Post-Game Talk: Flu Ridden Jets 4 - Tokarski Pens 1

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
BSD played so well, I'm impressed. I am *really* impressed, he is much better this year so far than I thought he would be as a backup.

I wonder if this is a similar effect to what Brossoit gave the Jets in his back up role. eg, Bro played better than I thought he would for us.

The common denominator is the Jets goalie coach. Is his influence that good? Maybe its because he's practicing with Helly every day?

I suspect that Helle is the common denominator. Not to take anything away from Flaherty. He must be doing his job. But it seems to me that both BSD and Bro started looking like Helle in net. I think he rubs off on them.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Assuming both spend their careers with the Jets Scheifele and Connor will be 1 - 2 at over 1000 points.

That old narrative about Flats ruining goalies is beyond absurd by this point.

Yes - and we have all eaten our serving of crow.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Is this team better than the 2017-18 Jets?
We finished with 114 points that year
Projection are 108 points for this years team based on performance so far
There’s still half a season left.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
So great to outshoot, outplay, out defend, out class and out score our opponents.
Great mental toughness to overcome the called back goals and soldier on.
Full marks for everyone.
When 91-55-26 can look like that and we know what Dubois's line is capable of you can start to get very excited.

Bonus question:

Who recognizes the image (what movie) from the GDT end credits.

NHVBPp3.jpg

TheBuyckStopsHere

Apr 2, 2014
ATL

It's very close...I'm going to say yes in terms of coaching, and structure.

Talent wise obviously not, but that team was freestyling we didn't have structure at all. It was pretty much we can out score you, and out skill you, because we got helle in the back.

Now we hold everyone accountable. Doesn't matter if you're Wheeler or Stenlund, or Connor you will be scolded if you're not doing work. That's the biggest difference from this coaching team that I love.

Back then Wheeler, Chef, Trouba, Buff, I like to call them the BOYZ. They would get 20+ mins every game even if they made a mistake especially the forwards. You look now, and we finally have a competent 4th line that can get 10 mins in if needed. Fyallby is a Gem.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I really want/need to see the Jets stomp the frikken Wild who have owned us so far. Who could end up being our first round opponent.

I have missed a fair number games so far, but of the ones I have seen, this is easily one of, if not the best game I have seen them play. Very impressive, especially with it being B2B, and 3 in 4.
We do have a lot of trouble against Minnesota, and the Northern US teams like Detroit. I think this has a lot to do with a lot of the Jets being from the Northern US, and their focus gets distracted, seeing family and friends, instead of focusing on the game their going to play. I remember back awhile we had trouble as well with the Wild, during regular season, but took care of them quite easy in the playoffs.

When the Jets travel to Minnesota or Michigan they are so busy seeing their friends and family and getting them tickets to the game, it totally blows away their concentration. That's my take on it, especially for the Wild, who we should beat.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I'd need to look it up, but IIRC when Stats was fully integrated, that team was just a monster to end the season.

I did remember right, geez.

Holy shit what a heater in the final 11 games:

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 1.32.28 AM.png

15-5 to end the season, including this 10-1 run.

Decided to watch the highlights of that four-game OT/Shootout win run:

Kings:
Laine leaves the Kings game with a foot injury after blocking a shot - completely forgot about that, lol
Holy shit that Kopitar Pepto-Bismo meme was in this run, LMFAO.
3rd Period shots were 14-2 Jets in a 1-1 tie.
This win set a franchise record for wins

Ducks:
woah a Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler sighting.
(Laine is back, BTW)
This should have been like 5-1.
"And remarkably, anaheim is gonna get points outta this game" - Ducks broadcast

Predators:
Man, I remember the hype around this game.
Jets went down 2-0 on a buzzer beater, then went down 3-1
God I miss Buff so much
KFC is the best player on the Jets in this run. Insane he started on the Moose this season.
This game - and SO win clinched the playoffs

Bruins:
Oh god, the digital ads on the glass behind the nets on American broadcasts were the start of the slippery slope towards the stupid ads this year.
LMFAO the Bruins commentator confusing how french to pronounce Chairot's and Perreault's names. As someone living in Eastman - I feel ya buddy.
This game is 3-1 entering the third period.
Some incredible shots in this game, and my main man Joe Morrow probably had the best one.
Holy shit, Maurice had a terrible challenge, and that's what cost the Jets the lead.
Man, Tanev had a knack for scoring the weakest goals I've ever seen, lol - a hat trick in this game
OMG in the final moments of both BOS and NSH OT's the Jets gave up a clean breakaway and the player just missed

Watching these highlights, it's insane how familiar the forwards feel (Even Stats feels very PLD-esque), while there are basically no remaining defenders.

Last edited:

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
Great 6-1/5-1/4-1 victory.

Edit: It's unbelievable how much different we look compared to last season. it is as if we have replaced the whole team, which isn't the case at all. the team has looked poised, calm and organized all season long.

What a joy this season has been so far and I'm sure there's plenty more to come!

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
So great to outshoot, outplay, out defend, out class and out score our opponents.
Great mental toughness to overcome the called back goals and soldier on.
Full marks for everyone.
When 91-55-26 can look like that and we know what Dubois's line is capable of you can start to get very excited.

Bonus question:

Who recognizes the image (what movie) from the GDT end credits.

NHVBPp3.jpg
This image is a dead ringer for The Return of Godzilla. (Clearly Godzilla on the far left, and I know the cop didn't listen to him).. Maybe its Son of Godzilla? (It could be the Showa era).

Please @ me for my share of bonus points. :)

Reactions: Stumbledore

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
We do have a lot of trouble against Minnesota, and the Northern US teams like Detroit. I think this has a lot to do with a lot of the Jets being from the Northern US, and their focus gets distracted, seeing family and friends, instead of focusing on the game their going to play. I remember back awhile we had trouble as well with the Wild, during regular season, but took care of them quite easy in the playoffs.

When the Jets travel to Minnesota or Michigan they are so busy seeing their friends and family and getting them tickets to the game, it totally blows away their concentration. That's my take on it, especially for the Wild, who we should beat.
Last paragraph 100 percent my belief also.
Detroit game Helle was there physically lol
We got 4/6 points and won in Pittsburg!!
Missed last night was out having drinks with Mrs.Eye and Mr. & Mrs @John Agar
Hopefully we do “many things” to the Yotes
@kanadalainen please fill in the many things for us
GJG

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Oh man, can atleast have some salt on that crow Im gonna eat for hating the Bowness hiring. I think this was even better than Trotz, beacuse I dont think our offense from our D would be this good. Provorov should demand a trade to the Jets so he could get his game going like Norrisey...

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Oh man, can atleast have some salt on that crow Im gonna eat for hating the Bowness hiring. I think this was even better than Trotz, beacuse I dont think our offense from our D would be this good. Provorov should demand a trade to the Jets so he could get his game going like Norrisey...
I didn’t hate it, but I was thinking unless this guy is a miracle worker we’re doomed again.
Well he’s turned this team around on and off the ice
A+++++
He’s made me believe as well.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm a positive Dude when it comes to the Jets but i really thought we would be good this season with a new coach, maybe not THIS good but good. Maurice was here too long and unless you are winning Cups eventually you need a new coach and voice, players and the coach get stale after a while especially when you aren't winning. I wanted Trotz but this is starting to look like the Andrew Ladd situation where we tried to sign him and let Buff go, thankfully Ladd wanted way too much money and we signed Buff instead. Anyway very happy with Bowness and i hope he wins Coach of the year because the difference between this team and the last 2 years is amazing.:nod:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The same goalie coach that was ruining our goalies?

I think its just the team and system in front of them
I'm not sure about that. Brossoit didn't have this, neither did Comrie.

I'm not honestly sure that Rittich has been any better than what he's been. I just think expectations of a backup are too high.

I think rittich has been fine and just what you'd hope a backup will be. He was steady last night but the Pens really didn't test him that much.

I'm happy with him, and he's outperforming the guy that people whined about us letting walk this offseason for a lot less money

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I wonder if that’s true. I wonder why certain teams draft better goalies or develop them. For instance, Boston, Nashville, Washington have had more than their fair share of great goalies.
Also, you have to wonder why some teams (cough cough Oilers) seem to discard goalies who aren't getting it done and they go on to play really well elsewhere (bro, talbot, dubnyk).

Sure, some of that is the way the team plays in front of them, but I do believe a goalie coach does the mental things to allow the goalie to play at their best. It's also not a one size fits all scenario. Some guys aren't focused enough, some are too hard on themselves, etc.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Huh, I guess I focused too much on a few plays by Perfetti. I didn't think he had a great game. Nice pass to Wheeler on the Scheifele goal but apart from that thought he was bobbling the puck a lot. Wasn't wowing me consistently like he did in the Detroit game.
What I saw was a kid who even though was sick showed some real balls and battled through it. That one play where he had the puck in his feet and just wouldn't give up on it in the offensive zone, leading to possession was a prime example of that.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I was unimpressed by the signing of Bones. Felt like yesterday's cold leftovers. But hey, I was a roiling ball of rage and dissappointment at the time! It just felt like another example of this franchise having to settle for whoever we could find that didn't have a better option on the table, and given the way the season had gone I was sorta sick of that feeling. I still think that's what it really was actually...but it's worked out pretty well anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad