Value of: Forward Prospects from Toronto for D/G prospects from other teams.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CamelToews

Dec 16, 2015
I'm obviously not in charge or anything, but I'd give you your choice of Roland McKeown or Trevor Carrick + 2nd rounder for Kapanen. Or maybe even a Brett Pesce, but then the + migrates to your side of the equation.

I'd consider Trevor Carrick + 2nd rounder for Kapanen. Think we could get a better offer though, especially if we package him with another pick/prospect.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
While neither was THE top D in their respective leagues last season, I think it's more than fair to say both Dermott and Nielsen were among the best few.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Make a performance based case why Dickinson/ Ully (the Dallas 4/5 forwards in my estimation) are undeniably better (on another tier from) than Kapanen/Lindberg/Leivo/Leipsic/Brown/Timashov etc.

See this just shows you don't know other teams prospect. For Dallas, I along with many other would consider Dickinson to be interchangeable with Shore for our number 1 spot for forward prospects. As for making a permanent based case, that is near impossible. There aren't enough stats out there recorded for their leagues and points aren't everything. Also I don't watch enough Marlies games just like you don't watch enough Texas games to to reasonably take in what the other would argue.

So for your list I would take Dickinson over everyone of those and I fully expect any leafs fan to come and laugh at that statement but I would stand by it. You have good top end prospects but outside of that I'm sorry to tell you but they are nothing special

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
See this just shows you don't know other teams prospect. For Dallas, I along with many other would consider Dickinson to be interchangeable with Shore for our number 1 spot for forward prospects. As for making a permanent based case, that is near impossible. There aren't enough stats out there recorded for their leagues and points aren't everything. Also I don't watch enough Marlies games just like you don't watch enough Texas games to to reasonably take in what the other would argue.

So for your list I would take Dickinson over everyone of those and I fully expect any leafs fan to come and laugh at that statement but I would stand by it. You have good top end prospects but outside of that I'm sorry to tell you but they are nothing special

Well to be fair that considering Ritchie still a prospect and I personally really like Tufte's upside.

That's the point. There is a strong argument that each of those guys is at an interchangeable level, there's no clear differentiation (value wise). Just a bunch of players of various skillsets who've had similar levels of success in junior/ minors and project well as top 9 forwards with some top 6 upside.

Individually after the big three no they are not special, its just that there is a lot of them that are solid B/ B+ level guys.

Last edited:

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
No, I just look at prospects in groupings rather than rankings. Rankings unnecessarily push guys down and they end up getting devalued, punishing depth. A guy like Leipsic was a top 3-4 forward prospect in Nashville. Lindberg a top 5f in ottawa. Now they're pretty much faces, "depth" prospects despite not becoming actually getting better. Kapanen's a comparable level guy to the Tuch's and Scherbaks of the world. Vaporize the big 3 and you're still left with a solid pool with great depth, though a mediocre at best top end.

Also the canes pool is still hugely underrated, too many sleeping on Saarela still.

Ummm, Lindberg was 9th in Ottawa (Though I though he should have been around 7th, and I was correct as Prince and Peumple are busts as I predicted).

Lindberg is going to be a solid NHLer and is more valuable that guys like Timashov, Leivo, Hyman and the like.

I would happily take him back in Ottawa for a guy like Harpur or Jaros (Not Englund though)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Would cane fans do kappy+2017 1st (top 10 protected so if it lands in this area you get an 2018 unprotected 1st) for either slavin or Pesce.

Forget about Value for a moment. The problem with that proposal is that, contrary to popular HF belief, the Canes are trying to make the playoffs now. They were close last year after an abysmal start and right or wrong, they expect to compete for a playoff spot this year and going forward. This proposal makes the worse, for at least the near future. Kapanen isn't really going to supplant anyone in their top 6 (probably even top 9) this year and maybe even next. The 2017/18 first won't likely help them for 2-3 years either, but losing Slavin or Pesce takes a top 4 D out of their line-up.

Re: Slavin vs. Pesce, I think you will find the vast majority of Canes fans view Slavin as much more valuable than Pesce.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Forget about Value for a moment. The problem with that proposal is that, contrary to popular HF belief, the Canes are trying to make the playoffs now. They were close last year after an abysmal start and right or wrong, they expect to compete for a playoff spot this year and going forward. This proposal makes the worse, for at least the near future. Kapanen isn't really going to supplant anyone in their top 6 (probably even top 9) this year and maybe even next. The 2017/18 first won't likely help them for 2-3 years either, but losing Slavin or Pesce takes a top 4 D out of their line-up.

Re: Slavin vs. Pesce, I think you will find the vast majority of Canes fans view Slavin as much more valuable than Pesce.

Makes sense. The canes did finish pretty high and are a potential playoff team. So I guess we don't make good trading partners. I'd love to add Pesce or slavin (but I guess cane fans would value him higher than pesce), but it looks like these two wont be traded until at the very least when bean, and fleury prove they are nhl players. And even than if these guys become legit top 4 dmen moving forward than I guess they become part of the canes core on the backend. Well it was worth a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad