World Cup: Four Nations Tournament-Team Canada

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is what I would be considering going into this tournament. I'd be more conservative if it were the Olympics but I view this as part one of the process, so I'd like Dobson, of whom I am a fan, would get a regular role for me even though Canada could probably use another sturdy right side option. Would have been nice for Ekblad to have grown into that option at this level.

LW1 McDavid Point
LW2 MacKinnon RW1
Marchand Crosby Reinhart
Bedard Thomas Konecny
Barzal

RW1 – Marner, Johnston, Stone, Cozens

LW1/2 – Lafreniere, Byfield, Hyman, O’Reilly

Toews Makar
Morrissey Doughty
Theodore Dobson

D1 – Power, Byram, Parayko, Bouchard, Pelech, Rielly, Chabot

Not sure about the goaltenders. For positions I'm not sure on I listed players I seriously considered. Canada's PP core would be Makar, McDavid, Point, MacKinnon, and whoever as a net front presence and ideally they ride that unit hard. Core PK forwards would be Thomas, Marchand, Konecny and Reinhart. Defencemen would be Doughty, Toews, Makar, and..... I don't know yet.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
This is what I would be considering going into this tournament. I'd be more conservative if it were the Olympics but I view this as part one of the process, so I'd like Dobson, of whom I am a fan, would get a regular role for me even though Canada could probably use another sturdy right side option. Would have been nice for Ekblad to have grown into that option at this level.

LW1 McDavid Point
LW2 MacKinnon RW1
Marchand Crosby Reinhart
Bedard Thomas Konecny
Barzal

RW1 – Marner, Johnston, Stone, Cozens

LW1/2 – Lafreniere, Byfield, Hyman, O’Reilly

Toews Makar
Morrissey Doughty
Theodore Dobson

D1 – Power, Byram, Parayko, Bouchard, Pelech, Rielly, Chabot

Not sure about the goaltenders. For positions I'm not sure on I listed players I seriously considered. Canada's PP core would be Makar, McDavid, Point, MacKinnon, and whoever as a net front presence and ideally they ride that unit hard. Core PK forwards would be Thomas, Marchand, Konecny and Reinhart. Defencemen would be Doughty, Toews, Makar, and..... I don't know yet.
I would be fine with Morrisey being put on the 2nd PK with Doughty. He used to be a mainstay on the Jets PK and was pretty darn good at being a shutdown option with Maurice’s style before flourishing into a true #1 option with Bowness. Wouldn’t mind Johnston or Point centring the 2nd PK unit with someone like a Marchand or Konecny

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I would be fine with Morrisey being put on the 2nd PK with Doughty. He used to be a mainstay on the Jets PK and was pretty darn good at being a shutdown option with Maurice’s style before flourishing into a true #1 option with Bowness. Wouldn’t mind Johnston or Point centring the 2nd PK unit with someone like a Marchand or Konecny
It would likely be Morrissey with those given players. I wouldn't have a problem with Konecny as the centre on the pk unit, it's mostly just the faceoff and he played centre for years.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
It would likely be Morrissey with those given players. I wouldn't have a problem with Konecny as the centre on the pk unit, it's mostly just the faceoff and he played centre for years.
I don’t like the idea of Konency being a centre on the PK.

He’s going to be going up against either Matthews or Eichel on a stacked USA PP and get cooked in the face-off circle. Being able to win those defensive zone draws on a PK are so big. I love his playstyle, I just don’t think it’s practical for Canada to put a winger at centre on the PK. We have some of best centres in the world. Konency has thrived at the pro level as a winger so I’d rather have him on the wing on the PK.

Point and Johnston are both such smart players and I think they would be better options with your team’s set-up. Perhaps, Canada could benefit in bringing a ROR, Danault or Cirelli. I wouldn’t mind Jarvis centering a PK either.

Last edited:

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
To be quite honest, I don't quite understand the love that Barzal gets when the media and people on here put together these rosters. He's a superb skater, I'll give him that, but has a heavy playmaking bias and as predominantly a winger now with the Islanders I don't think his skillset really fits the wing position. He should be playing centre, with the puck on his stick, distributing it, leading the transition and rush with his speed. His primary skills are really being limited on the wing, imho.

In a national team context, I don't think he scores enough goals or is good enough along the boards to play the wing position (most importantly, certainly not above several better options including Marner, who's a better playmaker and better defensively, though not as fast), and he should be behind several centres as well for a depth role given his weakness on the faceoff dot and in the d-zone. He's pretty far down the centre depth chart in my roster mock-ups, behind Thomas, Suzuki, Johnston (likely to get moved to the wing), Horvat, and maybe even O'Reilly. I think those players all offer a more well-rounded 200-foot game than Barzal. On the right side, I have him behind Point, Reinhart, Johnston, Marner, Lafreniere, Konecny, Stamkos, Bedard, and probably Stone as well if he's healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Regal

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

He’s going to be going up against either Matthews or Eichel on a stacked USA PP and get cooked in the face-off circle. Being able to win those defensive zone draws on a PK are so big. I love his playstyle, I just don’t think it’s practical for Canada to put a winger at centre on the PK. We have some of best centres in the world. Konency has thrived at the pro level as a winger so I’d rather have him on the wing on the PK.

Point and Johnston are both such smart players and I think they would be better options with your team’s set-up. Perhaps, Canada could benefit in bringing a ROR, Danault or Cirelli. I wouldn’t mind Jarvis centering a PK either.

I agree with on Konecny. But, I wouldn't be shy about using Crosby on the PK. If his role on this ends up being a #3 centre, he should be counted on to PK. Realistically we'll need three units:

Crosby (LHS C) / Reinhart (RHS C)
Thomas (RHS C) / Konecny
Point (RHS C) / Marchand

Obviously if someone like O'Reilly or Stone makes the cut they'll be core members of the PK, but I think the units above give Canada enough from a faceoff perspective on both sides of the ice, PK ability/experience, and speed.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I agree with on Konecny. But, I wouldn't be shy about using Crosby on the PK. If his role on this ends up being a #3 centre, he should be counted on to PK. Realistically we'll need three units:

Crosby (LHS C) / Reinhart (RHS C)
Thomas (RHS C) / Konecny
Point (RHS C) / Marchand

Obviously if someone like O'Reilly or Stone makes the cut they'll be core members of the PK, but I think the units above give Canada enough from a faceoff perspective on both sides of the ice, PK ability/experience, and speed.
Crosby is Crosby. You can put him in any situation and he’ll be just fine. I would opt for a more defensive player, but I have no problem with Crosby killing penalties if it comes to that

I do think Hockey Canada Brass, Cooper and Crosby himself will push for an All-Nova Scotia line so I don’t think he’ll be our 3rd line Centre, but you never know

Reactions: minibrodeur

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Crosby is Crosby. You can put him in any situation and he’ll be just fine. I would opt for a more defensive player, but I have no problem with Crosby killing penalties if it comes to that

For sure, but this may be a team that doesn't really have a traditional checking/defensive line like previous best-on-best national teams unless Armstrong opts for players like Danault or O'Reilly in the bottom 6. In which case, Crosby may actually be the checking line/matchup centre, which I certainly wouldn't be opposed to if he's flanked by wingers like Reinhart, Point or Marchand.

I'd want Crosby out there to take the most critical d-zone faceoffs, at ES or on the PK, if we're protecting a lead or involved in a tight game. He's by far our best LHS faceoff option. Just by virtue of his faceoff ability from the left side he'll need to play in a lot of key game situations. Same goes for Thomas or Suzuki from the right side, as our other RHS centre options (Point, MacKinnon and Reinhart) are sub-50% at faceoffs. Makes we wonder whether Armstrong will opt for stronger defense and faceoff capability at the depth positions.

If Marner makes the team, he is an outstanding PK option as well - I should have mentioned him in my previous post. Realistically, Marner, Reinhart, and Konecny probably can't all make the team (at some point it becomes a numbers game), but all three provide solid PK ability.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
A thing people need to keep in mind is that this is essentially a glorified all-star game tournament. The purpose is to maximize viewership and make as much money as possible. Therefore high profile players such as Bedard are going to make the roster 100%.
It won't be an all-star tournament for Canada.

There's too many players chomping at the bit to play in the Olympics. Play bad here and you might not get the call.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I doubt he’ll make it barring a hot start but I feel like Seth Jarvis should get more consideration. I think he’s a pretty similar level to Konecny

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
To be quite honest, I don't quite understand the love that Barzal gets when the media and people on here put together these rosters. He's a superb skater, I'll give him that, but has a heavy playmaking bias and as predominantly a winger now with the Islanders I don't think his skillset really fits the wing position. He should be playing centre, with the puck on his stick, distributing it, leading the transition and rush with his speed. His primary skills are really being limited on the wing, imho.

In a national team context, I don't think he scores enough goals or is good enough along the boards to play the wing position (most importantly, certainly not above several better options including Marner, who's a better playmaker and better defensively, though not as fast), and he should be behind several centres as well for a depth role given his weakness on the faceoff dot and in the d-zone. He's pretty far down the centre depth chart in my roster mock-ups, behind Thomas, Suzuki, Johnston (likely to get moved to the wing), Horvat, and maybe even O'Reilly. I think those players all offer a more well-rounded 200-foot game than Barzal. On the right side, I have him behind Point, Reinhart, Johnston, Marner, Lafreniere, Konecny, Stamkos, Bedard, and probably Stone as well if he's healthy.

Yea, I don’t see the role for him either really. Unlike Marner it’s arguable if he’s a even a top 12 Canadian forward from a strictly value standpoint, and there’s better players who do what he’s best at in terms of puck carrying and playmaking. If both McDavid or MacKinnon were hurt then maybe he’d make more sense, but I feel like his name comes up more from the typical Team Canada talk of needing to bring speed and skill rather than just grinders that happened after ‘98

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
For sure, but this may be a team that doesn't really have a traditional checking/defensive line like previous best-on-best national teams unless Armstrong opts for players like Danault or O'Reilly in the bottom 6. In which case, Crosby may actually be the checking line/matchup centre, which I certainly wouldn't be opposed to if he's flanked by wingers like Reinhart, Point or Marchand.

I'd want Crosby out there to take the most critical d-zone faceoffs, at ES or on the PK, if we're protecting a lead or involved in a tight game. He's by far our best LHS faceoff option. Just by virtue of his faceoff ability from the left side he'll need to play in a lot of key game situations. Same goes for Thomas or Suzuki from the right side, as our other RHS centre options (Point, MacKinnon and Reinhart) are sub-50% at faceoffs. Makes we wonder whether Armstrong will opt for stronger defense and faceoff capability at the depth positions.

If Marner makes the team, he is an outstanding PK option as well - I should have mentioned him in my previous post. Realistically, Marner, Reinhart, and Konecny probably can't all make the team (at some point it becomes a numbers game), but all three provide solid PK ability.

To be fair, Point had a bad faceoff season but was slightly over 50% the 5 years prior. He’s not Thomas or Suzuki but I don’t know if it would be a problem unless his last season trend continues this year.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

If Canada had a bunch of faceoff experts liable to make the team it would be one thing, but options are limited. The faceoff is important but it's better to have a legitimate penalty killer who is mediocre on faceoffs than a good faceoff centre who is mediocre at penalty killing, barring certain situations. If someone like O'Reilly makes the team that's great.

Not to speak for various other people but Barzal is a bet on talent and some positional versatility, sort of like Duchene was tenish years back. I agree that he isn't the ideal fit but Canada isn't as loaded as it was. Barzal is proven at centre, RW, has some decent reps internationally at the senior level and is at least fine defensively. You pretty much know what to expect from him but ideally a young guy breaks out and takes that spot or even a versatile veteran shows some spring in their step and takes it. I doubt anyone is pushing for Barzal in a prominent role.

I doubt he’ll make it barring a hot start but I feel like Seth Jarvis should get more consideration. I think he’s a pretty similar level to Konecny

Jarvis is good, it will be interesting to see how he does to start this year because you'd have to think that his name is at least somewhere on the radar as a solid two way player. It's unfortunate that he has almost no experience internationally but at least he has a solid number of playoff games this short into his career.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
If Canada had a bunch of faceoff experts liable to make the team it would be one thing, but options are limited. The faceoff is important but it's better to have a legitimate penalty killer who is mediocre on faceoffs than a good faceoff centre who is mediocre at penalty killing, barring certain situations. If someone like O'Reilly makes the team that's great.

Not to speak for various other people but Barzal is a bet on talent and some positional versatility, sort of like Duchene was tenish years back. I agree that he isn't the ideal fit but Canada isn't as loaded as it was. Barzal is proven at centre, RW, has some decent reps internationally at the senior level and is at least fine defensively. You pretty much know what to expect from him but ideally a young guy breaks out and takes that spot or even a versatile veteran shows some spring in their step and takes it. I doubt anyone is pushing for Barzal in a prominent role.

Jarvis is good, it will be interesting to see how he does to start this year because you'd have to think that his name is at least somewhere on the radar as a solid two way player. It's unfortunate that he has almost no experience internationally but at least he has a solid number of playoff games this short into his career.

I strongly suspect that Duchene made the 2014 Olympic team because he's a tremendous skater, the tournament was held on international ice, and he had showed reasonably well overall at 3 World Championships leading up to the Olympics. With respect to Barzal, I feel like ironically his chances are much better at making the 2026 Olympics than they are the 2025 4 Nations Cup. With the teams involved, on NHL-sized ice, I wouldn't be surprised if Armstrong leans heavy in terms of his picks. Of the Islanders players, I think Horvat has a better chance of making the team than Barzal for that reason, in addition to faceoff ability and goal scoring ability.

The Duchene/Barzal comparison is a good one, but I think we have a little more talent and more options now at the bottom end of the roster than we did back then (I recall Duchene competing with Couture and Lucic for the final forward spot).

I agree that Jarvis merits consideration, but he's probably caught in a logjam at RW. On the right side, we've got:
- Point (RHS C) - possibly moved to the wing
- MacKinnon (RHS C) - may be moved to the wing on a Nova Scotia line
- Marner (RW)
- Hyman (plays both wings)
- Reinhart (RW)
- Lafreniere (LHS RW last season, can play both)
- Johnston (RHS C, plays wing)
- Stamkos (RHS, plays mostly wing now)
- Bedard (RHS centre, likely to play wing internationally for now)
- Stone (RW...defensive option)
- Barzal (aforementioned)
- Konecny (RHS, plays both wings)
- Jarvis (RW)

Even if Point and MacKinnon end up at centre, and Hyman and Lafreniere play the left side (or are excluded), can Jarvis beat out Marner, Reinhart, Johnston, Bedard and Konecny (and Stone, Stamkos, Barzal)? I'm not sure. If he can play the left side, the path might be a little clearer for him but he's still competing with:
- Marchand
- Lafreniere
- Hyman
- Byfield
- Hagel
- Konecny (plays both wings)
- Stamkos (plays both wings)

I don't see it happening for Jarvis unless he clearly surpasses the Lafrenieres, Byfields and Johnstons of the world as THE top young gun that Armstrong wants to groom for 2026 and beyond. And this is ignoring Celebrini, who has apparently been anointed as the second coming of Jonathan Toews, and possible depth centres like Horvat, Suzuki or Thomas who may get flexed over to the wing.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I strongly suspect that Duchene made the 2014 Olympic team because he's a tremendous skater, the tournament was held on international ice, and he had showed reasonably well overall at 3 World Championships leading up to the Olympics. With respect to Barzal, I feel like ironically his chances are much better at making the 2026 Olympics than they are the 2025 4 Nations Cup. With the teams involved, on NHL-sized ice, I wouldn't be surprised if Armstrong leans heavy in terms of his picks. Of the Islanders players, I think Horvat has a better chance of making the team than Barzal for that reason, in addition to faceoff ability and goal scoring ability.

The Duchene/Barzal comparison is a good one, but I think we have a little more talent and more options now at the bottom end of the roster than we did back then (I recall Duchene competing with Couture and Lucic for the final forward spot).

I agree that Jarvis merits consideration, but he's probably caught in a logjam at RW. On the right side, we've got:
- Point (RHS C) - possibly moved to the wing
- MacKinnon (RHS C) - may be moved to the wing on a Nova Scotia line
- Marner (RW)
- Hyman (plays both wings)
- Reinhart (RW)
- Lafreniere (LHS RW last season, can play both)
- Johnston (RHS C, plays wing)
- Stamkos (RHS, plays mostly wing now)
- Bedard (RHS centre, likely to play wing internationally for now)
- Stone (RW...defensive option)
- Barzal (aforementioned)
- Konecny (RHS, plays both wings)
- Jarvis (RW)

Even if Point and MacKinnon end up at centre, and Hyman and Lafreniere play the left side (or are excluded), can Jarvis beat out Marner, Reinhart, Johnston, Bedard and Konecny (and Stone, Stamkos, Barzal)? I'm not sure. If he can play the left side, the path might be a little clearer for him but he's still competing with:
- Marchand
- Lafreniere
- Hyman
- Byfield
- Hagel
- Konecny (plays both wings)
- Stamkos (plays both wings)

I don't see it happening for Jarvis unless he clearly surpasses the Lafrenieres, Byfields and Johnstons of the world as THE top young gun that Armstrong wants to groom for 2026 and beyond. And this is ignoring Celebrini, who has apparently been anointed as the second coming of Jonathan Toews, and possible depth centres like Horvat, Suzuki or Thomas who may get flexed over to the wing.
I agree that that is why Duchene was there, and the logic is the same. Barzal is one of the best skaters in the world and can play wing, I recognize that stylistically he is not a great fit. Definitely think the competition is lesser now than 10 years ago, not all that close really. 2014 St. Louis, Couture, Hall, Seguin, Giroux would all make Canada's team right now.

Also the 2026 Olympics will be on NHL sized ice so that factor isn't an issue. It definitely could change the thinking when it comes to elite skaters like Barzal.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

I'd rather have Barzal over Horvat, Stamkos or Suzuki. I think he offers more offensively than all 3 of those players and the defensive roles that Suzuki and Horvat provide would already be filled with your previously posted mock roster. Barzal can always centre a line and have someone else take face-offs.

Horvat is a solid 200ft player, but coming from a Canucks fan, he is massively overrated defensively. He's more of a power forward that can be defensively responsible vs. a true 2-way forward. I can't deny his FO ability, he almost never lost a draw when I watched him on the Canucks. Suzuki makes more sense than me to Horvat, but as previously stated, I think he's expendable with the roster you posted.

Stamkos is still valuable despite a lot of people leaving him off their rosters. He would be Canada's 2nd triggerman after Bedard and his chemistry with Point and palying behind Cooper helps. With that being said, I think Canada can leave off Stammer in lieu of more skilled and younger players.

Reactions: ecemleafs

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Loving the talk here about our options by guys that know what they are talking about. I wonder if Bennett gets a look on this team ( I don' think he gets a sniff a the olympics but think he may have a chance for this 4 nations thing which is in north america and will get far more heated then the olympics will get) They may like him for this event rightly or wrongly.

Think the inclusion of Cozens by people is smart................good skating big kid who likes to drive and can score goals.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
1720820802927.png

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Don’t know how anyone can leave Verhaege off their rosters after these past 2 seasons and Canada’s weakness at LW.

FYI, his 26th goal in his playoff career was a 1-0 go-ahead goal in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Just a certified dog who only scores when it matters.

Attachments

• 29EB3382-682F-4F74-8BE3-9B8A467CD7D9.jpeg
    29EB3382-682F-4F74-8BE3-9B8A467CD7D9.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 1A136BBC-7FED-46D7-8446-62B6BE45A023.jpeg
    1A136BBC-7FED-46D7-8446-62B6BE45A023.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I'd rather have Barzal over Horvat, Stamkos or Suzuki. I think he offers more offensively than all 3 of those players and the defensive roles that Suzuki and Horvat provide would already be filled with your previously posted mock roster. Barzal can always centre a line and have someone else take face-offs.

Horvat is a solid 200ft player, but coming from a Canucks fan, he is massively overrated defensively. He's more of a power forward that can be defensively responsible vs. a true 2-way forward. I can't deny his FO ability, he almost never lost a draw when I watched him on the Canucks. Suzuki makes more sense than me to Horvat, but as previously stated, I think he's expendable with the roster you posted.

Stamkos is still valuable despite a lot of people leaving him off their rosters. He would be Canada's 2nd triggerman after Bedard and his chemistry with Point and palying behind Cooper helps. With that being said, I think Canada can leave off Stammer in lieu of more skilled and younger players.

Yeah, tbh I just don't like how Barzal fits on a hypothetical 2025 team. There are two smallish players already locked in (Point, Marchand), and a few others that are good bets to make the team (Marner, Bedard, Johnston, Konecny, even Reinhart isn't that big/physical). I agree that Barzal offers more all-around offensive capability than Horvat and Suzuki, but at the depth position I'd be looking to plug some holes and faceoff capability/goal-scoring (Horvat) and RHS faceoff capability combined with solid 200-foot play (Suzuki) are holes that probably need to get filled on my mock-up roster.

I agree with your follow up post on Verhaeghe, and he's a good example of someone you could plug into the bottom-6 to provide some goal scoring ability.

With Barzal, I just don't think he offers anything unique or necessary to the roster. I like the player and certainly wouldn't be upset if he were named to the team, but I just don't see him as a player that absolutely needs to be there under the "best talent available" rule of thumb or providing something that the roster otherwise lacks.

Also, I have no real way of proving this but I have a feeling that both Horvat and Suzuki have the "pedigree" that Armstrong will be looking for in that they were/are captains of Canadian-based clubs, and are both viewed as solid 200-foot players (though Horvat is overrrated in that respect, imho). I'd include Thomas is that group as well, though I think there is some separation between Thomas and Suzuki. I'd actually be surprised if Thomas isn't on the team.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
This might be a hot take but based on how the game is trending towards goals and offense in today’s nhl, I don’t think that the goalies will be that big of a factor. The 4 teams will be loaded with offensive firepower and goalies won’t be the difference between winning and losing. They will be less impactful than they have been in the past.

This is part of the reason why I think Canada is still the favourite. They’re going to dominate puck possession for most of their games. They don’t need Igor Shesterkin or Connor Hellebuyck to win games, just a competent goalie will do.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This might be a hot take but based on how the game is trending towards goals and offense in today’s nhl, I don’t think that the goalies will be that big of a factor. The 4 teams will be loaded with offensive firepower and goalies won’t be the difference between winning and losing. They will be less impactful than they have been in the past.

This is part of the reason why I think Canada is still the favourite. They’re going to dominate puck possession for most of their games. They don’t need Igor Shesterkin or Connor Hellebuyck to win games, just a competent goalie will do.

It will be interesting to see if they try to play the severe puck possession style they did in 2014 or more of a trade chances game. In 2014 they really tried to play perfect hockey where they took few chances and tried to just take what was given to them, but the downside of that is that you can get into lower scoring that means a bad goal or two on the counter attack can be backbreakers. That game against Latvia where they just couldn’t score despite owning the puck might have gone the other way without prime Price in net. I think they need to be a bit more loose with this group and allow guys like McDavid and MacKinnon to do their thing.

Reactions: PatrickMcC

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
It will be interesting to see if they try to play the severe puck possession style they did in 2014 or more of a trade chances game. In 2014 they really tried to play perfect hockey where they took few chances and tried to just take what was given to them, but the downside of that is that you can get into lower scoring that means a bad goal or two on the counter attack can be backbreakers. That game against Latvia where they just couldn’t score despite owning the puck might have gone the other way without prime Price in net. I think they need to be a bit more loose with this group and allow guys like McDavid and MacKinnon to do their thing.
Agreed. Think Canada will be more “run n’ gun” than 2014 and how can you not? You have game-changing speed in centres like McDavid and MacKinnon. One thing I hope Point does that I didn’t see as much as this season as last season, is just carry that damn puck up the ice and blow past defenders. His game is a little more conservative so you don’t see those moments as much as a McDavid or MacKinnon but man oh man is he not talked about enough when it comes to pure offensive power.

With guys like Crosby, Hyman and Marchand working the boards, I think Canada will still rely on heavy puck possession but you need to let the “big guns” work in their environment. This will get the other players going and will benefit Marner, who seems to always shut-off his stretch passes and creativity come postseason time. Give Marner an environment like that and he’ll flourish IMO

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The team has to play to some degree to the strengths of its players. There isn't the variety that was available in 2014. Odds are it's a fair bit more wide open.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad