Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
We gonna end up picking 1 and 4.

Bedard and Mishkov, come on down!

Later in life:

Slaf - Bedard - Mishkov
PLD - Suzuki - Caufield

Two 40 goal scorers on the top 6.

This is the way!

• Haha
Reactions: dinodebino

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013

Later in life:

Slaf - Bedard - Mishkov
PLD - Suzuki - Caufield

This is the way!

Two 40 goal scorers on the top 6? Who's gonna loose a arm between Bedard, Michkov and Caufield to achieve that?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Have to wonder if they reach their point of no return on making the playoffs, if they sell off and collapse even further.
They have nothing to sell outside of Hornqvist and Gudas. Hornqvist is a negative for the team so if they find someone it's not gonna make them worse it's going to make them better. Gudas out wont moove any needle. They have 3 very good young players aged between 24 and 26 with a decent supporting cast. No reason to sell anything. They'll have some cap space next summer with Hornqvist and Gudas contracts expiring. What they have to do if find a way to trade Bobrovski. That should be number 1 priority ...

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
The issue with the premise of florida selling is who would they really sell? Their pending UFAs don’t look worth much (colin white, staals, radko gudas). To recover a first round pick they would have to move someone with term which is likely better done in the off season.

Reactions: salbutera

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

Later in life:

Slaf - Bedard - Mishkov
PLD - Suzuki - Caufield

This is the way!

With 2 top picks you're going to let the big 6.3 Center from Sweden out? Thats ballsy

Reactions: ElQuebecois

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
Have to wonder if they reach their point of no return on making the playoffs, if they sell off and collapse even further.

"If they sell off" : Zito paint himself in a corner and all he can do if he wants saving what they can is trading Hornqvist and Gudas at the TDL and the return will be OK at best, nothing too change the situation!

"Collapse even further" : I bet on that because they have difficulty to performing with a playoff hope what they gonna do without it and like Vegas a couple years ago they seem to have lost their "souls" in the quest to try to win in moving too much assets too fast! If they can play .500 hockey for another month they will hit the breaking point because from now they need 28-12-1 to finish with 97 points, if it's enough, and still hoping for a playoff spot!

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
3rd best chance in the league…..that’s better then 4th through 32nd.

My guess is we are (Habs pick) gonna finish more likely 4th last with a good chance at 3rd.

Combine that with the FLA pick and we’ll probably have the 2nd best odds

The odds are still very small.

If you buy a lottery ticket and I buy two, I have the best chance of winning the jackpot. My odds are still a long shot.

Reactions: jaffy27

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Combined with their pick, we currently have like a 12 percent shot at number one.

Imagine…
When I read this, I read it as we have an 88% chance of not picking number one. It would be amazing if we won, but anybody expecting it is very likely going to be disappointed.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The odds are still very small.

If you buy a lottery ticket and I buy two, I have the best chance of winning the jackpot. My odds are still a long shot.
They’re a long shot for everyone, 29 teams behind us have even a lesser chance of winning, if they’re bad for us, imagine how slim it is for them!!

Don’t know about you, but I’d easily drop 1000$ to win a Million if I had the 3rd best odds!!

When I read this, I read it as we have an 88% chance of not picking number one. It would be amazing if we won, but anybody expecting it is very likely going to be disappointed.
The 29 teams behind us have a 90% to 100% chance of losing it.

Rather be in our shoes then theirs

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
"If they sell off" : Zito paint himself in a corner and all he can do if he wants saving what they can is trading Hornqvist and Gudas at the TDL and the return will be OK at best, nothing too change the situation!

"Collapse even further" : I bet on that because they have difficulty to performing with a playoff hope what they gonna do without it and like Vegas a couple years ago they seem to have lost their "souls" in the quest to try to win in moving too much assets too fast! If they can play .500 hockey for another month they will hit the breaking point because from now they need 28-12-1 to finish with 97 points, if it's enough, and still hoping for a playoff spot!
They can sell Reinhart and Gudas. I don't think that Hörnqvist trade is possible.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
imagine Hughes was a tad bid smarter and traded Anderson to a team like COL or CGY (who both expected to compete for the cup) ang acquired another unprotected first

We would have had 3 picks to follow

the more the merrier

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The only time coaching matters is when you have a really bad one. A Michel Therrien for example, can set a franchise back a decade.

A bad Coach can cause issues. I remember when both the Blue Jays and Habs brought back Therrien and Gibson (around the same time I believe) and I was like WTF? Why? That was the first move that Bergevin made that left me wondering.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
They can sell Reinhart and Gudas. I don't think that Hörnqvist trade is possible.

For Hornqvist maybe a last run with the Pens if the interest is there but it will be very hard to move him.

I don't see Florida moving Reinhart. They will have some very good assets if they do that but they will never have someone impactful like he is, a trade they can only loose in short term, and he is a big part of this team, if they moving him without really having the prospect or pick to replace him I think they put Florida far away to winning something than now and not looking good for the future.

They have already close to no depth at the moment and moving Reinhart can do more damage than good thing and if they pull the trigger now I will see that like a panic move more than something else! Next year it will be a different story but they gonna give another year at the core and see what they can do before thinking moving or resigning Reinhart.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
For Hornqvist maybe a last run with the Pens if the interest is there but it will be very hard to move him.

I don't see Florida moving Reinhart. They will have some very good assets if they do that but they will never have someone impactful like he is, a trade they can only loose in short term, and he is a big part of this team, if they moving him without really having the prospect or pick to replace him I think they put Florida far away to winning something than now and not looking good for the future.

They have already close to no depth at the moment and moving Reinhart can do more damage than good thing and if they pull the trigger now I will see that like a panic move more than something else! Next year it will be a different story but they gonna give another year at the core and see what they can do before thinking moving or resigning Reinhart.
The rationale on trading Reinhart is too much cap tied up in forward and not enough on the defense

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
The rationale on trading Reinhart is too much cap tied up in forward and not enough on the defense

They need to work on their defense and putting some money there. Ekblad is injury prone, Gudas is Gudas, Forsling & Mahura a waiver cinderella story X2, Montour have a breakout year but he will slow down sooner than later, M. Staal is the last man to have see a Velociraptor alive and they have no depth at all ...

I understand your point but I didn't see Reinhart, a PPG player at 6,5m like a problem at all for the cap. He produce more alone or close than Hoffman, Gallagher, Anderson, Dadonov and Armia combine for 24,9m; I can add Byron too ...

I know they need to move someone with a high salary if they want to have some flexibility but Reinhart will not be my first choice and they will try to move Bobrovsky before Reinhart; I know they already try for Bobrovsky. In moving Reinhart you create another problem and you still have the Bobrovsky problem; a recipe for disaster and a lateral move at best in my opinion!

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
They need to work on their defense and putting some money there. Ekblad is injury prone, Gudas is Gudas, Forsling & Mahura a waiver cinderella story X2, Montour have a breakout year but he will slow down sooner than later, M. Staal is the last man to have see a Velociraptor alive and they have no depth at all ...

I understand your point but I didn't see Reinhart, a PPG player at 6,5m like a problem at all for the cap. He produce more alone or close than Hoffman, Gallagher, Anderson, Dadonov and Armia combine for 24,9m; I can add Byron too ...

I know they need to move someone with a high salary if they want to have some flexibility but Reinhart will not be my first choice and they will try to move Bobrovsky before Reinhart; I know they already try for Bobrovsky. In moving Reinhart you create another problem and you still have the Bobrovsky problem; a recipe for disaster and a lateral move at best in my opinion!
I think I’d try and move Bennett over reinhart to get more flexibility

Reactions: Galchenyuk15

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
Maybe I'm alone in my boat but I think the Tkachuk Vs Huberdeau+Weegar+1st have be more costly than that for Florida. Sam Bennett is not the same productive player without the chemistry he built with Jonathan Huberdeau and is closer to a 0,5 PPG, a better Calgary version of him, than a PPG, something he was close to be since the trade.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
3rd best chance in the league…..that’s better then 4th through 32nd.

My guess is we are (Habs pick) gonna finish more likely 4th last with a good chance at 3rd.

Combine that with the FLA pick and we’ll probably have the 2nd best odds
Habs will likely finish at 4th or 5th with SJS and possibly Arizona passing them. Florida is a bit of a wildcard. They might plummet when they’re officially out of the PO’s, but they might also play the spoiler roll down the stretch when there’s nothing left to play for and finish in the mid teens. Still spectacular return for Chiarot, but not as helpful to the Habs odds of getting Bedard.

In any case, Habs will end up with decent odds at 1st and two very good picks in n the top 20 in a deeeeeep draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad