Draft R4 #111: Rangers select C Noah Laba (Lincoln Stars, USHL)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rangers should consider signing him.

I think a lot of teams will be interested in signing him. The player might look at what the Rangers have and decide he might make it to the NHL with better opportunity for some other team. This is what happened with Collin Graf last year. Very highly sought after and he signs with the Sharks and no doubt much of his reasoning was he'll be earning NHL money sooner with them than he would than with the better teams in the league.

Just a team wanting someone doesn't mean they'll be able to get it done.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I think a lot of teams will be interested in signing him. The player might look at what the Rangers have and decide he might make it to the NHL with better opportunity for some other team. This is what happened with Collin Graf last year. Very highly sought after and he signs with the Sharks and no doubt much of his reasoning was he'll be earning NHL money sooner with them than he would than with the better teams in the league.

Just a team wanting someone doesn't mean they'll be able to get it done.

so he rather make NHL money and not make the playoffs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

You will find a lot of free agents signing for bottom teams yeah. It's like asking if water is wet. The difference between like making $950K and $80K or the difference between playing in the NHL or AHL because the greater likelihood for most all undrafted free agent signings is if they sign with a better team they don't get to play in the NHL right away. They might even need a year, or two, or three because those teams tend to be deeper throughout. The bottom feeders tend to get the pick of the litter just because a player can kickstart his career much faster signing with them.

Reactions: ecemleafs

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean the difference between a season earning an NHL salary on the ELC and the minors salary on the ELC is a life-changing amount of money for the average person. Even if you "only" take home like $450K after taxes, that's still enough to make a sizable down payment on a house, buy a nice car, and still put six figures in the bank/stocks/however you want to use it. Unless you're a stud and you are pretty confident you have a long NHL career ahead of you, you can't really take that ELC for granted. If you can get a season or two in the NHL you absolutely take it, there's nothing selfish about it. It's selfish for fans to expect young players to sacrifice that for any reason.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Yes. Players rather make 800k a year and not make the NHL play-offs than make 70k and play in the AHL.

How is this such a crazy concept? Most NHL careers last 2-3 years. Nothing is guaranteed.

Even if there's a guarantee for a Cup, it's just not as fairytale-like as fans think it is.

If I could choose between 5 years in the NHL without ever making the play-offs, or 1 year total in the NHL where I win a Stanley Cup, I pick the first option any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

You cannot convince me that Shane Gersich had a better, more satisfying career than Nikolai Zherdev.

Last edited:

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Posts like this make me wonder about the age of a poster. Have you ever had a job?
poster has been on here for 5 years so ud think at the very least the poster is now an adult. genuinely unhinged to think riding buses making 80k a year in the minors is better than making 800k living the life of luxury in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad