Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I mean you’re not waiting 4-5 years, you’re waiting 3 years.

And, unless your draft Bedard or Fantilli, almost everyone needs to go back to junior or European leagues (maybe not Carlsson), so you’re waiting 1 year regardless.

If a team thinks he’s the best player and you’re already drafting near the top because you’re rebuilding and the team sucks, i don’t understand how waiting 2 extra years is a deterrent.

Because then you wonder if he even intends to come over here.

You're already not going to have him for 3 years until 2026. If he stays another 2 years, you won't have him until 2028 if he comes here at all.

Players you pick in later rounds, you can live with them never coming. But you're taking him in the Top-10 or even Top-5.

The Habs won't be rebuilding that long.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Very happy Flo playing the Canes to smack them out of the winning confidence they could have built after beating the Habs.

You don't really build confidence by shalacking one of the worst teams in the league.

It's actually the kind of false confidence that makes matters worst. It was too easy and not enough of a challenge to build up anything. All it might have done is make them too sure of themselves.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
You don't really build confidence by shalacking one of the worst teams in the league.

It's actually the kind of false confidence that makes matters worst. It was too easy and not enough of a challenge to build up anything. All it might have done is make them too sure of themselves.
That’s true but you don’t build overconfidence by beating the Habs either.

It could have been a ramp towards confidence however, if Flo would have won a few in a row.

That’s why I was happy that the Canes stopped them.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Lol... Panthers got shutout by KK et Co. So much for that confidence building win against the power house that is the Montreal Canadiens.
So beating up a half-AHL team is not a receipe for instant success? So I guess "dominating" an actual AHL league probably does not do it either, right?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
So beating up a half-AHL team is not a receipe for instant success? So I guess "dominating" an actual AHL league probably does not do it either, right?
It’s not about “dominating” the league. It’s all about reps. It’s hard to get better if you’re not eating ice time in game situations. It’s far worse when you’re struggling with the pace with the few minutes that you do get. We have a trump card Seattle wishes they had with Shane Wright with the AHL and we aren’t using it. Slaf is good enough to be a regular in the top 6 of our farm team. That’s where he should realistically be.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Because then you wonder if he even intends to come over here.

You're already not going to have him for 3 years until 2026. If he stays another 2 years, you won't have him until 2028 if he comes here at all.

Players you pick in later rounds, you can live with them never coming. But you're taking him in the Top-10 or even Top-5.

The Habs won't be rebuilding that long.
Well if the team gets the sense he won’t come over at all, then sure don’t draft him. But as part of their due diligence they should get a sense. If they feel good enough about him coming over, waiting an extra 2 years l, shouldn’t be a deterrent.

Because there’s no guarantee it’ll only be 3-years. Michkov may reup again in KHL prolonging his stay - remember KHL pays competitive wages with zero taxation on salaries & Russians get the comforts of their homeland

For context, Habs drafted Emelin in 2004 and he wouldn’t come over till end of his 3rd contract 7-years later despite Gainey, Gauthier trying mightily to bring him over for years.

Is that a chance GMs are willing to take and their bosses (owners) willing to accept as reasoning. “Hope” is not a business strategy
Obviously hope isn’t the strategy but they can interview him and talk to him and others to get a sense. If they feel sure enough about him coming over and are confident, they shouldn’t worry about an extra 2 years.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I just did a simulation. We are sitting at 7 (FLA) and 8 (MON), our Florida pick got #1 and we moved back to 9. If we can continue to drop, (I think the absolute lowest we can reach is 3 - but it's a stretch, more likely 4/5) and Florida remains in the bottom 10 - we will have the 2nd best odds to land Bedard

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It’s not about “dominating” the league. It’s all about reps. It’s hard to get better if you’re not eating ice time in game situations. It’s far worse when you’re struggling with the pace with the few minutes that you do get. We have a trump card Seattle wishes they had with Shane Wright with the AHL and we aren’t using it. Slaf is good enough to be a regular in the top 6 of our farm team. That’s where he should realistically be.
Slaf had over 13 minutes per game the last 4 games. He has had some PP time as well.

He is actually getting reps, it's just that those who have him in their pools, both real and vicarious, aren't getting points lately.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
7 and 8 would get us Benson & Dvorsky.

Not bad at all.
You just made me look up the Winnipeg Ice roser… Hockey players are obviously pre-destined by their given name. No-one called Mortimer or Benjamin on that team… Ty, Zach… heck there’s even a Maximilian lol

(that Allessandro guy will obviously never make it).

Reactions: WeThreeKings

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I just did a simulation. We are sitting at 7 (FLA) and 8 (MON), our Florida pick got #1 and we moved back to 9. If we can continue to drop, (I think the absolute lowest we can reach is 3 - but it's a stretch, more likely 4/5) and Florida remains in the bottom 10 - we will have the 2nd best odds to land Bedard
If Florida is 10h or 11th from botton,m we need to be third, to have a combined odds of 2nd.

But if Florida is 9th from bottom,m we can be 5th frm bottom to hit 13.5%.

If Habs move down to 4th and Florida stays put (we better beat them at least twice), our odds for Bedard are indeed 15.5%, with a 31% chance of being in the top-2.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
What's a reasonable Top 10 prospects for 2023 as of today?

I procrastinated learning about most of them other than Bedard, Michkov and perhaps Fantilli. I want to get to know the Top 15-ish.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What's a reasonable Top 10 prospects for 2023 as of today?

I procrastinated learning about most of them other than Bedard, Michkov and perhaps Fantilli. I want to get to know the Top 15-ish.

Connor Bedard​
Leo Carlsson​
Adam Fantilli​
Matvei Michkov​
Will Smith​
Brayden Yager​
Zach Benson​
Dalibor Dvorsky​
Eduard Sale​
Andrew Cristall​

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Another good start for the tank. Habs loosing, Buffalo won and getting away from Florida, Colombus won(i think they can make a push when healthy), Arizona leading 2-1 in Tbay,Philly tied after 2 in LA, Nashville stole a point in Vegas and just tied Florida in pts but with 2 games in hand!!

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Connor Bedard​
Leo Carlsson​
Adam Fantilli​
Matvei Michkov​
Will Smith​
Brayden Yager​
Zach Benson​
Dalibor Dvorsky​
Eduard Sale​
Andrew Cristall​
Nice list. I think Matthew Wood will be one of the top players coming out of this draft. I hope we go for him.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Michkov and Dvorsky is who i think we draft. But be good draft day. Early as two years lines be

Slaf-Dvorsky-PLD
Dach-Suzuki-Caufield
Beck-Roy- Heinemann

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
7 and 8 would get us Benson & Dvorsky.

Not bad at all.
Getting Dvorsky with one of the two picks is an awesome prospect because it allows us to reunite a line of Slafkovsly - Dvorsky - Mesar as a 3rd line (yep, third line). Then, it's up to MON to get a genuine second line in a hurry to protect both the Suzuki line and the Dvorsky line. That can be accomplished rather quickly via a trade and the UFA market.

Adding Dubois and another young, talented winger that is already a confirmed NHLer would help pull it off:

Maybe that #8 OA pick and Edmundson helps achieve this. Keller from the Yotes?

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
Keller - Dubois - Roy
Slafkovsky - Dvorsky - Mesar
Farrell - Beck - Heineman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad