World Cup: Four Nations Tournament-Team Canada

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
The more I think about it, I do think Hyman is quite expendable if Laf can take the role of a puck retrieval guy next season. The Top 6 might look like this:

Laf-McDavid-Point
Marchand-Crosby-MacKinnon OR Crosby-MacKinnon-Bedard

Laf has developed into a great offensive forechecker and puck battler. Just watching him these playoffs, he's so freakishly strong and hard to knock off the puck. I hope he has his long overdue all-star season and the Rangers finally put him on the damn 1st PP unit.

Reactions: jj cale

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
The more I think about it, I do think Hyman is quite expendable if Laf can take the role of a puck retrieval guy next season. The Top 6 might look like this:

Laf-McDavid-Point
Marchand-Crosby-MacKinnon OR Crosby-MacKinnon-Bedard

Laf has developed into a great offensive forechecker and puck battler. Just watching him these playoffs, he's so freakishly strong and hard to knock off the puck. I hope he has his long overdue all-star season and the Rangers finally put him on the damn 1st PP unit.

Why not both Hyman AND Lafreniere? Both players can play both wing position, and we're relatively thin on the left side. Hyman already plays a really good power game, and Lafreniere is developing quickly into the sort of power winger that can score off the rush, or off the cycle. I think both players belong on Team Canada, so long as Lafreniere maintains his current trajectory.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Why not both Hyman AND Lafreniere? Both players can play both wing position, and we're relatively thin on the left side. Hyman already plays a really good power game, and Lafreniere is developing quickly into the sort of power winger that can score off the rush, or off the cycle. I think both players belong on Team Canada, so long as Lafreniere maintains his current trajectory.
I would be fine with both of them making the team, but Hyman does become an expendable piece if Laf or even Byfield can fill that role. There’s no doubt that Hyman can fill a checking role, help out on the PK and be McDavid’s right hand, but if you can fill that role with an equivalent offensive option that is more skilled and younger, it opens up another roster spot for your team + adding development for future tournaments. I still do think that Hyman makes the team and will likely play 1st line time. With that being said, I do think there are better options than him

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
I would be fine with both of them making the team, but Hyman does become an expendable piece if Laf or even Byfield can fill that role. There’s no doubt that Hyman can fill a checking role, help out on the PK and be McDavid’s right hand, but if you can fill that role with an equivalent offensive option that is more skilled and younger, it opens up another roster spot for your team + adding development for future tournaments. I still do think that Hyman makes the team and will likely play 1st line time. With that being said, I do think there are better options than him
Hyman has amazing chemistry with McDavid and he will likely play netfront on PP1. Those guys won't replace Hyman by next year. They'll need to have absolutely outstanding years to even be considered for top line by 2026.

Reactions: therealdeal

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
omg why would you bring kyle into this i honestly think he is the dumbest guy in the nhl in a major management position im sorry . and its not just cause he was in toronto just look at some of his decisions jesus christ.

Reactions: bert

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Not Kyle Dubas😭
Aha. Seems excessive to have that many general managers there listed as assistants. BriseBois (a good add) is listed as an assistant GM while Dubas is listed as director of player personnel. It could be worse, at least the players don't need to be signed to contracts with Dubas leading the way. Getzlaf is also involved as player relations advisor. Let's also not forget that Canada has won the Olympic tournament, with a well picked team, even with Lowe and Chiarelli as assistant GMs - Dubas isn't going to just show up and sink the team.

They are mostly good GMs at least. It also isn't like almost all of history where 95% of the GMs in the NHL were Canadian, over a third are not Canadian now.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
To be quite honest, I don't quite understand the love that Barzal gets when the media and people on here put together these rosters. He's a superb skater, I'll give him that, but has a heavy playmaking bias and as predominantly a winger now with the Islanders I don't think his skillset really fits the wing position. He should be playing centre, with the puck on his stick, distributing it, leading the transition and rush with his speed. His primary skills are really being limited on the wing, imho.

In a national team context, I don't think he scores enough goals or is good enough along the boards to play the wing position (most importantly, certainly not above several better options including Marner, who's a better playmaker and better defensively, though not as fast), and he should be behind several centres as well for a depth role given his weakness on the faceoff dot and in the d-zone. He's pretty far down the centre depth chart in my roster mock-ups, behind Thomas, Suzuki, Johnston (likely to get moved to the wing), Horvat, and maybe even O'Reilly. I think those players all offer a more well-rounded 200-foot game than Barzal. On the right side, I have him behind Point, Reinhart, Johnston, Marner, Lafreniere, Konecny, Stamkos, Bedard, and probably Stone as well if he's healthy.
I could see him being very analogous to Rick Nash. All of the tools needed but never quite as good as the sum of his parts in the NHL, largely due to being on an offensively inept team with no good linemates.

In a Team Canada setting with elite linemates, Nash was able to adapt his physical tools to playing a very valuable role. That Nash - Toews - Richards line was Canada's best.

Barzal is on an island (literally and figuratively) in NY with no real good offensive teammates to work off of but his skills and talent are undeniable. I have him easily on my team and curious to see what role he ends up taking on and how he meshes with top flight players for once.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I could see him being very analogous to Rick Nash. All of the tools needed but never quite as good as the sum of his parts in the NHL, largely due to being on an offensively inept team with no good linemates.

In a Team Canada setting with elite linemates, Nash was able to adapt his physical tools to playing a very valuable role. That Nash - Toews - Richards line was Canada's best.

Barzal is on an island (literally and figuratively) in NY with no real good offensive teammates to work off of but his skills and talent are undeniable. I have him easily on my team and curious to see what role he ends up taking on and how he meshes with top flight players for once.
I like Barzal, would love to see him with world class players.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

Your comments re: Barzal are all fair of course (though I disagree on the analogy to Nash...more on that later) and like I said I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he were to make the team, but I just don't like how he fits on the team. Its an awkward fit imho. His strongest skills are his speed (plays well at any position/role), puck carrying, and puck distribution. The latter two skills play better at centre, and Canada has typically built from the centre out at the best-on-best level, especially during the Yzerman/Armstrong/Babcock era.

Assuming Barzal would be playing the wing position, like he does on Long Island (and due to him not exactly being a Selke candidate when it comes to defensive play), he'd be a puck carrying/distributing winger lined up next to either McDavid, MacKinnon, or Crosby (or perhaps Point). Those skills are redundant given the elite talent at centre, particularly with Marner slotted-in on the right side presumably ahead of Barzal that more or less offers the same playmaking skills as Barzal (with less speed, but much better defensive play). Those three/four centres need complementary skills on their wings...wingers that can chase down loose pucks, win puck battles in the corner or along the boards, finish scoring opportunities, create space, provide defensive cover when needed, and maybe provide some sandpaper and make life difficult for their opponents. Aside from offering up his blazing speed, Barzal isn't a great goal scorer and doesn't seem like the type of player that can fill in gaps on any of those top lines. At centre, he wouldn't be strong enough defensively or on the faceoff dot to really carry a line, imo.

In my mind, Barzal's best opportunity at making the team would be to out-compete Marner for a playmaking wing position, or out-compete someone in Thomas/Suzuki/Horvat group (likely Thomas as the frontrunner) for a #4C role. Maybe there is a role for him as a 13/14th forward that can come off the bench if someone gets hurt or we need an injection of speed/energy. Like I said, I wouldn't be disappointed or really even all that surprised if he were to make the eventual team, I just wouldn't have him on my roster.

With respect to Nash, he was a strong skater, and a big bodied natural goal-scoring winger that has previously played in the Olympics and a handful of World Championships. He fit Yzerman/Babcock's template perfectly. Size, speed and goal-scoring ability on the wings. The better analogy for Barzal, imho, is Duchene, who offers a similar skillset and C/W versatility as does Barzal; Duchene was a better goal scorer, his speed played really well on international ice, and he was excellent on faceoffs. The same speed requirement isn't really there on the smaller ice surface.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm more worried about who is not going to be there then who is, it's Team Canada so you know there will be lot's of talent but one key injury such as Makar going down....that's pretty much a disaster. There is usually always some guy that goes down or 2.

Of course, everyone else has to worry about that too, I figure on defense at least Sweden and the U.S are in a better position to cover that however.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

To me, Hyman demonstrated that he can operate at an elite level with our without McDavid, in the playoffs. He consistently made plays not involving McDavid that were typical of the plays you'd see power forwards make, like taking the puck to the net with strength and determination, operating behind the net, getting up in the goaltender's face, and winning board/corner battles. I was impressed with his play during the playoffs. He'd be on my team in some capacity, and in my mind his chemistry with McDavid is more icing on the cake than anything. Aside from the superstars already named to the team, including Point, Hyman is likely our best goal scorer right now (Laf could indeed pass him, Bedard will certainly pass him soon, Reinhart is a question mark).

I agree with you on opening up spots for the next generation (Johnston, Laf, Byfield being at the top of the list for me). If I was constructing a roster for the 2025 tournament, I'd be inclined to take all three (Byfield would be borderline). I just wouldn't do it at Hyman's expense. Not unless his performance falls off dramatically next season. If he's operating at a 40 goal pace, he has to be on the team imo. Byfield has all the tools needed to be a superstar, but his goal scoring isn't as refined yet. Hyman is a great goal scorer from multiple areas of the ice, and we need someone to score goals.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
To me, Hyman demonstrated that he can operate at an elite level with our without McDavid, in the playoffs. He consistently made plays not involving McDavid that were typical of the plays you'd see power forwards make, like taking the puck to the net with strength and determination, operating behind the net, getting up in the goaltender's face, and winning board/corner battles. I was impressed with his play during the playoffs. He'd be on my team in some capacity, and in my mind his chemistry with McDavid is more icing on the cake than anything. Aside from the superstars already named to the team, including Point, Hyman is likely our best goal scorer right now (Laf could indeed pass him, Bedard will certainly pass him soon, Reinhart is a question mark).

I agree with you on opening up spots for the next generation (Johnston, Laf, Byfield being at the top of the list for me). If I was constructing a roster for the 2025 tournament, I'd be inclined to take all three (Byfield would be borderline). I just wouldn't do it at Hyman's expense. Not unless his performance falls off dramatically next season. If he's operating at a 40 goal pace, he has to be on the team imo. Byfield has all the tools needed to be a superstar, but his goal scoring isn't as refined yet. Hyman is a great goal scorer from multiple areas of the ice, and we need someone to score goals.
Are you sold on Reinhart?

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Hyman has amazing chemistry with McDavid and he will likely play netfront on PP1. Those guys won't replace Hyman by next year. They'll need to have absolutely outstanding years to even be considered for top line by 2026.
Hyman will likely make it. You can use him on PP1, but just don’t see how you can’t roll out a PP of Crosby-McDavid-MacKinnon if you’re Canada with Crosby in his bumper position. He would be a good front of net presence for PP2 as well.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Your comments re: Barzal are all fair of course (though I disagree on the analogy to Nash...more on that later) and like I said I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if he were to make the team, but I just don't like how he fits on the team. Its an awkward fit imho. His strongest skills are his speed (plays well at any position/role), puck carrying, and puck distribution. The latter two skills play better at centre, and Canada has typically built from the centre out at the best-on-best level, especially during the Yzerman/Armstrong/Babcock era.

Assuming Barzal would be playing the wing position, like he does on Long Island (and due to him not exactly being a Selke candidate when it comes to defensive play), he'd be a puck carrying/distributing winger lined up next to either McDavid, MacKinnon, or Crosby (or perhaps Point). Those skills are redundant given the elite talent at centre, particularly with Marner slotted-in on the right side presumably ahead of Barzal that more or less offers the same playmaking skills as Barzal (with less speed, but much better defensive play). Those three/four centres need complementary skills on their wings...wingers that can chase down loose pucks, win puck battles in the corner or along the boards, finish scoring opportunities, create space, provide defensive cover when needed, and maybe provide some sandpaper and make life difficult for their opponents. Aside from offering up his blazing speed, Barzal isn't a great goal scorer and doesn't seem like the type of player that can fill in gaps on any of those top lines. At centre, he wouldn't be strong enough defensively or on the faceoff dot to really carry a line, imo.

In my mind, Barzal's best opportunity at making the team would be to out-compete Marner for a playmaking wing position, or out-compete someone in Thomas/Suzuki/Horvat group (likely Thomas as the frontrunner) for a #4C role. Maybe there is a role for him as a 13/14th forward that can come off the bench if someone gets hurt or we need an injection of speed/energy. Like I said, I wouldn't be disappointed or really even all that surprised if he were to make the eventual team, I just wouldn't have him on my roster.

With respect to Nash, he was a strong skater, and a big bodied natural goal-scoring winger that has previously played in the Olympics and a handful of World Championships. He fit Yzerman/Babcock's template perfectly. Size, speed and goal-scoring ability on the wings. The better analogy for Barzal, imho, is Duchene, who offers a similar skillset and C/W versatility as does Barzal; Duchene was a better goal scorer, his speed played really well on international ice, and he was excellent on faceoffs. The same speed requirement isn't really there on the smaller ice surface.
I like Barzal but I agree that he is not analogous to Nash. Nash was an ideal utility player for Canada and complemented the Canadian centres well. Great size, good speed, goal scorer, defensively aware when he wants to be, experience internationally, worked well for Canada. Carter and Marleau are other examples who surprised people but who made perfect sense for their roles.

I think it's more appropriate to consider Barzal as an insurance policy. He could fill in as 4C if needed and he can play wing and inject some elite skating if necessary. If Nash was available he'd easily make it over Barzal.

I like Hyman but that's a little generous for him. The guy plays with McDavid, there's basically no way he is actually the second best (or best) Canadian goal scorer. Most times what people view as NHL chemistry doesn't really work when transported to international competition at the highest level, so I'm skeptical of any player (a Kunitz) who likely couldn't make it on his own. There are some exceptions like Getzlaf and Perry, but McDavid and Hyman don't have that sort of visible chemistry and haven't been together as consistently.

That makes the question whether Hyman could make the team on his own. I like that his game is versatile and it benefits him that he will still be playing on NHL sized ice. I don't like that he has no international experience, or that his career high by age 30basically pre-McDavid, was 54 points. It's a tricky question to me. He's one of the hardest working players in the NHL and the things he does should work in international play... I guess that's the benefit of this four nations tournament. See how Hyman looks and if he's no good, don't bother considering him for the Olympics. Push comes to shove and I'd much rather go with a young guy playing well and possessing elite potential (Lafreniere, Byfield etc.) over him though.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I like Barzal but I agree that he is not analogous to Nash. Nash was an ideal utility player for Canada and complemented the Canadian centres well. Great size, good speed, goal scorer, defensively aware when he wants to be, experience internationally, worked well for Canada. Carter and Marleau are other examples who surprised people but who made perfect sense for their roles.

I think it's more appropriate to consider Barzal as an insurance policy. He could fill in as 4C if needed and he can play wing and inject some elite skating if necessary. If Nash was available he'd easily make it over Barzal.

That's part of the problem when mocking up the roster for the 4 Nations Cup...ideal wingers like Nash, Carter and Marleau (I'll add Benn and Perry to the list) aren't available to Canada during this cycle. Players like Lafreniere and Byfield can (and probably should) get there, but they may be 2-3 years away from reaching that level so perhaps a little late for the upcoming best-on-bests. I'd still take Lafreniere and Johnston though, while Byfield is on the bubble for me insofar as the 4 Nations Cup is concerned. I'm confident they'll all be fully ready for the 2026 Olympics.

I like Hyman but that's a little generous for him. The guy plays with McDavid, there's basically no way he is actually the second best (or best) Canadian goal scorer. Most times what people view as NHL chemistry doesn't really work when transported to international competition at the highest level, so I'm skeptical of any player (a Kunitz) who likely couldn't make it on his own. There are some exceptions like Getzlaf and Perry, but McDavid and Hyman don't have that sort of visible chemistry and haven't been together as consistently.

That makes the question whether Hyman could make the team on his own. I like that his game is versatile and it benefits him that he will still be playing on NHL sized ice. I don't like that he has no international experience, or that his career high by age 30basically pre-McDavid, was 54 points. It's a tricky question to me. He's one of the hardest working players in the NHL and the things he does should work in international play... I guess that's the benefit of this four nations tournament. See how Hyman looks and if he's no good, don't bother considering him for the Olympics. Push comes to shove and I'd much rather go with a young guy playing well and possessing elite potential (Lafreniere, Byfield etc.) over him though.

In fairness, I did say Hyman is likely the best Canadian goal scorer aside from the superstars already named to the team, including Point. I stand by that statement. Who really else is there? Reinhart would be in the conversation, certainly. Maybe Verhaeghe, though I have Hyman above him for now. Bedard? Not yet imo. Its slim pickings, honestly. Stamkos might merit discussion, but that's predicated on past performance.

I agree with you on Kunitz though. That didn't work. I see Hyman as a better overall player than Kunitz. The question is, can he make a difference at the best-on-best level? Personally, I think he can - through complementing McDavid and whichever other winger lines up with them, scoring garbage goals in front of the net, PKing if necessary, or playing sparingly on the 4th line (or not at all) if other players perform better. I like that he seems to have no ego, which makes him a good candidate to put the team first and making the most of whatever opportunity he's given. I don't know, I thought he was really good in the playoffs and that includes plays he made without McDavid's involvement.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That's part of the problem when mocking up the roster for the 4 Nations Cup...ideal wingers like Nash, Carter and Marleau (I'll add Benn and Perry to the list) aren't available to Canada during this cycle. Players like Lafreniere and Byfield can (and probably should) get there, but they may be 2-3 years away from reaching that level so perhaps a little late for the upcoming best-on-bests. I'd still take Lafreniere and Johnston though, while Byfield is on the bubble for me insofar as the 4 Nations Cup is concerned. I'm confident they'll all be fully ready for the 2026 Olympics.

In fairness, I did say Hyman is likely the best Canadian goal scorer aside from the superstars already named to the team, including Point. I stand by that statement. Who really else is there? Reinhart would be in the conversation, certainly. Maybe Verhaeghe, though I have Hyman above him for now. Bedard? Not yet imo. Its slim pickings, honestly. Stamkos might merit discussion, but that's predicated on past performance.

I agree with you on Kunitz though. That didn't work. I see Hyman as a better overall player than Kunitz. The question is, can he make a difference at the best-on-best level? Personally, I think he can - through complementing McDavid and whichever other winger lines up with them, scoring garbage goals in front of the net, PKing if necessary, or playing sparingly on the 4th line (or not at all) if other players perform better. I like that he seems to have no ego, which makes him a good candidate to put the team first and making the most of whatever opportunity he's given. I don't know, I thought he was really good in the playoffs and that includes plays he made without McDavid's involvement.
I do think that Hyman is better than Kunitz was, but the arguments for him are very reminiscent of the Kunitz arguments. The main argument for him, to me, is that you know he's going to bring maximum effort, he can play all sorts of roles, and he does his damage without the puck. I don't buy that he's a better goal scorer than various other players who can score around 30+ while being a focus on their line or something like that, but it's good for him that he can score without having much of the puck because if he plays for Canada he won't have the puck very much.

I'd still consider him but Canada always has stars who will accept less glamourous roles on the big stage. The potential roster isn't as star studded as it almost always is so a Hyman becomes more viable, but I'd be looking for better options. If none emerge then you throw him out there and see how he does, at this tournament anyway.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Not Kyle Dubas😭
This is absolutely insane. What is going on? Honestly? Did Jim Benning and Pierre Dorion turn down the job? Was the goal to hire the worst active Canadian GM in the NHL. His track record is horrid. He never played hockey how would he know how to build a winning team when he has never won a thing in his life.

Reactions: DJB

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
omg why would you bring kyle into this i honestly think he is the dumbest guy in the nhl in a major management position im sorry . and its not just cause he was in toronto just look at some of his decisions jesus christ.
No one is even talking about this. Its insane.

'Hey look we have Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman two Hall of fame winners that have built cup champions' . 'Na let's go with the nerd who has never played hockey or won anything at any hockey level' Kyle Dubas. He's the man for the job. 1 playoff win his his entire NHL hockey career. Wtf is going on.

Reactions: DJB

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
No one is even talking about this. Its insane.

'Hey look we have Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman two Hall of fame winners that have built cup champions' . 'Na let's go with the nerd who has never played hockey or won anything at any hockey level' Kyle Dubas. He's the man for the job. 1 playoff win his his entire NHL hockey career. Wtf is going on.

Yzerman already ran the show for multiple Olympics, he obviously was not coming to be an assistant and likely had no interest in being involved at this point.

And I don’t know why you’re so adamant about saying “at any hockey level” when he did win in the AHL, just keep it simple. Brisebois is also a “nerd who has never played hockey” fwiw. By title Dubas is clearly 4th in the hierarchy and in a tournament without the cap he’s unlikely to do much damage.

More interesting is how this could impact the bubble selections. I don’t imagine Stamkos loves to see Brisebois added for example.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Team Canada forwards

Crosby - McDavid - Hyman
Marchand - MacKinnon - Bedard
Stamkos - Point - Marner
Stone - Barzal - Reinhart
Laf/Thomas/Suzuki

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yzerman already ran the show for multiple Olympics, he obviously was not coming to be an assistant and likely had no interest in being involved at this point.

And I don’t know why you’re so adamant about saying “at any hockey level” when he did win in the AHL, just keep it simple. Brisebois is also a “nerd who has never played hockey” fwiw. By title Dubas is clearly 4th in the hierarchy and in a tournament without the cap he’s unlikely to do much damage.

More interesting is how this could impact the bubble selections. I don’t imagine Stamkos loves to see Brisebois added for example.
Imagine defending the Dubas hire. Guys a born loser.

The hockey teams he builds are terrible. He even gets center pieces like Matthews and Crosby. 1 playoff victory since he entered the league in 2014. It's been a decade. He has no idea how to build a winner. He has earned nothing and been given everything. Brisebois has 2 cups and 4 finals. Thinking they are the same is hilarious.

Oh a Calder cup win Bravo lol.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Oh a Calder cup win Bravo lol.

You’re the one who specifically said hadn’t won at any level, it was weirdly phrased and obviously inaccurate. I’m not really defending Dubas, I emphasized him being low in the hierarchy and unable to do much damage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad