Florida Panthers defeat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3, and are your 2024 Stanley Cup Champions!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I mean the guy just literally carried his team to game 7

You're opinion is 100% wrong thank you

Mcdavid blows Crosby out of the water on talent and if the Oilers had a decent goaltender florida doesnt even win this series
While I agree that that poster is out to lunch re Mcdavid, lets not get carried away with the he blows Crosby out of the water stuff. Take a breath. Both are incredible talents and the best of their generations.

I don’t think the oilers need to change a thing. They could’ve easily been the champs this morning. The supporting cast produced, defense was awesome and goaltending was top tier. Run it back next year.
They remind of the Panthers last year and when Maurice stated after losing to Vegas that now the players know what it takes to go deep so he wouldnt't have to keep harping on what needs to be done. The Oilers will only be better from this deep run experience. I fully expect them to be back next year and possibly against the Panthers again. Super enjoyable series.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Agreed, 31 years is absolutely insane for 7 teams from the same country to go without a cup. I actually knew Florida was going to take game 7 despite the Oilers going into the game with such momentum simply because they were playing a Canadian team and especially since game 7 SCF don't ever go the Canadian teams way.

I even said before the series began the the Panthers will win it as its been the same old story for Canadian teams in the finals.

I don't believe in curses but the fact that Canadian teams always come up short in the end even as on paper favorites is absolutely bonkers.
5 game 7 losses is crazy. 1994, 2004, 2006, 2011, 2024. Wild.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I find it a little bit unfair that Bobby Orr can be considered one of the greats when he won 2 cups when there were 12 and 14 teams in the league, while McDavid won the west (best out of 16 teams), but is still held to that same standard.
Hint....his greatness didn't hinge on him winning cups. It was the way he transformed the game, especially from the backend. He was light years ahead of others in the way he handled the puck and the way he thought the game.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Florida is the better team. I expect almost everyone would agree with that.

But the better team doesn't always win, it's the team who plays best/wants it more often.

I feel as though McDavid had a lot of plays he tried in game 7 that didn't work, he often lost the puck when trying to deke a player or such. I wonder if the ice quality was bad and it affected him? It was also obvious that by the end of the 3rd - McDavid, and all of Oilers top players had simply nothing left in the tank.

Draisaitl....no idea. I assume he had an injury because his play was just bad since Dallas series. Curious to see what comes out in that regard.

McDavid 100% deserves the smythe over Barkov. Ridiculous take that one.
I think to win the Conn Smythe on the losing team you have to above and beyond play better than anyone. I was ready to say that after game 5, and then McDavid put in two ghost games.

Barkov shut down Kucherov/Stamkos, Pastrnak/Marchand, Panarin/Zibanejad, and then McDrai on path to winning the Cup. He won all his matchups. He also led the Panthers in scoring. He was phenomenal. The idea from some that Bob was the best Panther during the playoffs is a myth. Only true if you just ignore the bad games from him. .906 SV% and worse GSAE than three goalies eliminated earlier in the playoffs.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Oilers didn't create enough in the first two periods, Panthers controlled it. Until the Panthers went into the defensive shell in the third, Oilers weren't good enough. No guarantees they get back

Wonder how Game 4 of the Conference Final and subsequently the series goes if Zibanejad just gets the puck in deep to start OT instead of a cross ice pass to Wheeler when the D is changing behind the play...
They will be back just like the Panthers after last years learning experience.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
So nice to see another Russian captain win the Cup!!!!
ummm not for nothing, Barkov is not Russian. He is from Finland.

Barkov lives in Finland but is Russian.

Barkov is Russian and lives in Finland. You should take your own advice.
Capfriendly says he was born in Finland but he has Russian and Finnish roots....mom or dad from Russia maybe?

Reactions: Trash Panda

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
They will be back just like the Panthers after last years learning experience.
Not necessarily. They got a gift path through the Pacific when the Golden Knights lost against the Ducks in Game 82 to give the Oilers the Kings (who looked mostly lifeless after their road winning streak ended on Long Island) in the 1st Round, followed by a Canucks team missing Demko, starting their 3rd string goalie, plus Boeser being out for Game 7. I will give the Oilers a lot of credit for taking control in the middle of the Dallas series and beating the Stars.

No guarantees the path is easier. Oilers likely have a different looking lineup and won't have a godly PK all playoffs next year.

Reactions: shuchukfan

myleafs

May 25, 2021
What character issues does he have? LOL

The guy just scored became the 3rd player ever to score 40 points in the play offs

And Crosby whined a lot in his earlier years he also had flaws and its not like Crosby's defense is Selke level

Stop fabricating shit to support your argument
You must be new here

Reactions: I am toxic

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It must suck being a fan of a team when all you have to cheer for is rivals to lose.

That's the existence of 30 fanbases each season

Not necessarily. They got a gift path through the Pacific when the Golden Knights lost against the Ducks in Game 82 to give the Oilers the Kings (who looked mostly lifeless after their road winning streak ended on Long Island) in the 1st Round, followed by a Canucks team missing Demko, starting their 3rd string goalie, plus Boeser being out for Game 7. I will give the Oilers a lot of credit for taking control in the middle of the Dallas series and beating the Stars.

No guarantees the path is easier. Oilers likely have a different looking lineup and won't have a godly PK all playoffs next year.

Don't forget setting the record for least shots in a winning game of a series. Didn't they have 10 shots in that Stars win? Play that game 10000 times and they lose it 9999 times

Reactions: MaWa

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Nah. Enough with the gift paths and if only this happened or that happened. I don't understand the need to downplay a team that lost the 7th game of the finals by 1 goal against the cream of the crop Panthers. They got to the finasl fair and square You could see the Oilers were figuring it out and what it takes to win it all as the playoffs moved along. They will only be better and hungrier because of it . I could totally see both teams back at the big dance next year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think to win the Conn Smythe on the losing team you have to above and beyond play better than anyone. I was ready to say that after game 5, and then McDavid put in two ghost games.

Barkov shut down Kucherov/Stamkos, Pastrnak/Marchand, Panarin/Zibanejad, and then McDrai on path to winning the Cup. He won all his matchups. He also led the Panthers in scoring. He was phenomenal. The idea from some that Bob was the best Panther during the playoffs is a myth. Only true if you just ignore the bad games from him. .906 SV% and worse GSAE than three goalies eliminated earlier in the playoffs.
How did Barkov shut down McDavid when he put up 11 points to Barkovs 5? Or when Barkov was -1 overall in the playoffs and finals?

McDavid definitely had a better playoff run than Barkov and was 100% deserving of the smythe.

If you wanted to say only a player on the winning team should be eligible to win the Smythe, I wouldnt argue too strongly and agree with Barkov. But as it is - McDavid was definitely the right choice.

Reactions: Video Nasty

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

Stats you can look up will always be sexier than responsible play. McDavid had one 5v5 point when Barkov was on the ice. Barkov does the small things right, like faceoff wins, takeaways etc.

Honestly I don't mind (or care) McDavid got the Smythe, he was a good pick stats-wise. However I feel it's just stupid to reward the losing team's player with it. It massively sucks for the player winning it under those circumstances too.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
ummm not for nothing, Barkov is not Russian. He is from Finland.

Capfriendly says he was born in Finland but he has Russian and Finnish roots....mom or dad from Russia maybe?
Barkov's family is Russian, but he grew up here. He trained here. His friends are here. He plays for the Finnish national team. He refers to himself as Finnish.

McDavid isn't Scottish

Last edited by a moderator:

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
OK to be fair to McDavid they took forever to hand out the Smythe. Did anyone tell him before hand? He went back with his team and perhaps some of the NHL officials should have told him to stay. I hve not seen reports of what exactly happened.

Didn't Crosby miss the 2009 handshake line, namely not shaking Lidström's hand? Nick was miffed about that.
I think it's a bad look in both cases. It's not a scarlet letter or anything.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I don't really believe in jinxes, but most of Canadian media acting like the Oilers had Game 7 and the Cup in the bag after Game 6 just made me think that Panthers winning was more inevitable.

The overhype, while moderately understandable, was insufferable, so glad that Florida won.

You all let other people affect your emotional state way too much.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
beautiful-sunny-day-hawaiian-drink-summer-vacation-vx51h7f37eivy3oz.gif
Zero posts between Jun 15 - Jun 25… what happened to you?

dhfa

Apr 18, 2023
I am happy to see all the arrogance now getting to face humility. Cats seemed to take their good ol time showing up for the closeout game, but in a way it made it better for those who needed to be humbled. There are never guarantees in sports, and the chance to win it all only comes around once in a while. Congrats to the cats and their fans for getting it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad