Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Thats it, Panthers open the month with a loss, are now 2 L under .500 and spend 9 of their next 11 games on the road against good teams.

Meaning that even if they play for .500 in that stretch, its going to be mathematically almost impossible to make the playoffs at that point. A broken team without that motivation to make the playoffs can really struggle for the reminder of the calendar, it could get really ugly for them.
Florida should just follow the Chicago model, and empty the cupboards. Why wait???

It’s a deep draft. 🙂

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Who can we get at pick 5?

You sure? We just picked First Overall and we're not more fun.
At 5, Reinbacher or Smith for me. but you will need to be patient, only generational players can come in after their draft year and have an immediate impact at the NHL level. It takes at least 2-3 yrs for most top 5 picks to start impacting the game.

Last edited:

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
From this article:
Quick Shifts: Meet the 2022 All-Healthy Scratch Squad

10. We’re calling it.

The Florida Panthers — defending Presidents’ Trophy champs — are not making the playoffs.

Fumbling around with a 16-16-4 record and a .500 points percentage, the Cats must leap four clubs to snatch a wild-card spot.

Worse: GM Bill Zito spent so much draft capital chasing a deep run last spring that Florida is at risk of sucking away all the momentum it had gained from a wonderful 2021-22 campaign.

The Panthers’ first-overall choice in 2023 was traded to the Montreal Canadiens for 30 games of Ben Chiarot.

The. Pick. Was. Not. Lottery. Protected.

Particularly when considering the blue chippers available in this June’s draft, we may look back at Zito’s gamble as a franchise-altering misstep.

Having expended its ’23, ’24 and ’25 first-rounders, its ’24 second-rounder and its ’23 third-rounder, Florida must hit on late picks or risk empty cupboards.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Sharks won
Senators won
Florida lost

We are looking great at hopefully finishing 4th last. Good evening for the tank. Chicago is gonna be dead last for sure but I believe in our odds and theirs to lose the 1st pick. Purposefully tanking like them is gonna bring bad Karma.

If we end up 4th; assuming the picks go Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson - we BETTER take Michkov 4th. The wait would be worth it.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
This looks really good on Matthew Tkachuk for orchestrating his way out of Calgary. It also looks good on Florida for trading Weegar and Huberdeau after the latter's record breaking season.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Florida would have to go something like 28-12-4 to get 60 more points in their remaining 44 games with one of the toughest schedules. That's a ~112 point pace and that would only get them to 96 points, which might not be enough for the second wildcard.

Do your thing Paul Maurice, we need it. :thumbu:
They’re definitely good enough to do that so I’m not getting too excited

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
This looks really good on Matthew Tkachuk for orchestrating his way out of Calgary. It also looks good on Florida for trading Weegar and Huberdeau after the latter's record breaking season.
You think Gerard gallant is not motivated to sink the panthers as well ?? Lol

Don't confuse last year's Panthers with this year's. They are significantly worse and their coach stinks.
They have sly on their staff …. Then man I called the worst coach ever for the habs ,till that fool dumb Ducharme came along !

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
If we end up 4th; assuming the picks go Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson - we BETTER take Michkov 4th. The wait would be worth it.
This year would actually be worthwhile if we landed Michkov, but I suspect that he's going third, and, in ten years, the number two team will regret not picking him over Fantilli.

Reactions: 26Mats

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Don't confuse last year's Panthers with this year's. They are significantly worse and their coach stinks.
They still have better players than 90% of the league and coaches are given too much credit. I keep hearing interviews with ex players who say they’re overrated

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Could be the rare both-sides-come-out-worse-for-it trade but (I'm shooting from the hip here) I feel Florida is in a better position going forward if it wasn't for their dearth of 1st round picks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hard not to like that no matter how it falls.

Even at 11, 13 you get your hands on two legit prospects.

Or you package them to get into the top-7 to get a guy you really want

Packing picks to move to 7 is hopeful. Possible but not likely. But yeah, we are tracking to top 10 picks. Our pick will be top 10 from what we see today and the Panthers pick will be a fringe top 10. Could be 8-12 range ish.

Reactions: ElQuebecois

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They still have better players than 90% of the league and coaches are given too much credit. I keep hearing interviews with ex players who say they’re overrated

Having the right coach for the right team is important. Look at the Jets this year? You keep hearing interviews where ex players say it's overrated? Overrated to what degree? If someone says it's a factor, how do you know how much of a factor?

Star players don't win games as a team. This is not the NBA. Star players are important yes but so is the team. Team D, Goaltending, PP, PK, 5/5, Injuries, Coaching.

The main point? Everything matters and it all adds up. Panthers are not the same team as last season. Spin this as you wish and focus on the one context... coaching. That's a spin off argument where you overlook the main point.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Could be the rare both-sides-come-out-worse-for-it trade but (I'm shooting from the hip here) I feel Florida is in a better position going forward if it wasn't for their dearth of 1st round picks.
Oh yes. Florida still has a lot of strong players in the early stages of their prime. In Calgary they're mostly in the later years of their prime. Florida's simply having one of those seasons which can easily happen to a team in the ultra-competitive NHL if your focus or hunger is a tad bit off. I hope it continues!

Reactions: ReHabs

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh yes. Florida still has a lot of strong players in the early stages of their prime. In Calgary they're mostly in the later years of their prime. Florida's simply having one of those seasons which can easily happen to a team in the ultra-competitive NHL if your focus or hunger is a tad bit off. I hope it continues!

They looked completely lost and dejected at 5-3

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
FLA fans must be hate-reading this thread and cursing us.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
good thing about FLA is that like I predicted Tkachuk wouldnt be able to keep up his insane early season production. As a result, the Panthers are struggling a lot more and have had to rely on their putrid bottom 6 for scoring, which it has to a certain extent.

At this point, its gonna be on Barkov to get going for them to get any hope. If he gets going, then MK can also start producing at the early season pace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad