Speculation: Florida's pick - Watch thread - (Upon request, thread title change lol)

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
If MON had the opportunity of picking one of Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson and, with the FLA pick, Dvorsky, I'd be all over picking two potential game-altering Cs.

You never have too many Cs as they can either play wing or become trade chips for missing pieces.

Suzuki and Dach can easily play RW too.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Going into tonights game, Montreal with 7th pick and Florida at 10, we have 11% chance of drafting Bedard. Gives us 3rd best odds.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling MTL will end the season 4th to last in standings, and FLA 13th to last. We'll likely draft 6+13.

Something tells me the 15 bottom teams will be the following (I'm basing this on their schedules)...
15. STL
14. NJD
13. FLA
(point gap)
12. NSH
11. OTT
10. DET
9. ARI
8. VAN
7. PHI
6. BUF
(point gap)
5. CHI
4. MTL
3. ANA
2. SJS
1. CBJ

I hope I'm wrong, and MTL ends last, and FLA 2nd to last LOL.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling MTL will end the season 4th to last in standings, and FLA 13th to last. We'll likely draft 6+13.

Something tells me the 15 bottom teams will be the following (I'm basing this on their schedules)...
15. STL
14. NJD
13. FLA
(point gap)
12. NSH
11. OTT
10. DET
9. ARI
8. VAN
7. PHI
6. BUF
(point gap)
5. CHI
4. MTL
3. ANA
2. SJS
1. CBJ

I posted this in other thread but. Out of the bottom teams, i think all of Anaheim, SJ, and Columbus are due for a bit of a surge. None of them should be quite as bad as they have been so far, so i see them wracking up higher win% moving forward.

Chicago is bad and will get worst (they have big pieces to unload at tdl). Arizona remains really bad.

So - i think dead last is out of question. 2nd to last isn't impossible, but unlikely with so many teams. I think we finish anywhere from 3 to 5 from bottom, most likely 4 or 5.

Florida is a wildcard. Going into the season i said there a very legitimate chance all the off season changes blow up in their face and they end up a lottery team. So far so good - but the difference is they're actually good enough to right the ship. They can legitimately still finish top 5 in the entire league imo - doesn't mean they will, just means it's still early to say for certain where they end up.

The one great thing with Florida is rest of our division is looking good, with all of Ottawa, Buffalo and Detroit having things going for them. If all 3 teams can continue to do well enough, finishing 7th in division behind only the Habs is possible. That likely puts them in the bottom ~7-10 in league.

I think in terms of whats realistic, thats probably best case scenario:

Habs finish 3-5 from last, Florida finishes 7-10 from last.

That's my prediction as of today.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Even if FLAs 1st is a top 5 pick the Chiarot trade should go down as one of the most lopsided in history. We traded a bottom pair D man for a Top 5 pick in a deep draft LMFAO

Even if it's Top-10.

I still have a hard time understanding Zito with this one. Because he traded 1st round picks for better players, but those picks were Top-10 protected.

He traded a 2022 1st to Buffalo for Reinhart, but it was Top-10 protected.
He traded a 2024 1st to Philly for Giroux, but it is Top-10 protected.
He traded a 2025 1st to Calgary for Tkachuk, but it is Top-10 protected.

But for Chiarot, he trades a 2023 1st to Montreal, but this is the one that is not protected. To our delight, of course.

Reinhart, Giroux, Tkachuk, Chiarot.... one of these things is not like the others.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

15. STL
14. NJD
13. FLA
(point gap)
12. NSH
11. OTT
10. DET
9. ARI
8. VAN
7. PHI
6. BUF
(point gap)
5. CHI
4. MTL
3. ANA
2. SJS
1. CBJ

Zero chance Chicago ends up 5th. Dead last or second last.
Regardless, I do think Montreal could be 3rd or 4th last though.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Realistically looks like a top 5 and a mid teen pick for the Habs. Add another mid 20’s pick after the deadline and you have the makings of a very good draft year and the beginning of the team to be more competitive with more top prospects, tons of cap and open roster spots. The pain is almost over!

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Now that Habs are in Michkov territory, wonder if/how far he falls in the draft. By signing until 2026, I don’t know how many teams are willingly to wait 3 years for him to maybe play in the NHL, not to mention Russia is a global pariah and there’s zero scouting going on. With two picks in the top 15, so far, it’ll be interesting to see if Habs take him with either pick. I can see him going anytime after top 3.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Now that Habs are in Michkov territory, wonder if/how far he falls in the draft. By signing until 2026, I don’t know how many teams are willingly to wait 3 years for him to maybe play in the NHL, not to mention Russia is a global pariah and there’s zero scouting going on. With two picks in the top 15, so far, it’ll be interesting to see if Habs take him with either pick.

I think he’ll still go top-5. Any rebuilding team can still wait. I‘ll just us as an example; we aren‘t going to be contending for 2-3 seasons. By the time Michkov comes, we should be on the cusp of contending for the playoffs, and he’ll be further developed at 21-22 years old. Let’s just say his development in Russia goes as hoped… he’ll be NHL ready and be able to immediately contribute.

Anyhow, he has too much talent for any team to ignore. He won‘t go #1, and maybe not #2 but I think #3 is still likely.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Even if it's Top-10.

I still have a hard time understanding Zito with this one. Because he traded 1st round picks for better players, but those picks were Top-10 protected.

But for Chiarot, he trades a 2023 1st to Montreal, but this is the one that is not protected. To our delight, of course.

Reinhart, Giroux, Tkachuk, Chiarot.... one of these things is not like the others.
Maybe Hughes is a distant relative of Svengali or he simply learned hypnotism. Whichever I think he needs to start unloading as of today.
Wideman, Dandonov, Hoffman, Drouin, and whoever else he wants to move, send them packing. If nothing else it'll help with the tank.

Realistically looks like a top 5 and a mid teen pick for the Habs. Add another mid 20’s pick after the deadline and you have the makings of a very good draft year and the beginning of the team to be more competitive with more top prospects, tons of cap and open roster spots. The pain is almost over!
Yeah but what if the pain is from a terminal disease?

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Now that Habs are in Michkov territory, wonder if/how far he falls in the draft. By signing until 2026, I don’t know how many teams are willingly to wait 3 years for him to maybe play in the NHL, not to mention Russia is a global pariah and there’s zero scouting going on. With two picks in the top 15, so far, it’ll be interesting to see if Habs take him with either pick.

I'm half discouraged by Michkov and half okay with him in the KHL. The half part that discourages me is that he won't be available until May 1st, 2026 because he's under contract in the KHL. And with no transfer agreement between NHL and KHL, it means Michkov won't be allowed to participate in anything with the Habs. Not develoment camp, not rookie camp, not main camp.

The half part that I'm okay with is that when his contract in the KHL does end, he will still only be 21 years old. But then the worry is that he will end up signing an extension in the KHL and staying there a few more years.

You can look at Kaprizov and say that Michkov can come here as a polished product even if older. But I don't know how much it will serve the Canadiens to draft Michkov in the Top-10 to wait 4-5 years before he can be signed and play.

If the Habs end up with two Top-10 picks, then I can see them take Michkov (if he's available) and be patient with him while they take a player who might be ready sooner with the other pick.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Maybe Hughes is a distant relative of Svengali or he simply learned hypnotism. Whichever I think he needs to start unloading as of today.
Wideman, Dandonov, Hoffman, Drouin, and whoever else he wants to move, send them packing. If nothing else it'll help with the tank.

Yeah but what if the pain is from a terminal disease?
The players you list, are all driving the tank.............trading them away makes the habs better...............not to mention there is NO GM stupid enough to trade anything for those 4 clowns.............

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Even if it's Top-10.

Even if he protected the Chiarot 1st.. it would have lost its protection with the other moves.

How do you conditional them all top 10 protected? 'Cause its like this.

2022 1st, if top 10 it becomes 2023 1st.
But if you trade the 2023 1st, then the protection on 2022 is gone because the 2023 1st is gone.
So if they had protected the Chiarot 1st, but made the Giroux trade and then the Tkachuk trade, they'd have forfeited the protection.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm half discouraged by Michkov and half okay with him in the KHL. The half part that discourages me is that he won't be available until May 1st, 2026 because he's under contract in the KHL. And with no transfer agreement between NHL and KHL, it means Michkov won't be allowed to participate in anything with the Habs. Not develoment camp, not rookie camp, not main camp.

The half part that I'm okay with is that when his contract in the KHL does end, he will still only be 21 years old. But then the worry is that he will end up signing an extension in the KHL and staying there a few more years.

You can look at Kaprizov and say that Michkov can come here as a polished product even if older. But I don't know how much it will serve the Canadiens to draft Michkov in the Top-10 to wait 4-5 years before he can be signed and play.

If the Habs end up with two Top-10 picks, then I can see them take Michkov (if he's available) and be patient with him while they take a player who might be ready sooner with the other pick.
Kaprisov is the name that came to my mind as well. It’s waiting and not being part of the core playing together that I think will be the biggest factor. His skill is undeniable.

I think you’re right and that under the right circumstances, with two top 10 picks (if that happens) they can take a chance if he’s still available.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens and how it all pans out.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
What a trade. I was assuming it would be a late first - a top 15 would be amazing, and a top 10 would push us over the top. Even just increasing our chances of winning the lottery is a win.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Can't start a thread so i thought i'd post it here and maybe someone else might think it's thread worthy.

It's about Habs prospect Beaudin who isn't talked about much. Again a bit on the smaller size.
Listed at 5'11" 170 LBS.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
2-0 Carolina against Florida. Nashville won earlier so they are only 1pt behind Florida with 2 games in hand
borat.jpg

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

I mean you’re not waiting 4-5 years, you’re waiting 3 years.

And, unless your draft Bedard or Fantilli, almost everyone needs to go back to junior or European leagues (maybe not Carlsson), so you’re waiting 1 year regardless.

If a team thinks he’s the best player and you’re already drafting near the top because you’re rebuilding and the team sucks, i don’t understand how waiting 2 extra years is a deterrent.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I mean you’re not waiting 4-5 years, you’re waiting 3 years.

And, unless your draft Bedard or Fantilli, almost everyone needs to go back to junior or European leagues (maybe not Carlsson), so you’re waiting 1 year regardless.

If a team thinks he’s the best player and you’re already drafting near the top because you’re rebuilding and the team sucks, i don’t understand how waiting 2 extra years is a deterrent.
Because there’s no guarantee it’ll only be 3-years. Michkov may reup again in KHL prolonging his stay - remember KHL pays competitive wages with zero taxation on salaries & Russians get the comforts of their homeland

For context, Habs drafted Emelin in 2004 and he wouldn’t come over till end of his 3rd contract 7-years later despite Gainey, Gauthier trying mightily to bring him over for years.

Is that a chance GMs are willing to take and their bosses (owners) willing to accept as reasoning. “Hope” is not a business strategy

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad