guess we'll have a fourth line of Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett ? That's a whole lot of meat and potatoes. I'ma call it the corned beef hash line.

BECAUSE A HASH IS WHAT THEY'LL MAKE OF ANY SCORING CHANCE

:laugh:

Is there a slower line in the NHL?

Wow they learned something. Benning I like you 1% more now.

^^

Having said that :

Yup. They made two of the four moves I would have made (waive Vey and Corrado), with the others being to waive Sbisa and Prust to keep Gaunce and Biega, but this is progress to say the least.

Still, stoked that the Linden Vey mistake is over.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I think we are seriously overlooking the fact that right now the Canucks could be putting in a waiver claim for Mason Raymond. MASON. RAYMOND. He could be the answer!

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Also, anyone else find it hilarious/sad that we just waived two of the guys in Benning and Linden's coveted "age gap" group? :laugh:

Glad that the deserving kids made the roster, but if this means we trade another 2nd round pick to fill the age gap....

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Benning presser at 11am to deliver the eulogy on Vey's NHL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad