Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Panthers 1st to the Panthers is like their ex wife... You can't help but pay attention to what they are doing and who the become without you in the picture but you are still paying spousal support. :laugh:

If we don't get Bedard and we get Michkov, we're in good hands, i like Michkov almost as much as Bedard, Michkov is just not followed as much.

Michkov might have the same skill/skating but he's light man. Very light in weight. Bedard has the inside track on being a star in the NHL. He's got good weight and should top out around 200 lbs. Michkov has a long way to go and the KHL is not a physically tough league.

I like Michkov but not as much as Bedard. I'd be happy if we land Michkov though. Totally fine with him coming to the NHL at age 21. Could be a Kaprisov gem coming in their prime.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Did you know when the sharks acquired Erik Karlsson and gone all in for the cup they started the season with 16-20-2 record only 2 points worse than the Panthers now (16-18-4).

Both teams gave up an unprotected first
Both teams expected to compete for the cup
Both teams riding old cores

Both teams sucking real hard with no passion in their game.

Deja Vue? History repeating itself ?

Seems like it. Sjs finished 4th to last that season with 63 points in 70 games for a .450 point %. Panthers are at .474

Ott drafted a superstar in the making in Stutzle.

Now it's our turn to draft a superstar from another team's pick

Montour is 28
Barkov, Reinhart and Verhaeghe are 27
Ekblad, Bennett and Forsling are 26
Tkachuk is 25

You can criticize Florida's decision to basically trade all their 1st until 2026, and misplaced expectations, but they don't have an old core and one of the reasons they're worse this year is because they wanted to specifically address their aging core issues.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Panthers 1st to the Panthers is like their ex girlfriend... You can't help but pay attention to what they are doing and who the become without you in the picture. :laugh:

Michkov might have the same skill/skating but he's light man. Very light in weight. Bedard has the inside track on being a star in the NHL. He's got good weight and should top out around 200 lbs. Michkov has a long way to go and the KHL is not a physically tough league.

I like Michkov but not as much as Bedard. I'd be happy if we land Michkov though. Totally fine with him coming to the NHL at age 21. Could be a Kaprisov gem coming in their prime.
But with Russia hidding everything, do we really know his real weight now? he could be 170.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Montour is 28
Tkachuk is 25

You can criticize Florida's decision to basically trade all their 1st until 2026, and misplaced expectations, but they don't have an old core and one of the reasons they're worse this year is because they wanted to specifically address their aging core issues.

Let's remember that the Yandle Buyout is affecting their cap situation too (5.4 M $ this year) + last year of Scott Darling buyout (around 1.2 M$). With their dead cap hit coming down from 6.6 M$ to 1.2 M$ next year and getting out of Hornquist contract (5.4 M$), they may be able to get a better defenseman next year. We're really lucky to have their first in what may be one of their two retooling years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montour is 28
Tkachuk is 25

Good points but you can criticize them for trading an unprotected 1st though.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I doubt it as well but it's a possible way to get Lafreniere. Rangers will ponder about Anderson at $4M. It's a good approach IMO. They do need RW help and his style of play is something they would value for the playoffs.

* Retain on Monahan and it expires this season
* Retain on Eddy and that expires after next season.
* Possible that we have two contracts retained for next year. Eddy for a full season and then Hoffman possibly at the 24 deadline. If you add Anderson, that makes 3 but then it expires after next season and then its only Anderson.

Who else would the retention spots be used on? Why is it a bad idea to get better futures return advantage by retaining? Eddy and Anderson would return a lot if we retain. I don't see the problem and it don't hurt our cap space for adding pieces like Dubois or Klingberg (for example).
You don't need to convince me -- you need to convince Hughes. ;)

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Height: 5'9". Weight: 185 lbs. 2015

Makes me wonder where Michkov tops out at. Regardless, he is a dynamic winger with very good skating/skill.

You don't need to convince me -- you need to convince Hughes. ;)

Hughes will consider it but last option. For all we know, Hughes offered Anderson with retention for Lafreniere and the Rangers declined.

Cost to retain depends on the return. They go hand and hand.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Let's remember that the Yandle Buyout is affecting their cap situation too (5.4 M $ this year) + last year of Scott Darling buyout (around 1.2 M$). With their dead cap hit coming down from 6.6 M$ to 1.2 M$ next year and getting out of Hornquist contract (5.4 M$), they may be able to get a better defenseman next year. We're really lucky to have their first in what may be one of their two retooling years.

We're lucky that they traded their 2023 1st before the Tkachuk trade. They'd be a better team this year with Weegar and Huberdeau than with just Tkachuk, even if Tkachuk is, by a large margin, the better long term play. It feels like Hughes took advantage of some tunnel vision from the Panthers at the deadline. There's no reason he should have gotten an unprotected future pick for a rental, let alone one of Chiarot's caliber.

Reactions: Revansky and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We're lucky that they traded their 2023 1st before the Tkachuk trade. They'd be a better team this year with Weegar and Huberdeau than with just Tkachuk, even if Tkachuk is, by a large margin, the better long term play. It feels like Hughes took advantage of some tunnel vision from the Panthers at the deadline. There's no reason he should have gotten an unprotected future pick for a rental, let alone one of Chiarot's caliber.
The man has a plan, and a brain........dangerous combination. Hughes, also had some help from Gorton.
Something we lacked the last ten years, smart hockey people.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
An Arizona win would be a thing of pure beauty! Especially with a Habs loss.

It's the game of the night in my opinion! It's a true swing game along with the Montreal game.

If we lose to Nashville & Arizona wins, Coyotes pass us & Nashville moves 2 pts up on Florida while still holding 3 games in hand.

It also gives Vancouver 3 games in hand to make up 1 pt. Canucks play at home vs NYI tonight for their 1st attempt at it, and also gives Philadelphia a game in hand to make up 1 pt.

Big night to finish #5 & #8.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
2-1. Hopefully Arizona kicks their ass. And Nashville also serves the Habs a whoop ass!

#TankHard4Bedard

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Sucks they couldn't lose that one to Arizona but we had some favorable results around the league so it doesn't look like they will make up any ground.

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
Panthers losing 4-1

200w.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad