Florida Panthers defeat the Edmonton Oilers 4-3, and are your 2024 Stanley Cup Champions!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Panthers played arguably their best game in game 7. They were heavy on the forecheck from the beginning. It definitely contributed to an Oilers team that looked 'tight' from the start of the game. Congrats to Panthers. Lots to be proud of and build off for Oilers.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
McDavid and Draisaitl couldn't come back down from 0-3.

These two did it TWICE.

294aa7e844a76cd885ce2fee2f645db7.jpg

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Easy to root for Barkov, not so easy for Cousins and Tkachuk. EDM did fantastically, and should be able to build on this year. Hopefully Broberg can use this experience and come back as a useful young Dman. Holloway... he was ok, but also has a lot of room to improve. It's funny how unsung players like Janmark find ways to show up during the playoffs.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Keep telling yourself that. Without a Cup he is not sniffing Top5, let alone Top3. In fact, as it stands, McD with all his Art Rosses is still closer to Crosby than Lemieux.
I mean the guy just literally carried his team to game 7

You're opinion is 100% wrong thank you

Mcdavid blows Crosby out of the water on talent and if the Oilers had a decent goaltender florida doesnt even win this series

HANK30

Tom Brady 4-3 in SBs without Patriot cheating
Still can't figure out why they waited so long to pull Skinner...they should have done it at least a minute or so earlier

Panthers played arguably their best game in game 7. They were heavy on the forecheck from the beginning. It definitely contributed to an Oilers team that looked 'tight' from the start of the game. Congrats to Panthers. Lots to be proud of and build off for Oilers.

The Foegle penalty early on set the tone for the game. Unfortunately, it led to the first Panthers goal and the Oilers looked like they were on their heals for most of the game.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
I find it a little bit unfair that Bobby Orr can be considered one of the greats when he won 2 cups when there were 12 and 14 teams in the league, while McDavid won the west (best out of 16 teams), but is still held to that same standard.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Well deserved Florida. I had a feeling back in December this team would be a hand full come playoff time. I truly think the best team in the league won it all, which I am fine with.

That and the fact that we lost to the eventual winners. I can sleep with Florida winning.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I don’t think the oilers need to change a thing. They could’ve easily been the champs this morning. The supporting cast produced, defense was awesome and goaltending was top tier. Run it back next year.
Oilers didn't create enough in the first two periods, Panthers controlled it. Until the Panthers went into the defensive shell in the third, Oilers weren't good enough. No guarantees they get back

Well deserved Florida. I had a feeling back in December this team would be a hand full come playoff time. I truly think the best team in the league won it all, which I am fine with.

That and the fact that we lost to the eventual winners. I can sleep with Florida winning.
Wonder how Game 4 of the Conference Final and subsequently the series goes if Zibanejad just gets the puck in deep to start OT instead of a cross ice pass to Wheeler when the D is changing behind the play...

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Still can't figure out why they waited so long to pull Skinner...they should have done it at least a minute or so earlier

The Foegle penalty early on set the tone for the game. Unfortunately, it led to the first Panthers goal and the Oilers looked like they were on their heals for most of the game.
The second goal was definitely one Skinner would like back.

The Foegle penalty was legit imo. Oilers had some PP chances, but Draisaitl struggled to shoot the whole series (I think he was playing with an injury that caused this) and the minute the puck went to the point 4 Panthers collapsed making it really hard to get shots through. Panthers deserve credit for their PK ultimately.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

Game 7 was definitely the Panthers best game of the final. Hats off to them for showing up when it mattered most. Took a lot of heart and pride. I think their experience of losing in the finals last year paid off for them in the end. They just wanted it more than Edmonton and it showed last night.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Oilers didn't create enough in the first two periods, Panthers controlled it. Until the Panthers went into the defensive shell in the third, Oilers weren't good enough. No guarantees they get back

Wonder how Game 4 of the Conference Final and subsequently the series goes if Zibanejad just gets the puck in deep to start OT instead of a cross ice pass to Wheeler when the D is changing behind the play...
Woulda coulda shoulda. Rangers didn't deserve to win that series anyways.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Exactly. That PP opportunity the Oilers had, where the Panthers D broke his stick? You can't let a chance like that get away from you in a Cup deciding game. And the Oilers didn't cash in. They weren't creating enough all night, with the third period largely due to score effects.

The SN crew were raging homers especially in the second intermission, but in the first intermission one of them did point out that the Oilers were playing a very safe looking game as opposed to trying to push and drive the play. They never followed up on that, and they were slow to give the Panthers the credit they were due for not giving the Oilers an inch of open ice to work with all game. The score may have been just 2-1 but that was a pretty decisive Panther win. The Oilers never had control of the game, and their best players on paper were not their best players on the ice. Not a winning formula for them. For anyone, really.

And yes, no guarantees the Oilers can run it back. Panthers are the first team to pull it off since the 08/09 Penguins, and they were the first since the 83/84 Oilers IIRC, though if you expand the "run it back" criteria you can come up with some others such as the 19/20 Bolts, 95/97 Wings. Still, it's the exception, not the rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad