Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I went on the Panthers forum, and it must be taboo to talk about their first round pick lol, no mention if it.
They mention it in the GDT involving the Habs. They weren’t happy about some of our fans who are apparently being obnoxious about how the FLA pick could turn into Bedard.

This may well be the last time we see an unprotected first round pick change hands.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
They mention it in the GDT involving the Habs. They weren’t happy about some of our fans who are apparently being obnoxious about how the FLA pick could turn into Bedard.

This may well be the last time we see an unprotected first round pick change hands.
No other teams will ever do that.

Reactions: DAChampion

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Zito may have put the final nail on the Panthers coffin, soon 15 millions on goalie, their best D always injured, no sign of prospect / young guys outside their pro team to help them next year, they have lost their balance in the top 6 Huberdeau and Barkov we’re able to carry offense on 2 different line, now Barkov play with Tkachuk and Bennett Reinhart etc have regressed

We also have their first and OTT the year after, they are toast…

Edit i hope they make the playoff but just next year ;)

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Zito may have put the final nail on the Panthers coffin, soon 15 millions on goalie, their best D always injured, no sign of prospect / young guys outside their pro team to help them next year, they have lost their balance in the top 6 Huberdeau and Barkov we’re able to carry offense on 2 different line, now Barkov play with Tkachuk and Bennett Reinhart etc have regressed

We also have their first and OTT the year after, they are toast…

Edit i hope they make the playoff but just next year ;)
Yeah, just next year.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 60M/yr scam artist, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
I went on the Panthers forum, and it must be taboo to talk about their first round pick lol, no mention of it.

Imagine Bedard and Caufield on the powerplay.
If the situation was reversed it's the only thing we'd be talking about in here and with good reason.

The Chiarot trade is a fireable offense by itself, hiring a prehistoric, washed up loser coach like Maurice is another one yet they're still acting like their GM is one of the best in the business over there. I don't even know if they understand what they're watching.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I thought the same thing after Ottawa drafted Stutzle, but here we are. I know Bedard would be a much bigger catch, still, it's not far off.

Teams that want to compete will end-up paying no matter what. Get a good bidding war going and logic will fly out the window fast.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
If the situation was reversed it's the only thing we'd be talking about in here and with good reason.

The Chiarot trade is a fireable offense by itself, hiring a prehistoric, washed up loser coach like Maurice is another one yet they're still acting like their GM is one of the best in the business over there. I don't even know if they understand what they're watching.

Imo, they're 50/50 on Zito. Seen many of them complain about his bad moves and put the onus of this bad situation on him.

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
So this could happen…
194B7270-AD31-4E15-9BE2-2E97FAC2CD80.png

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Yup, hope our fans dint gloat.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Meh. GMs don’t read fans opinions.

And their contracts aren’t that long… it’s like politicians, they don’t care long term, they’re just trying to win before they get fired.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Right now Florida pick is 9th. But Canucks are only point behind with 2 games in hand. Good chance that pick is 8th. Unbelievable!!
Yes, but the Blues are 1 point ahead with Tarasenko out for 4 weeks and ROR out for 6 weeks. Good chance that short term that pick stays put at 9 with Vancouver and St. Louis swapping spots.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If the Panthers pick ends up the 10th pick, would you trade that straight up for Lafreniere? Rangers can ask for the 10th pick and a top end player all they want. Nobody offers it.

Imagine the forward core turnaround after these outcomes...
* Panthers pick for Lafreneire and MLS gets him to produce like he was expected to
* Habs win the draft lottery (Bedard)
* Dubois as a UFA signing in 2024
How does MON convince Dubois to sign with them while they have Bedard and Suzuki as Cs on the depth chart?

Either Dubois accepts playing wing in the top-6, or Montreal asks Bedard to play wing because he is smaller for the job of pivot?

Lafrenière - Dubois - Bedard
Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
Slafkovsky - Beck - Mesar

There'd still be Farrell, Roy and Heineman, amongst others, to slot into the lineup somewhere and Gallagher, Dvorak, Anderson and Armia to get rid of, at some point...

Montreal would be forced to make some jarring, painful choices along the way.

That top-9 would also become quickly unaffordable if you are also looking to have premiere PMDs...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
No way I trade 2 top 10 for 2nd overall, or a top 10 pick for Lafrenière. He’s RFA this summer, we currently try to get rid of bad contracts. We also drafted very well in the last few years, I really trust our scouting and it’s a golden generation.

I like the plan of holding something like 4-8-36 + hopefully a late 1st for Monahan + having a decent chance at Dubois summer 2024.

We already have nice prospects pool, good coaching staff, good management, and a farm system with Laval and Trois-Rivières that keeps getting better.
Hopefully, Michkov (sp?) doesn't drop and we can get Carlson with that #4, plus Dvorsky with that #8. The other first round pick hopefully gets us a talented RHD, as does our 2nd round pick

Caufield (7. 875M X 7) - Suzuki (7.875M X 6) - Dach (3.363M X 2)
Dubois (7.875M X 7) - Carlsson (ELC X 3) - Roy - (ELC X 3)
Slafkovsky (Bridge contract?) - Dvorsky (ELC X 3) - Mesar (ELC X 3)
Farrell (ELC) - Beck (ELC X 2) - Heineman (ELC X 1)

The D will be the problem because it won't be good fast enough to maximize the time we can keep that forward group together.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Hopefully, Michkov (sp?) doesn't drop and we can get Carlson with that #4, plus Dvorsky with that #8. The other first round pick hopefully gets us a talented RHD, as does our 2nd round pick

Caufield (7. 875M X 7) - Suzuki (7.875M X 6) - Dach (3.363M X 2)
Dubois (7.875M X 7) - Carlsson (ELC X 3) - Roy - (ELC X 3)
Slafkovsky (Bridge contract?) - Dvorsky (ELC X 3) - Mesar (ELC X 3)
Farrell (ELC) - Beck (ELC X 2) - Heineman (ELC X 1)

The D will be the problem because it won't be good fast enough to maximize the time we can keep that forward group together.
Top 4 is fairly cemented at Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson and Michkov. If Michkov is there at 4 you take him no matter what. It also likely means Carlsson is gone.

Maybe Smith jumps into that top 4 though. He seems like an Arizona kind of pick. Lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How does MON convince Dubois to sign with them while they have Bedard and Suzuki as Cs on the depth chart?

Either Dubois accepts playing wing in the top-6, or Montreal asks Bedard to play wing because he is smaller for the job of pivot?

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach

There'd still be Farrell, Roy and Heineman, amongst others, to slot into the lineup somewhere and Gallagher, Dvorak, Anderson and Armia to get rid of, at some point...

That top-9 would also become quickly unaffordable if you are also looking to have premiere PMDs...

Cross that bridge when you get there. A problem I would love to have bud.

Dubois signs regardless. Who wouldn't want to play with talent like that.

I can go on about what kind of things we can do if we end up with those players but I'll avoid the gullible drooling for now :laugh:

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
That's false and exaggeration. Exaggeration narratives don't provide conversation value.
While you dodge half of what I’m saying when I provide direct quotes from players as you side pundits who can’t even skate. The fact that me saying a dog could coach the lighting and how serious you took it is pretty funny. You don’t think I know it’s exaggerated? lmao.

I’ve given you evidence while you’re going by feeling. Coaches can lose games but they can’t score. Coaches can match up lines but can’t score. It’s a legit fact that a lot of teams with new coaches play better yes….what happens a month or two later? Back to reality just like MSL. That’s because coaches hardly matter and the reason why they’re fired at an alarming rate so the GM can cover his own ass because he knows they’re replaceable. Everyone wants burrows to be fired. Why? How many power play strategies does he need to roll out there before there’s none left? Burrows can’t go out there and score as he’s not the issue. It’s our horrible team. All a head coach can do is maybe help out with the mental aspect of how to approach a game which lasts 5 seconds once a player is on the ice because who thinks of a speech while you’re on a two on one? Matching lines is all they can do it’s quite simple

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I admit my vibe may be a little on the irrational side, but I am not feeling good about Lafreniere as a prospect. If the Habs deal that Florida pick, I would much rather see it be moved for more of a sure thing like PLD.

I didn't mind the Romanov - Dach deal that much. While I liked Romanov, I thought his offensive upside was more limited. He reminded me more of Emelin, which is not meant as a knock on him. After the team passed on the two centers with the #1 overall pick, the deal made some sense. It showed me that Hughes/Gorton at least had a plan, which is something I never thought Bergevin had.

The other angle is offering Anderson with retention down to $4M for Lafreniere. Rangers will not laugh at this and they do need RW depth in their top 9. Anderson is a piece they would value for the playoffs and they would have a feel on the trade market for Lafreniere.

Anderson at $4M prorated for the rest of this season and 4 more seasons. Value contract for a 20+ goal guy who plays an effective playoff style game.
vs
Lafreniere who is a former #1 OA but has not shown much in his 3 year ELC from age 19-21.

Habs can easily offer a sweetener if the Rangers feel we are close. Maybe someone like Struble or Tuch.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach

Dubois is the one who wants to sign here by the rumors.. and PLD has played LW a lot on CBJ and WPG. Doubt he cares.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Dubois is the one who wants to sign here by the rumors.. and PLD has played LW a lot on CBJ and WPG. Doubt he cares.
He apparently didn't like playing wing on those teams. He was basically sulking in WPG when he got there and they put him on the wing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I was shocked when I learned the Chiarot 1st was unprotected. I'd love to know what other teams were in on Chiarot and how Gorton/Hughes got the unprotected 1st. Probably said another team is offering a better 1st and they only way you get Chiarot is if you give your 1st unprotected. I'm guessing but that's how I think that played out.

Even trading a 1st with protection can back fire. Ask both the Sens and Sharks.

All we know today is the Panthers pick won't be 20+ and it's likely to be 8-12 or 10-16 range. Something like that. If it wins the lottery, Habs will be hated even more :laugh:

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad