World Cup: Four Nations Tournament-Team Canada

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Yeah, Marner is a 100% a lock. I find he gets a lot of unwarranted hate on these boards. He's one of the best playmakers in the league and is a credible two-way player. Here's my current Team Canada (I think Armstrong is going to apply a heavy hand here):

Goaltenders (x3):

Jordan Binnington
Stuart Skinner
Adin Hill

Defensemen (x8):

Cale Makar/Devon Toews
Evan Bouchard/Drew Doughty
Noah Dobson/Morgan Reilly
Darnell Nurse/Colton Parayko

Forwards (x14):

Zach Hyman/Connor McDavid/Sam Reinhart
Nick Suzuki/Nathan MacKinnon/Mitch Marner
Brad Marchand/Sidney Crosby/Brandon Hagel
Mark Stone/Brayden Point/Steven Stamkos
Robert Thomas/Connor Bedard

Any team with McDavid and MacKinnon up the middle and Makar on defense is a favorite, but I think Canada is probably a little more vulnerable than usual. I think any of the four countries participating can take this tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seanaconda

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Yeah, Marner is a 100% a lock. I find he gets a lot of unwarranted hate on these boards. He's one of the best playmakers in the league and is a credible two-way player. Here's my current Team Canada (I think Armstrong is going to apply a heavy hand here):

Goaltenders (x3):

Jordan Binnington
Stuart Skinner
Carter Hart

Defensemen (x8):

Cale Makar/Devon Toews

Forwards (x14):

Brayden Point/Mark Stone/Steven Stamkos

Any team with McDavid and MacKinnon up the middle and Makar on defense is a favorite, but I think Canada is probably a little more vulnerable than usual. I think any of the four countries participating can take this tournament.

Of course as an American you would want Nurse and Parayko on Canada's defense.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
With Cooper coaching the team Marner is making it. Cooper is always praising Marner on radio, in podcasts that he does. I think Cooper see's similarities between Kucherov and Marner, so he probably can handle coaching a player like Marner and getting the best out of him. I think as long as cooper is coaching in '25 and coaching Team Canada at the '26 Olympics, Marner will be on his team.

To me personally Marner is a lock. He's the best right handed natural RW available to team Canada. Has a better track record of producing compared to Reinhart for example.

Selecting Marchand as part of the first 6, was more of a play to Crosby and MacKinnon than anything.
That's interesting about Cooper, can't really say that I follow much Cooper media. He was the coach of Canada at the 2017 iihf world championship though, and Marner was quite good there on a line with Point and Konecny. Canada has cut its best natural rw or lw various times, that doesn't mean much for Marner. Someone like Reihart is a better complement and fills a bigger need for Canada than Marner likely would. I would also suggest that Canada only had five real locks but since the tournament insisted on adding a sixth they went with Marchand as a respected veteran. I don't think it's a play to Crosby or MacKinnon as it isn't like they would refuse selection if Marchand wasn't there.

If Marner is there I certainly hope he is excellent. I cannot imagine that he is a lock at the moment (plenty of players have been deemed locks for Canada right before getting cut) though and I somewhat struggle to see a player of his style fitting well with how Canada typically plays. I'm sort of open to running him with MacKinnon for a minute if he's there.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Parayko was there. Armstrong is his GM and likes that kind of player anyway, plus Parayko paid his dues at the iihf world championship this year. Also played at that tournament under Cooper in 2017. Now Parayko wasn't especially good at the tournament this past year but it's better to show up than not I'd think.

I don't really want him there but they will want some size with a willingness to use it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Of course as an American you would want Nurse and Parayko on Canada's defense.
It's not about want. I personally wouldn't have either of them. I'm just trying to think like the Team Canada brass. I'm expecting some sketchy picks on my own side.

😭

I think if they’re going to go for heavier players, players like Harley or Pelech are well, well in front of Parayko and especially Darnell Nurse.
You may be right. I would have Pelech on the team, but I think they like Parayko and Nurse. Just my opinion.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
It's not about want. I personally wouldn't have either of them. I'm just trying to think like the Team Canada brass. I'm expecting some sketchy picks on my own side.

You may be right. I would have Pelech on the team, but I think they like Parayko and Nurse. Just my opinion.

I was kidding around, but man...I'd have to go several teams down in terms of depth charts to arrive at Nurse or Parayko on my team. Like, I'm talking the Canadian "C" or "D" team. Would much prefer Pietrangelo as a d-man with some size to him, even if he's on the down-slope of his career.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Just wanted to point out that a lot can change between now and the time at which these teams will be picked; looking back at my notes, I had put a 2025 team together around this time last year (I may have posted it on one of these threads) with Stephenson (lol), Marchessault (ok), Cirelli (lol) and Dubois (lmao) in the forward group. A year later, I don't think any of these guys with the possible exception of Marchessault gets a sniff at the 4 Nations Cup team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I was kidding around, but man...I'd have to go several teams down in terms of depth charts to arrive at Nurse or Parayko on my team. Like, I'm talking the Canadian "C" or "D" team. Would much prefer Pietrangelo as a d-man with some size to him, even if he's on the down-slope of his career.
I agree, but I just have this nagging feeling the Team Canada brass favors guys like Nurse and Parayko. Ultimately, I don't think it will matter much when it comes to Team Canada's fortunes. On a team like this these kinds of guys can work.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I agree, but I just have this nagging feeling the Team Canada brass favors guys like Nurse and Parayko. Ultimately, I don't think it will matter much when it comes to Team Canada's fortunes. On a team like this these kinds of guys can work.

You're probably right on Parayko (unfortunately), but I don't know how anyone who watched the recently-concluded playoffs can think that Darnell Nurse is anywhere in the vicinity of making a best-on-best team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
You're probably right on Parayko (unfortunately), but I don't know how anyone who watched the recently-concluded playoffs can think that Darnell Nurse is anywhere in the vicinity of making a best-on-best team.
I think NHL GMs are very superficial and look at guys that are physical specimens with misplaced awe and reverence.

darthwispy

Jun 8, 2017

Goaltenders (x3):

Jordan Binnington
Stuart Skinner
Carter Hart

Defensemen (x8):

Cale Makar/Devon Toews

Forwards (x14):

Ya there is literally 0 chance that Carter Hart is on this team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Fine. Put Adin Hill. It doesn't really matter. It's not a position of strength for Canada at the moment.
Hart is facing a criminal charge at the moment. Regardless of the likelihood of conviction he's less likely than Jacques Plante's corpse to be on the team.

Thinking about it more, I think that Marchand's inclusion in the first six is also helped by Sweeney being on the management team. I won't be shocked to hear buzz around Jamie Benn early next year either with Nill on the management team and the dearth of physical options, but maybe that will be mitigated if Johnston continues his rise next year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hart is facing a criminal charge at the moment. Regardless of the likelihood of conviction he's less likely than Jacques Plante's corpse to be on the team.

Thinking about it more, I think that Marchand's inclusion in the first six is also helped by Sweeney being on the management team. I won't be shocked to hear buzz around Jamie Benn early next year either with Nill on the management team and the dearth of physical options, but maybe that will be mitigated if Johnston continues his rise next year.
I forgot about that. My bad.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

Goaltenders (x3):

Jordan Binnington
Stuart Skinner
Adin Hill

Defensemen (x8):

Cale Makar/Devon Toews

Forwards (x14):

This D-cord hurts to look at. Nurse and Parayko over Shea Theodore? Parayko makes more sense to me, but Canada just has so many better defencemen than him.

List of Defencemen that will be Considered before Parayko:
Theodore
Pietrangelo
Harley
Dunn
Hamilton
Ekblad
Weegar
Pelech
Chabot
Chychrun
Power

No country comes close to the depth of defencemen that Canada has

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This D-cord hurts to look at. Nurse and Parayko over Shea Theodore? Parayko makes more sense to me, but Canada just has so many better defencemen than him.

List of Defencemen that will be Considered before Parayko:
Theodore
Pietrangelo
Harley
Dunn
Hamilton
Ekblad
Weegar
Pelech
Chabot
Chychrun
Power

No country comes close to the depth of defencemen that Canada has
With Armstrong as GM I think you are wrong. Canada has solid depth on d to be sure though.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
A thing people need to keep in mind is that this is essentially a glorified all-star game tournament. The purpose is to maximize viewership and make as much money as possible. Therefore high profile players such as Bedard are going to make the roster 100%.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

Forwards (13)​

Mathew Barzal, New York Islanders
Connor Bedard, Chicago Blackhawks
Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins*
Zach Hyman, Edmonton Oilers
Alexis Lafrenière, New York Rangers
Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche*
Brad Marchand, Boston Bruins*
Mitch Marner, Toronto Maple Leafs
Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers*
Brayden Point, Tampa Bay Lightning*
Sam Reinhart, Florida Panthers
Steven Stamkos, Nashville Predators
Robert Thomas, St. Louis Blues

Defensemen (7)​

Evan Bouchard, Edmonton Oilers
Noah Dobson, New York Islanders
Drew Doughty, Los Angeles Kings
Cale Makar, Colorado Avalanche*
Josh Morrissey, Winnipeg Jets
Owen Power, Buffalo Sabres
Devon Toews, Colorado Avalanche

Goalies (3)​

Jordan Binnington, St. Louis Blues
Adin Hill, Vegas Golden Knights
Stuart Skinner, Edmonton Oilers

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Forwards (13)​

Defensemen (7)​

Goalies (3)​

Off the top of my head.... that's a good shot at the Canadian roster. Theodore should be there (over Power) and I'm doubtful of a few of them (Stamkos, Bouchard etc.) but it's not bad.

A thing people need to keep in mind is that this is essentially a glorified all-star game tournament. The purpose is to maximize viewership and make as much money as possible. Therefore high profile players such as Bedard are going to make the roster 100%.
Sure it may be a glorified exhibition but as far as we know the GMs can choose who they want, at least assuming they just want NHLers.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Morrissey is 100% making the team.

I hope so. But

Forwards (13)​

Defensemen (7)​

Goalies (3)​

Johnston over Stamkos, and Theodore over Power would be my only two changes. Not a bad looking team at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad