Florida Panthers defeat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3, and are your 2024 Stanley Cup Champions!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Georges Laraque's rap video guaranteeing Oilers cup win.
The Edmonton opera singers video
Jesse Bandwagon Pollack saying game 7 was the most important game in hockey history.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Congrats to the Panthers and their fans!

To a handful of others, how miserable and salty you must be to bash McDavid in this thread. lol
Real, I don’t know how any actual hockey fan can not be grateful that we got to watch such a great Finals and a spectacular run by the game’s best talent

Sometimes you just gotta enjoy things

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I am shocked at the gatekeeping over any posts criticizing McDavid.

Shocked, I tell you.

Clearly, my initial optimism - that we would no longer endure the claptrap about McDavid being on a level of Orr, Gretzky, Mario - was unfounded. I shudder to think of the threads we will have to endure on the main boards, the next time he goes on a ten game points tear.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
As a Flames fan I breathed a big sigh of relief… that said, this feeling is only temporary… I can see the Oilers next year absolutely steam roll the league right through the playoffs, and win the cup like Florida did on their second chance.

Disturbs me to say this, in my opinion Oilers will win the cup next year.

They made for an exciting playoffs this year. Very entertaining hockey.

Conversely, they could also just get hit with variance next year and be bounced in the first round by a hot goalie, or have an injury take out a key player, etc. Takes a lot of breaks to get to the finals even one time.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Georges Laraque's rap video guaranteeing Oilers cup win.
The Edmonton opera singers video
Jesse Bandwagon Pollack saying game 7 was the most important game in hockey history.
I don't really believe in jinxes, but most of Canadian media acting like the Oilers had Game 7 and the Cup in the bag after Game 6 just made me think that Panthers winning was more inevitable.

The overhype, while moderately understandable, was insufferable, so glad that Florida won.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Honestly I'm long past the stage of "if my team doesn't win I sure don't want that team to win either!" Possible exception being I will never, ever root for the Bruins. Too many years as a Habs fan to shake that.

So sigh of relief? Nah. We've had 31+ years of NHL fans in the seven Canadian cities denied the opportunity to celebrate their hometown team winning the Cup. Insert whatever chirp you want about the Leafs and their eternal torture. Vancouver & Winnipeg & Ottawa have never got one in their modern incarnations. It's been long enough. I think hockey fandom can survive a Canadian franchise finally breaking the drought.

Besides, McDavid is a generational player and it'd be damn good to see him hoist one before his day is done. Last night wasn't his night, but I sure hope he gets another crack at it, whether with the Oilers or elsewhere.
Agreed, 31 years is absolutely insane for 7 teams from the same country to go without a cup. I actually knew Florida was going to take game 7 despite the Oilers going into the game with such momentum simply because they were playing a Canadian team and especially since game 7 SCF don't ever go the Canadian teams way.

I even said before the series began the the Panthers will win it as its been the same old story for Canadian teams in the finals.

I don't believe in curses but the fact that Canadian teams always come up short in the end even as on paper favorites is absolutely bonkers.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I don't really believe in jinxes, but most of Canadian media acting like the Oilers had Game 7 and the Cup in the bag after Game 6 just made me think that Panthers winning was more inevitable.

The overhype, while moderately understandable, was insufferable, so glad that Florida won.

It wasn't just the media, pretty much everyone on these boards called the Panthers toast, and not just those rooting for the Oilers. Just goes to show how hard it is to win that 4th game. Greatest playoffs in sports.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I am shocked at the gatekeeping over any posts criticizing McDavid.

Shocked, I tell you.

Clearly, my initial optimism - that we would no longer endure the claptrap about McDavid being on a level of Orr, Gretzky, Mario - was unfounded. I shudder to think of the threads we will have to endure on the main boards, the next time he goes on a ten game points tear.
Username checks out

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
It wasn't just the media, pretty much everyone on these boards called the Panthers toast, and not just those rooting for the Oilers. Just goes to show how hard it is to win that 4th game. Greatest playoffs in sports.
The same people called the Oilers toast after game 3 as well. Why does that surprise you?

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
tfl-l-elbo-room-panthers-stanley-cup-01_c178e6[1].jpg

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
The same people called the Oilers toast after game 3 as well. Why does that surprise you?
Yeah it was a weird weird playoffs, and we are not used to seeing this. No one could predict game 7 and it was only decided by 1 goal. To be fair the it looked like the Panthers had it in the bag after game 3. The domination by the Oilers and Bob was lit up. I can see both sides of the argument.

A fun and strange SC Finals for the books!

Reactions: I am toxic

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Just gonna leave that there.

Feel free to scroll down, where you'll find three Canadian teams in the bottom ten. :help:
I mean the poster also tries to insult mcdavid and clearly didn't do his/her/they homework re attendance. Welcome to trollville. Tnx for those stats btw...very interesting.

they got 54 in the reg season and 16 from him in the playoffs and still didnt win.. bet you guy doesnt even sniff 40 goals rest of his career
Ill take that bet

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
Diving, tantrums, refusing to backcheck, and now wouldn't come out for the Conn Smythe. He's shown no sign that he's capable of acting like a man on or off the ice and it was obvious that his parents were ashamed of the way he disgraced the sport last night.
OK to be fair to McDavid they took forever to hand out the Smythe. Did anyone tell him before hand? He went back with his team and perhaps some of the NHL officials should have told him to stay. I hve not seen reports of what exactly happened.

Didn't Crosby miss the 2009 handshake line, namely not shaking Lidström's hand? Nick was miffed about that.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad