Value of: Forward Prospects from Toronto for D/G prospects from other teams.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Philly has some goaltenders:

Stolarz: AHL All Star this year
Lyon: top FA college goalie this summer
Hart: CHL goalie of the year
Sandstrom: split SHL starter...youngest in the league...made WJC
Madsen: 1st year as college starter 2.00GAA, .931 SV% 18-7-3
Fedotov: 2.22GAA, .910 SV% 18-5-4
Tomek: 3rd rounder in 2015 but missed all season with injury

For fun, have at it.

Mad Brills*

Philly has some goaltenders:

Stolarz: AHL All Star this year
Lyon: top FA college goalie this summer
Hart: CHL goalie of the year
Sandstrom: split SHL starter...youngest in the league...made WJC
Madsen: 1st year as college starter 2.00GAA, .931 SV% 18-7-3
Fedotov: 2.22GAA, .910 SV% 18-5-4
Tomek: 3rd rounder in 2015 but missed all season with injury

For fun, have at it.

are any of stolarz/lyon ready for 20-25 games of NHL action?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
are any of stolarz/lyon ready for 20-25 games of NHL action?

This was Stolarz 1st year as an AHL starter. Getting more experience there is best for him.
Lyon...who knows. He played in college and making he jump right to NHL is likely not he best move either.

Flyers fans expect them to split duties thru the year with the better one getting more starts. Then in 2017, the best one becoming the backup to Mason if re-signed.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
well Chabot is in the same tier as Dermott and Neilsson, Timashov is also in that same tier in the Leaf prospect group. Just because the Sens have a weaker pool and Chabot slots in higher than Timashov does not mean the notoin of Timashov for Chabot is silly. I would rather trade Kap over Timashov.

Neutral fan saying I would take Chabot over all of those guys

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
well Chabot is in the same tier as Dermott and Neilsson, Timashov is also in that same tier in the Leaf prospect group. Just because the Sens have a weaker pool and Chabot slots in higher than Timashov does not mean the notoin of Timashov for Chabot is silly. I would rather trade Kap over Timashov.

Dude really, leafs have nothing besides the big 3 in propsect way that would entertain Ottawa trade Chabot.

Stop overrate your prospects. I mean Timashov is nothing special really, he has a slight chance of making it.....

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Toronto's prospect pool is deep not because they are great, but because there are a lot. After the big three it looks like every other team's 4-15 group, but TO's groups is 20 deep.

It's deep because it's deep in quality prospects. Every organization has a large pool, what separates some from others is the quality of the pool. Removing our A prospects doesn't change that we are still flush with more B prospects than most, and that there are worthwhile deals that could be made.

Not every deal needs to involve blue-chippers.

The OP removed all of the quality assets so how can you expect to get quality back? If you are offering up a guy like Nylander, then a guy like Provorov might be reasonable.

He didn't remove all the quality, he removed the three A prospects.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
It's deep because it's deep in quality prospects. Every organization has a large pool, what separates some from others is the quality of the pool. Removing our A prospects doesn't change that we are still flush with more B prospects than most, and that there are worthwhile deals that could be made.

So what team will trade their quality D-prospects for what you have left? Besides Ducks, rest of NHl needs to hoard more d-prospects, so if you want any, you gotta overpay..

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Unless the Leafs are planning to move an exposable forward to waivers or expansion for a younger D/G prospect who has a higher ceiling and is except to expansion there is no need to play this risky game unless a huge opportunity presents itself.

Why risk turning Kapanen into a D prospect to see us lose him like Percy while watching Kapanen turn into a top 6 forward?

Now if we can move a potential top 9 forward like Leivo or Brown who are in a sink or swim situation for an unproven potential top 4 defender then sure we take a chance to get the better player and free up a contract slot for another player to take. But I wouldn't bother with anything else right now unless we are getting grossly overpaid (Harrington for Rychel).

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Sure, but Brown and Kapanen aren't going to return a high end D either.

In all honesty... I think we are set, long into the future with second and third pairing D guys... we need a first pairing RHD... and Brown and Kapanen are not going to return that.

How about some patience, and see what Zaistev and Carrick turn out on the Right side? How about we see what this season holds, and whom we might draft next year. Maybe we get lucky again, and have the opportunity to draft Liljegren.

We can wait a year on all of these guys, see how they play in the Juniors or AHL. and better learn who we have to flip? Plus, if they aren't in the plans, we are probably better off trading for more future picks.

This. All this.

When Bracco is voted your 17th "best" prospect by fans, you have a very deep group. The problem is clear.... regardless how good they are, they can't all play on the Leafs. I am sure a guy like Bracco would have huge interest if put on the block, but in order to get a good return, NHL experience is a must, unless you are a top 5 pick.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa

The OP said

"Untouchables:
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Brown
Kapanen (in most scenarios)"

What kind of prospect do you think you can get? You want Chabot and want to give Timashov.

As for you prospects, look back after 5 years. Remember when Biggs, Percy, Finn, McKegg and Ross were all the rage? Now you have 2x as many similar prospects.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Leivo, timashov, and soshnikov should be off bounds based on readyness and potential

I kind like the Pokka swap for one of our forwards.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Leivo, timashov, and soshnikov should be off bounds based on readyness and potential

I kind like the Pokka swap for one of our forwards.

Sure those players will be off bounds (thread title changed to Absolute Garbage from Toronto for D/G prospects from other teams). What type of player, exactly, do you think you can acquire if the already shoddy premise of the OP is amended as you suggest?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
This. All this.

When Bracco is voted your 17th "best" prospect by fans, you have a very deep group. The problem is clear.... regardless how good they are, they can't all play on the Leafs. I am sure a guy like Bracco would have huge interest if put on the block, but in order to get a good return, NHL experience is a must, unless you are a top 5 pick.

That is correct. Do I think Dermott or Bracco could turn into a decent NHLer? Yes. Do I think they are special compared to their equivalents on other teams? No. They could get good returns if they lived up to their potential and proved themselves in the NHL, at least for a year or two. But at that point, would you even want to trade them, unless you get something really special back?

Matthews, Marner and Nylander get the benefit of the doubt for being top picks and having done everything right thus far. Problem is, we want to keep them. Every other prospect that could be expendable still needs to prove themselves to create trade value.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
The OP said

"Untouchables:
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Brown
Kapanen (in most scenarios)"

What kind of prospect do you think you can get? You want Chabot and want to give Timashov.

As for you prospects, look back after 5 years. Remember when Biggs, Percy, Finn, McKegg and Ross were all the rage? Now you have 2x as many similar prospects.

What kind of prospect do I think we can get? Hopefully one that will help the team. It doesn't have to be a Provorov to do that, nor Chabot, who is worth more than Timashov but is still only a B prospect who's not much better than Dermott. I also would have any of our prospects as untouchable beyond Matthews.

When I look back 5 years I see a bad prospect pool that was rated as such. I see a different management group and (mostly) different scouts who had a different drafting philosophy than the one we currently have.

Following the thread guidelines i'd ask about Victor Mete and Phoenix Copely.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm obviously not in charge or anything, but I'd give you your choice of Roland McKeown or Trevor Carrick + 2nd rounder for Kapanen. Or maybe even a Brett Pesce, but then the + migrates to your side of the equation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad