Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I’ll just leave this here and thank Chiarot for being this generations Rivet, Zito for being Mike Milbury and Hughes for being Sam Pollock.
1672233323525.png

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I’ll just leave this here and thank Chiarot for being this generations Rivet, Zito for being Mike Milbury and Hughes for being Sam Pollock.
View attachment 627356
If this was to happen..............and a big if, sweet mother of god, this board would explode.....we have been so starved for a good hockey TEAM now for 30 years......
Laying it all on the goalies has not worked.............time for the new guys to build a real TEAM.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That’s not how odds work. You can’t combine them.
They are additive for the first pick (6.5% Montreal +5.0% Florida), and almost additive for the second pick.

Say you have 5% chance at a price and your wife also does. What are your house odds of winning?
If you're not sure, change the 5% to 50% and reply.

View attachment 627356
I don't know man. Do you really think Ty Smilanic will turn out as well as Josh Gorges did?

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

_vivelequebec_

Mar 5, 2007
Montréal
Obviously 1-2 is the dream, but I’d be more than happy with something like 6-12. Then we get a late 1st round at the trade deadline, we pick Hrabal and we sign Dubois the next summer.

Reactions: KevSkillz4

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That’s not how odds work. You can’t combine them.

I've done my engineering stats and prob over 25 years ago so i might be wrong (brain does age like the rest of the body) but i think in a case like the lottery pick you add the chances.

If there was only four teams with an equal chance to win the 1st overall pick they would have 25% chances to win the 1st overall pick and if you owned two of those pick you would have 50% chance to win the 1st overall.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
As of today we have two lotery picks able to win the 1st overall pick.

But hey according to a non insignificant part of this board we should have signed Chiarot last year and we should not sell this year.

One of those kept believing that because we were +2/,500 at thanksgiving and close to a playoff spot, it meant we'd be there the whole season. Habs wouldn't be sellers, ownership would never allow two tank years in a row, we'd go after UFAs, blah blah blah.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I've done my engineering stats and prob over 25 years ago so i might be wrong (brain does age like the rest of the body) but i think in a case like the lottery pick you add the chances.

If there was only four teams with an equal chance to win the 1st overall pick they would have 25% chances to win the 1st overall pick and if you owned two of those pick you would have 50% chance to win the 1st overall.
ex 5% + 5% = 10%

Le numérateur s’additionne mais le dénominateur reste le même . So yes if we have 2 top 10 lottery picks, the odds add up.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I think you’re right. I was conflating this the coin toss odds with draft odds. Where most people think they he odds of flipping change over a sequence but every flip is still 50/50.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The latter suggestion maps to a hefty price in a strong draft. There could be a 1C available at position, where the lower of Habs and Cats first rounders may be enough to snag Knight... which could still be an overpayment.
If MON had the opportunity of picking one of Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson and, with the FLA pick, Dvorsky, I'd be all over picking two potential game-altering Cs.

You never have too many Cs as they can either play wing or become trade chips for missing pieces.

Reactions: Chili and themilosh

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Other than having 1st and 2nd pick...the next best scenario is that the worst of the two (currently Florida) wins the lottery and ours is 5-6. That would be memorable.

Reactions: themilosh

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
If MON had the opportunity of picking one of Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson and, with the FLA pick, Dvorsky, I'd be all over picking two potential game-altering Cs.

You never have too many Cs as they can either play wing or become trade chips for missing pieces.
I f we pick 3rd i hope we take Michkov as Bedard/Fantilli will be gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad