Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The Jets can't cave to McGroarty's demands.

If they do, then every College prospect of ours will pull the same stunt.
It's not even a stunt I don't think. It's a pretty known risk with college players. You may need to guarantee a roster spot for a guy because they'd rather stay in school than play AHL. Because if you don't, well...

Reactions: themilosh

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is just embarrassing for the franchise. Losing top prospects cause we have been poor at developing players when we are supposed to be draft and develop.

Really bad.

This organization is now in the post draft and developed era. We are in the win now, sell tickets today, sell some of tomorrow, to go for it today phase.

Last edited:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
It's not even a stunt I don't think. It's a pretty known risk with college players. You may need to guarantee a roster spot for a guy because they'd rather stay in school than play AHL. Because if you don't, well...
McGroarty might make money on NIL than playing for the Moose.

Reactions: DRW204

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
naw, I think he's going too far doom and gloom like he normally does with our prospects.. having him start in the ahl will not kill his career
The tone of the message is one thing but the facts aren't far off.

It's not about kill his career, it's about what can he do to put himself in best position.

If the Jets are planning on having him play AHL for a year...

Well, it's a business move to let them know you're not going to sign and maybe you get a trade to go play with Bedard in Chicago, or Mac and the young crew in San Jose. Or wait one more year and choose wherever you want to go.

We are so used to owning these guys rights that it's easy to forget how much leverage these NCAA prospects actually have. Philly found out too. Don't give them exactly what they want and things can turn south before you even think you did anything wrong.

This organization is now in the post draft and developed era.

We are in the win now, sell tickets today, sell some of tomorrow, to go for it today phase.
Hard to argue with this until I see otherwise. Org is in a bit of survival mode unfortunately

Reactions: ps241

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
wouldn't playing a guy in the ahl if he wasn't nhl ready be best for his development?
Agree. I’m not a fan of a prospect coming in and demanding a roster spot. Let him prove it in camp. Jets have more depth than in past years so it does make it more difficult for sure but you don’t always get what you want. Just ask PLD.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
This organization is now in the post draft and developed era. We are in the win now, sell tickets today, sell some of tomorrow, to go for it today phase.
True. Laid that bed when they committed to Scheifele and Helle.

I was prepared for a scorched earth rebuild last year. This year was surprisingly good (until it wasn't).

Cupboards are emptying, lack of draft picks, at the cap, Ehlers wanting out, top prospect wanting out...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The tone of the message is one thing but the facts aren't far off.

It's not about kill his career, it's about what can he do to put himself in best position.

If the Jets are planning on having him play AHL for a year...

Well, it's a business move to let them know you're not going to sign and maybe you get a trade to go play with Bedard in Chicago, or Mac and the young crew in San Jose. Or wait one more year and choose wherever you want to go.

We are so used to owning these guys rights that it's easy to forget how much leverage these NCAA prospects actually have. Philly found out too. Don't give them exactly what they want and things can turn south before you even think you did anything wrong.

Hard to argue with this until I see otherwise. Org is in a bit of survival mode unfortunately

Easy for me to take the long view but I don’t answer to the board that’s probably very focused on the business results.

Reactions: Flair Hay

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I was prepared for a scorched earth rebuild last year. This year was surprisingly good (until it wasn't).

Cupboards are emptying, lack of draft picks, at the cap, Ehlers wanting out, top prospect wanting out...

Many organizations live in this zone like the Jets are in now where you are kind of the 8th to 22nd best team most years, so the proverbial mushy middle where we aren’t getting great looks at the draft.

The 4th OA finish was very nice but the no show in the playoffs buzz killed things fast. We have an average prospect pool currently Depending on how the luck breaks.

I don’t see us changing course strategy wise for the next 3-5 seasons.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I’ve never felt like the Jets didn’t get value for any trade of a young player or prospect. Trouba was maybe the only guy I wasn’t really pleased with the return, but he wasn’t going to sign.

If McGroarty isn’t going to sign, then I trust Chevy will find a deal partner and value for a coveted young guy.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Anyone expecting a scorched earth rebuild here hasn't been paying attention to the business side of the team at all.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016

While I agree with that, I don’t think that not giving Rutger an early opportunity to play meaningful minutes necessarily makes the team better. I don’t think he’s the piece you’d want to move or not take a chance on, so-to-speak. Or perhaps more importantly: I’m not convinced that this unfortunate situation - which seems likely to end up in Rutger being traded - is going to help the ticket sales. I think the majority of the fan base is unhappy with this development. I’m a season ticket holder and my “moral” vis-a-vis the team hasn’t gotten better after today, let’s just put it that way.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
While I agree with that, I don’t think that not giving Rutger an early opportunity to play meaningful minutes necessarily makes the team better. I don’t think he’s the piece you’d want to move or not take a chance on, so-to-speak. Or perhaps more importantly: I’m not convinced that this unfortunate situation - which seems likely to end up in Rutger being traded - is going to help the ticket sales. I think the majority of the fan base is unhappy with this development. I’m a season ticket holder and my “moral” vis-a-vis the team hasn’t gotten better after today, let’s just put it that way.
The majority of the fan base can't remember who Rutger McGroarty is...

Reactions: Duke749

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Mine either.

This is a player I was really looking forward to watching compete for us. I will wait to see what materializes from the trade before I render judgement. Certainly not an easy situation for Chevy.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Mine either.

This is a player I was really looking forward to watching compete for us. I will wait to see what materializes from the trade before I render judgement. Certainly not an easy situation for Chevy.
It’s shitty since the club did everything right, in their eyes, except gifting him a top 6 role.

They kept close ties with him, watching his development closely, and were excited with what he could become for them. Including being a team leader in the future.

Now, most players would want to compete for a roster spot, to know they’ve earned their position, and being on an ELC would be advantageous for the Jets. Both parties would like him in the NHL so there should be alignment between player and team.

Something doesn’t seem to be lining up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad