Waived: Frank Corrado, Linden Vey, Alex Biega (UPDATE: Corrado claimed by TOR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stig

Rest In Peace Johnny Gaudreau
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Also, anyone else find it hilarious/sad that we just waived two of the guys in Benning and Linden's coveted "age gap" group? :laugh:

Glad that the deserving kids made the roster, but if this means we trade another 2nd round pick to fill the age gap....

Nope. As a matter of fact, I'm happy they admit their mistakes and move on a bit

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Don't be surprised when you see Burrows with the twins, Vrbata with Horvat and Baert, McCann/Higgins on the wing with Sutter and Hansen, Virtanen on the 4th line with Prust/Cracknell and Dorsett, or McCann in the middle on 4th when Higgins comes back. Then worst case scenario, McCann back to Jrs. when Higgins returns.

These are all groupings WD seems to be toying with rather than the obvious lines which were successful already.

I hope yours are correct, but I don't like Willie and haven't since game 1/2014.

Really? what did he do in game 1 that you didn't like?

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
First bit of good news on a transaction front in ages.

Neither Vey nor Corrado deserved to be here and are rightfully cut. Very pleased to see them finally admit a mistake on Vey. This earns back a tiny amount of respect for management.

Having said that :

- decision to cut Biega sucks. But I guess they were never going to waive Sbisa. Biega deserved to be here and had something to add to this team. And was the best partner option for Hutton.

- a bit surprised at the praise for Cracknell. He was 'ok' but is slow as hell and basically got his roster spot by default by virtue of how terrible Vey was. The team should be looking for another player on waivers.

- like Sbisa, Prust should have been packing as well. But I guess you can't have everything.

Pretty much agreed on all fronts. Its still astounding how much money is being wasted on replacement level (or worse) players like Sbisa and Prust, but as much as I'd loved to see them waived/sent packing its just not going to happen. Cracknell is a decent 13th forward, but if there's a cheaper, better veteran option available on waivers I wouldn't hesitate putting a claim in and replacing him.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I like it. I think they want these players to clear and do well in the AHL. Biega, in particular is somebody you want to hang on to and get a lot of minutes, so he can step into a top four role on the big club in the event of injury.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Vey shouldn't have been qualified last summer. If someone takes his one-way deal, that's great.

Corrado you hope passes through. Should probably have been waived earlier than this given that this was an obvious outcome for quite some time now.

That said, again : there are ~250-300 players waived every year.

In 2014, 4 players were claimed.

In 2013, 5 players were claimed.

Almost all were experienced cheap veteran depth guys.

Odds are overwhelming that everyone clears. Biega is the only one that would really be a loss and the one I'm actually most worried about. Hopefully there weren't any scouts at the game in San Jose last week.

Qualifying Vey was the right decision. He's an asset with some upside. It was a decent gamble at the time of the trade as well. After year one it didn't pan out as we hoped, but I'm not too mad at that move.

Exposing Corrado is a little risky. Biega played well also but I don't see him as an NHLer. Like you said, all will probably clear. I just think it's unnecessary risk to asset management. Particularly when the players on the roster who actually bring the least to the team relative to dollars spent (Sbisa, Prust) are not the ones being waived.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Does this mean the kids will get their shot but more than likely two will get sent down after the 9 games?

I doubt they'll sit Prust out

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Good on them for waving Corrado and Vey. Didn't think they had it in them. Disappointed that Biega is getting sent down.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Now that I think about it...

Hutton, if made the team, would be paired with Sbisa would he not?

Oilers put Nikitin on waivers, is there a chance Jim will claim him?

Ok things suddenly became terrifying...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Qualifying Vey was the right decision. He's an asset with some upside. It was a decent gamble at the time of the trade as well. After year one it didn't pan out as we hoped, but I'm not too mad at that move.

Exposing Corrado is a little risky. Biega played well also but I don't see him as an NHLer. Like you said, all will probably clear. I just think it's unnecessary risk to asset management. Particularly when the players on the roster who actually bring the least to the team relative to dollars spent (Sbisa, Prust) are not the ones being waived.
Mr Super Scout didn't just qualify him though - he gave him a raise.;)

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Pretty much agreed on all fronts. Its still astounding how much money is being wasted on replacement level (or worse) players like Sbisa and Prust, but as much as I'd loved to see them waived/sent packing its just not going to happen. Cracknell is a decent 13th forward, but if there's a cheaper, better veteran option available on waivers I wouldn't hesitate putting a claim in and replacing him.

Cracknell makes league minimum 575,000. Doesn't get any cheaper.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
[/B]

Really? what did he do in game 1 that you didn't like?

Nothing. Just didn't think he was the best choice out there. Then as the season progressed, he showed me his lack of ability to use his assets to the best of their abilities.

Put it this way, I don't like his style and hate how he plays his favs no matter how bad they play.

arsmaster*

Disagree.

Disagree with the trade being a good gamble as well.

This player had 4 goals and 7 assists over his last 50 NHL games last year.

The hot streak he had at the beginning of the season was just the coach and management trying to justify the trade. He's an AHLer.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
JB showing kahunas. Good message to send to future young camp goers about not taking roster spots for granted.

Don't think I would have risked it with Corrado, so his decline/revised potential in their eyes must really be something else. Pity, wanted to see that guy make it. Badly need one young D to take the next step and make Hamhuis expendable at the deadline. All eyes on Hutton, I guess.

Vey... it is what it is. Got bested by others. Even if McCann doesn't stick past nine, we got Cracknell and Gaunce who'll probably find it easier to play centre than Jarred does wing if called upon.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Frank Corrado ‏@frankcorrado22 17m17 minutes ago
Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.

Good for him. It really seems to me as though he is a victim of being a slow starter. Only veterans get to start their years that way.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Nope. As a matter of fact, I'm happy they admit their mistakes and move on a bit

I agree.

Frank Corrado ‏@frankcorrado22 17m17 minutes ago
Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.

I really hope that he can figure it out and get back to what made him so promising a couple years ago. I know that he has the talent. Really pulling for Frankie.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Willie has been pumping the tires of McCann since the pre-season. Not much endorsement for Vey.

I think management just decided to reward those who played better.

Hopefully this is a step towards a new thinking for this management. Too bad Sbisa is safe.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Was completely obvious last year he wasn't an NHL player. His performance over the last 50 games might have been the worst I've ever seen from a non-goon regular forward. Was NHL-caliber at literally nothing and would have been in the AHL by January if his 'dad' wasn't coaching.

That he got a 30% raise was absurd. Team should have been trying to pawn him off on a Phoenix/Carolina to recoup a late-round pick.

Exposing Corrado might be slightly risky, but it's a risk you absolutely have to take.

This is a middling AHL defender right now who belongs nowhere near the NHL. It's highly unlikely he gets claimed and if he does, it's no big loss.

As a player, he's at exactly the same point/age as Nicklas Jensen. If Jensen had had to clear waivers this year, do you keep him up at the expense of guys who hopelessly outplayed him? Of course not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad