Florida Panthers defeat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3, and are your 2024 Stanley Cup Champions!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stats you can look up will always be sexier than responsible play. McDavid had one 5v5 point when Barkov was on the ice. Barkov does the small things right, like faceoff wins, takeaways etc.

Honestly I don't mind (or care) McDavid got the Smythe, he was a good pick stats-wise. However I feel it's just stupid to reward the losing team's player with it. It massively sucks for the player winning it under those circumstances too.
Dedicated hockey fans know that there’s always a player or two during a season or a playoffs that you learn to appreciate that much more. That player for me during the playoffs was Barkov. His defensive ability looks cool on all these advanced stats spreadsheets that none of us know how to quantify and you see that he wins the Selke which becomes a hard award to quantify, but he has all the little details in his defensive game that leads to his ability to lockdown all these elite players. I finally understand what all the hype with him is about. You aren’t going to get it looking at his point totals or even watching him when his team has the puck, but he’s the best defensive forward in the league for a reason and it’s very easy to spot if you watch for it.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The Cats needed better performances from Verhaege, Reinhart, and Montour and they got them in game 7. Their 4th line was great as well.

Knoblauch did a lot of good things with the Oil these playoffs but I think he overplayed his top guys that last game, especially in periods 2&3. Edmonton's depth had really been stepping up in the series yet Henrique, Janmark, Holloway were all under 13 minutes while Zach Hyman played 25. Why bother dressing Derek Ryan if you're only going to get him 7 minutes in the final game of a very long season. The Oilers' top 5 looked absolutely gassed in the final minutes.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
The Cats needed better performances from Verhaege, Reinhart, and Montour and they got them in game 7. Their 4th line was great as well.

Knoblauch did a lot of good things with the Oil these playoffs but I think he overplayed his top guys that last game, especially in periods 2&3. Edmonton's depth had really been stepping up in the series yet Henrique, Janmark, Holloway were all under 13 minutes while Zach Hyman played 25. Why bother dressing Derek Ryan if you're only going to get him 7 minutes in the final game of a very long season. The Oilers' top 5 looked absolutely gassed in the final minutes.
Putting Draisaitl’s ghost out for the last 5 minutes was a mistake, he had absolutely nothing left

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
lol

only time will tell.......but of none those teams had a McDavid..Just seems like he'll get one.....
like all the other generational players do.
Hard to say. Most if not all of those generational players had won at least one at a younger age than McDavid. I think terrible Oilers management over the years has really made it a tough hill for McDavid even with what a great year he had. None of the other generational players had to deal with a succession of GM’s like Lowe, Chia and Holland.
Next year they will have about $13.5 million or so in wasted cap with Campbell, the excess Nurse contract over his real value and the Connor Brown bonus deferred this year. A $13.5 million hole puts them at a pretty big disadvantage over the other top competitors.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Too many Oiler fans acting like they are a shoe in for the Cup next year, so many things have to break right for them, and more than most teams they are one injury away from being a bottom 10 team in the league. As constructed, I don't think they'd even be top 5 favorite to come out of the west next season.
Pretty strong words for a fan of a team that went to game 7 of the SCF to the Edmonton Oilers depth players.

McDavid was wrecked all season and still put up those numbers. Insane when you think about. Likely needs abdominal surgery he wasn't shooting all season. He wasn't right all year. Drai has broken finger and broken ribs and Kane had a hernia, not many teams can loose 3 top six players and still get to game 7 of the SCF. again, the oilers depth is woefully disrespected here.

We scored one f***ing goal

Ask anyone if they would put a bet on the oilers winning game 7 with 1 goal.

Skinner was not the problem last night
or the series.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
grand-admiral-thrawn.gif

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
What's good about this win is that it proves that team play and construction is still more important than any one player in the league, even one of the best to ever lace them up. If McDavid singlehandedly overcame a 0-3, then basically the Cup is his if he wants it. No team not lucky enough to have him has a chance. Glad that's not the case.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
People posting on a hockey forum everyday getting upset that other people don’t post on a hockey forum every day :laugh:
I think it's more the blatantly obvious "breaks" you and your pal there take happen to take correspond with when the Oilers are winning lol

It's okay to admit it, you're allowed to post here just like everyone else

• Haha
Reactions: MessierII

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Why don't they show the in locker room cup celebrations anymore? These are usually the best parts than the on ice celebration.

You can still find it but it's not broadcasted on national TV anymore

Watched the last 2:00 of the game classic live and die by the sword. McDrai were totally drained nothing left.

According to Oiler fans we have to give them slack because they were playing injured.

Give it a day or two before the injury report comes out for both teams. Then we can judge. 🤔

heatedskates

May 25, 2009
Canada
So McDavid only had 1 point in 4 SCF losses?

Is that accurate? With a YUGE oh-fer in games 6 & 7?

He did not deserve the CS. Broke records? How many more games than Gretz?
Gretzky had his 47 in 18 games and a Cup. His 43 were in 19 games and a Cup. Mario had his 44 in 23 games and a cup. Also had 34 points in 15 games and a Cup...

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Too many Oiler fans acting like they are a shoe in for the Cup next year, so many things have to break right for them, and more than most teams they are one injury away from being a bottom 10 team in the league. As constructed, I don't think they'd even be top 5 favorite to come out of the west next season.
That is absolutely stupid lol. We went to the conf final three years ago, and now in the cup this year. Arguable it was the bottom lines that got the top lines going in game 4. Drai was hurt through the entire playoffs and didn’t play great….. many have stayed that, and now you’re saying we are an injury away from not even being top 5 lol. Well… he was hurt so that doesn’t make any sense. Our depth actually played extremely well in the playoffs

I can’t stand this stupid argument of, “you are one or two injuries away from not being that good”

Hey Patriots fans. Thank god Brady didn’t get hurt all those years; or you wouldn’t have the super bowls you did. Right now as it stands when healthy this oilers team WILL compete for the cup again next year. No Oilers fan is saying we will make it, but to think we are crazy for thinking we will compete for it is stupid

No f***ing shit if we lose our top two players to injury, we won’t be that good. That’s a lot of teams. It’s a crazy concept I know. But that is in any sport. If the Colts lost Peyton in all those years, or Patriots lost Brady, if Saints lost Brees they aren’t the teams they are

If the oilers lose McD and Drai OBVIOUSLY we aren’t the team we are. But assuming they are healthy next year , we will be just fine and our bottom. 6 played well through the playoffs.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Cheered for Florida last year after the Oilers were eliminated. They shutdown the best player in hockey for 4 of 7 games and completely shutdown Draisaitl, RNH and Hyman. Impossible to win when your 3rd line is your best line all series. Happy for Bob with all he's been thru over his career and especially happy for Maurice. Hopefully the Oilers can win it in the next few years.
Get Saros and I'm on board 😉👍
I hope McDavid wins his cup sooner rather than later.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
There’s just more to do than just watch hockey in that city I’m guessing - so many options. Going outside in the winter etc.
It's *really* hard to get to their barn for regular puck drop without leaving stupid early, similar to Ottawa. Miami is one of very few places in the States I refuse to drive myself. Any pro sports spectating is investing significant time, but the extra time to budget to get there and back, especially on weeknights, means a lot of passionate fans watch elsewhere most of the time.

There's no shortage of screens.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2