Post-Game Talk: Flu Ridden Jets 4 - Tokarski Pens 1

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I suspect that Helle is the common denominator. Not to take anything away from Flaherty. He must be doing his job. But it seems to me that both BSD and Bro started looking like Helle in net. I think he rubs off on them.
I think playing behind Helly forces the backup to be on top of their game. But I wouldn’t be so quick to diminish Flats role. Don’t forget it took Helly a couple seasons in the NHL before he became the current version of Helly.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Attachments

• 20230114_090519.jpg
    20230114_090519.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 2

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Also, you have to wonder why some teams (cough cough Oilers) seem to discard goalies who aren't getting it done and they go on to play really well elsewhere (bro, talbot, dubnyk).

Sure, some of that is the way the team plays in front of them, but I do believe a goalie coach does the mental things to allow the goalie to play at their best. It's also not a one size fits all scenario. Some guys aren't focused enough, some are too hard on themselves, etc.

To the bolded:
Also was thinking of Frederik Anderson and the Leafs, he's more or less back to form with Carolina.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's very close...I'm going to say yes in terms of coaching, and structure.

Talent wise obviously not, but that team was freestyling we didn't have structure at all. It was pretty much we can out score you, and out skill you, because we got helle in the back.

Now we hold everyone accountable. Doesn't matter if you're Wheeler or Stenlund, or Connor you will be scolded if you're not doing work. That's the biggest difference from this coaching team that I love.

Back then Wheeler, Chef, Trouba, Buff, I like to call them the BOYZ. They would get 20+ mins every game even if they made a mistake especially the forwards. You look now, and we finally have a competent 4th line that can get 10 mins in if needed. Fyallby is a Gem.
I'd say overall talent its very close. Top end talent, the 17-18 version wins, but I think our complimentary talent is much better.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
SportsNet was finally pumping Jet tires during the first intermission of the Oiler game. They dedicated a good amount of time and analysis to it and were pretty accurate, hell actually froze over.
I am shocked to hear that and thought they actually focused on the Jets for once during the actual broadcast of the game, which is normally a love in for the team the Jets play.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ehlers had his skates and Cole had them off.
Funny you would say that, because I thought of the same thing after I made my post. Perfetti doesn't look that much shorter than Ehlers on the ice. Your probably right, that Ehlers had his skates on in that photo, and Perfetti did not. This could very well be right -- good observation.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd say overall talent its very close. Top end talent, the 17-18 version wins, but I think our complimentary talent is much better.

I actually think it's the opposite. We have better top talent now as all of Conner, Ehlers, JoMo and Helle are all much better players now then they were then. PLD as a physical force on pace for over 90 points is also better than any C sans Scheifele we had then. Mark is also back playing close to that 17-18 level as well. JoMo is having a better season than any year Buff ever had for us as well.

Where we don't compare is depth. We had two legit top pairings back in 17-18 and an impact 3rd pairing. We also had the best rendition of the Lowry third line and we had a legit second line play driving whiz driving high end results on our fourth line.

Reactions: JetsUK

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Rare night where neither the Leafs or Habs were playing so they had no choice lol.
I am shocked to hear that and thought they actually focused on the Jets for once during the actual broadcast of the game, which is normally a love in for the team the Jets play.

Even on the Pen's broadcast, their colour and play by play couldn't help but gush at how complete the Jets game was and that they are actually a good team. These guys are homers, and they're still giving the Jets their props.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I was unimpressed by the signing of Bones. Felt like yesterday's cold leftovers. But hey, I was a roiling ball of rage and dissappointment at the time! It just felt like another example of this franchise having to settle for whoever we could find that didn't have a better option on the table, and given the way the season had gone I was sorta sick of that feeling. I still think that's what it really was actually...but it's worked out pretty well anyway.
Glad to see that you're feeling better. I hope you continue to improve and your outlook on life grows more positive.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ehlers had his skates on and Cole had them off.
I'd say at least 3.5 to 4 inches taller, so I guess that makes Perfetti about 5'7 inches tall, which is quite short.
Ehlers was standing on top of Crosby because Crosby was so tired from chasing Ehlers around Crosby was lying on the ground.:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad