Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
good thing about FLA is that like I predicted Tkachuk wouldnt be able to keep up his insane early season production. As a result, the Panthers are struggling a lot more and have had to rely on their putrid bottom 6 for scoring, which it has to a certain extent.

At this point, its gonna be on Barkov to get going for them to get any hope. If he gets going, then MK can also start producing at the early season pace

Huberdeau is also coming around for Calgary. After getting only 5 pts in his first 10 games for them, he's put up 20 pts in last 25 gp. Won't be surprised if that trend continues to ppg in second half.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How about I take my listening to the actual players which are facts. You’re straw manning it. Johnny Hockey said in an interview in the summer that coaches may have little adjustments but at the end of the day it’s up to the player. Aka players know how to play every system they’re NHL players lol coaches aren’t that important. He said playing for Sutter was great and he was straight forward which he liked. You can like playing for a coach and young players love the pre game speeches (vets have heard all the cliche speeches and roll their eyes according to Ferraro). When a new coach comes players want to be on the new coaches good side so they have a spark. Look at Montreal it’s a perfect example. When MSL took over the team was absolutely deadly and started winning games as it’s a new chapter and excitement. Then at the end of the year you’d think Ducharme is back. Same with this year. Coaches can say we are going to play a a 2-3-2 or a diamond on the power play. Build confidence in players or destroy them. That’s all the do. LITERALLY.

Coaching does matter. All the power to you if you think it don't. Someone like Cooper knows how to manage Tampa well and Jets are doing much better with their new coach.

You're focused on the players when the main point is team accomplishments. That's what the Coach's job is. To get the best out of the team and assets he has.

Reply if you wish but the coaching side debate is over with me. You said Coaching is overrated and your narrative is it don't matter at all. Truth is in the middle but you can carry on your narrow minded approach

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Loss of secondary scoring in Duclair and Marchment is also a bit underrated

They overachieved last season and are underachieving this season (at the moment). The Atlantic and Metro are strong divisions. Panthers are in that bubble playoff mix and have dug a hole that will be difficult to get out of. Other teams have improved and Panthers are in tough to move up the standings. I expect them to move up a bit but it's tracking a pick from 8-12 range (pre lottery). Prior to this season, I had them potentially returning a pick from the 10-16 range or 10-20 range. The hole they dug moved them down from that.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Florida would have to go something like 28-12-4 to get 60 more points in their remaining 44 games with one of the toughest schedules. That's a ~112 point pace and that would only get them to 96 points, which might not be enough for the second wildcard.

Do your thing Paul Maurice, we need it. :thumbu:

They are 7-12-3 in their last 22 games, so going 28-12-4 in their remaining games would be quite the improvement. Even then I don’t think it’s enough, as you stated. I could see the 8th place team in the East having 99-100 points this season.

_vivelequebec_

Mar 5, 2007
Montréal
No way I trade 2 top 10 for 2nd overall, or a top 10 pick for Lafrenière. He’s RFA this summer, we currently try to get rid of bad contracts. We also drafted very well in the last few years, I really trust our scouting and it’s a golden generation.

I like the plan of holding something like 4-8-36 + hopefully a late 1st for Monahan + having a decent chance at Dubois summer 2024.

We already have nice prospects pool, good coaching staff, good management, and a farm system with Laval and Trois-Rivières that keeps getting better.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Coaching does matter. All the power to you if you think it don't. Someone like Cooper knows how to manage Tampa well and Jets are doing much better with their new coach.

You're focused on the players when the main point is team accomplishments. That's what the Coach's job is. To get the best out of the team and assets he has.

Reply if you wish but the coaching side debate is over with me. You said Coaching is overrated and your narrative is it don't matter at all. Truth is in the middle but you can carry on your narrow minded approach
Cooper has an all star team. My dog could win cups by barking on the bench.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
The last few pages of the Panthers' most recent game thread is recommended reading :laugh:

View attachment 629272
Great, Panthers fans leaving the building. This should allow for even more snowbirds to attend their games. No matter who the Panthers are playing against, they should all wear Habs jersey and yell « We want Bedard » :laugh:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
They overachieved last season and are underachieving this season (at the moment). The Atlantic and Metro are strong divisions. Panthers are in that bubble playoff mix and have dug a hole that will be difficult to get out of. Other teams have improved and Panthers are in tough to move up the standings. I expect them to move up a bit but it's tracking a pick from 8-12 range (pre lottery). Prior to this season, I had them potentially returning a pick from the 10-16 range or 10-20 range. The hole they dug moved them down from that.
I don’t think they were ever in a position to trade a Top-4 defenceman like Weegar when their goaltending was a question mark. Bobrovsky isn’t good and Knight is too young. Ekblad and Forsling are great. But after that you have Montour (all offence) and a bunch of nobodies. They are another Ekblad injury away from being in the basement.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think they were ever in a position to trade a Top-4 defenceman like Weegar when their goaltending was a question mark. Bobrovsky isn’t good and Knight is too young. Ekblad and Forsling are great. But after that you have Montour (all offence) and a bunch of nobodies. They are another Ekblad injury away from being in the basement.

Agreed. The other angle to this is I think the bottom 4 teams in both the Atlantic and Metro have improved. Panthers have a good team but not a great team. They did well in the last two seasons but that has a lot to do with the Islanders, Blue Jackets, Devils, Flyers, Sabres, Wings, Sens, and Habs not being good teams. This season, the Atlantic and Metro are even tougher with teams like the Devils, Islanders, Wings, Sabres, and Sens being better.

There is a lot of context we can dig up on this. Most thought the Panthers were overachieving and it's showing this season.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
A lopsided trade and substantial loss of talent can gut a team. I think that they overpaid for Tkachuk and upended their chemistry. They also let Marchment go and lost Duclair to injury, not to mention the players obtained at the trade deadline. It's a very different team now, which lost its swagger.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A lopsided trade and substantial loss of talent can gut a team. I think that they overpaid for Tkachuk and upended their chemistry. They also let Marchment go and lost Duclair to injury, not to mention the players obtained at the trade deadline. It's a very different team now, which lost its swagger.

One of the strength to their regular season success was their PP. 24.4% last season and 19.3% this season. Huberdeau was a great puck manager for them IMO. Tkachuk is a great player but he's a different type of winger.

Panthers sucked in the playoffs last year and their PP was dead last at 3.2%. Go figure. Panthers won a lot of hockey games last regular season with their deadly PP and failed to win games in the playoffs when their PP sucked.

Lazytrout

Dec 8, 2021
I wonder if Florida selling at the deadline is starting to look like a possibility? If they keep that pace at one point they have to try and at least get some picks/asset back I think. Obviously they are not there yet as anything can still happen but they are no where near a wild card spot at the moment.

Habs may need to build a statue of Chiarot when all is said and done. :oops:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I wonder if Florida selling at the deadline is starting to look like a possibility? If they keep that pace at one point they have to try and at least get some picks/asset back I think. Obviously they are not there yet as anything can still happen but they are no where near a wild card spot at the moment.

Habs may need to build a statue of Chiarot when all is said and done. :oops:

It's more than a possibility. It's a certainty unless they have a major turnaround in the next 20 games.

Reactions: Lazytrout

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That would solidify the top 6 that's for sure. Yager seems to be turning the corner at center, I'm quietly confident he can play there in the NHL - he has the IQ, speed and defence.

I love Sale, but I think we would go for Will Smith if only for positional balance (RW) in this case (if given the opportunity).

Caufield - Suzuki - Smith
Slaf - Yager - Mesar

I'm going off my list so we would miss Smith by virtue of him going at #5.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I still like the trade for them, despite their lack of success so far. Tkachuk is easily the best player in the deal. It just looks horrible because of the pick they gave up for Chiarot. And like you said, the loss of Marchment was a big hit. He was nearly a PPG and is only 27. You have to make room for a guy like that.

I guess we can pinpoint the start of their downfall to the contract given to Bobrovsky. They would have been far better off going with a guy like Varlamov ($5m per year to the Avs that summer).

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I still like the trade for them, despite their lack of success so far. Tkachuk is easily the best player in the deal. It just looks horrible because of the pick they gave up for Chiarot. And like you said, the loss of Marchment was a big hit. He was nearly a PPG and is only 27. You have to make room for a guy like that.

I guess we can pinpoint the start of their downfall to the contract given to Bobrovsky. They would have been far better off going with a guy like Varlamov ($5m per year to the Avs that summer).
They could have buried Bobrovsky as backup to Knight, if they still had Weegar and improved their defense incrementally. Zito had a string of good decisions until the trade deadline overreaches and the swap with the Flames. After all, I view (Marchment + Huberdeau) as superior to Tkachuk, let alone the former two plus Weegar. The Bobrovsky wart looks worse now than it did last year; there is hair growing out of it now.
1672686315926.png

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I want to say I have almost forgiven Eric Staal for injuring Markov--after the finals run and now tanking Florida's season.

Never!

Never forget. It was a dick move, it looked almost intentional.

Panthers may fire Maurice and go on a little run.

They should pop the Zit while they're at it.

Several terrible decisons.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Build a statue of Hughes and Gorton outside the Bell Centre if they turn Chiarot into Bedard.

Pffff, I'm thinking Rio De Janeiro type Jesus statue on top of mount royal.

Get rid of that old ugly cross while we're at it.

I watched the game and Halak was very good, and made some outstanding saves.

It's a shame he's getting too old to bring back for our future runs

Reactions: OldCraig71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad