Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Joe Thornton signs with the Panthers (1 year, $750k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
I think Jagr with his "embarrassing play" could come back and play better than Jumbo at this point.

He needs to give it up, he's just damaging his legacy at this point.

Reactions: SpitfireG

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
When Keefe announced that Thornton would play on the top line it sent most of us Leaf fans for a spin. I think most of us had him on the 3rd or 4th line.

FLA fans, what's your feeling on this?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
When Keefe announced that Thornton would play on the top line it sent most of us Leaf fans for a spin. I think most of us had him on the 3rd or 4th line.

Certainly not top two lines: they’re set with Verhaege-Barky-Reinhart
Huberdeau-Bennett-Duke/Tippett

I’m not sure if he’ll be an everyday player. I see him trading off 3C with Lundell and potentially playing 3LW…

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah I think he only plays 40-60 games(if Q is smart), at 3lw or possibly 3c. Though Lundell looks primed for the 3c role and it is really his to lose. I think they brought him in to teach Lundell how to be an nhl center. He might play pp2, but he won't sniff pp1.

Reactions: Thomas Colavecchio

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Certainly not top two lines: they’re set with Verhaege-Barky-Reinhart
Huberdeau-Bennett-Duke/Tippett

I’m not sure if he’ll be an everyday player. I see him trading off 3C with Lundell and potentially playing 3LW…

This is an absolute carbon copy of what was said last season.

It makes sense to me, but then someone will mention his 1680 NHL games...

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
I think Jagr with his "embarrassing play" could come back and play better than Jumbo at this point.

He needs to give it up, he's just damaging his legacy at this point.

Exactly, by the way 42-44 old Yagr played for Florida also,

Panters think Jumbo is second Yagr for them??

His stats in Florida
42 - 20 gp 6g + 12a - 0,9 ppg
43 - 79 gp 27g + 39a - near ppg
44 - 82 gp 16g + 30a - 0,5ppg

Look at so different approach vs Yagr
- To recognize limits & play for the own club
Jagr feels obligated to keep playing for Kladno nearing age 50: report

Last edited:

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC

His stats in Florida

This is all really silly. Obviously they do not think he is “the second coming of Jagr.” They paid a lot for Jagr. They paid nothing for Joe. The only parallel is that they brought in an icon/hero that the players are probably happy to meet or whatever.
Also, you’re making Jagr’s decision to keep playing sound heroic or some shit. He literally suggests a divine justification for playing, you’ve got to be kidding me.

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002

Why would we care what Keefe did?

If your referring to Q vs Keefe decisions. I think Q has a bit of a edge ;)

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002

His stats in Florida

Jagr was brought in mostly to mentor Huby and Barkov and boy did that work. Both have credited Jagr with them taking huge step in there careers

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Why would we care what Keefe did?

If your referring to Q vs Keefe decisions. I think Q has a bit of a edge ;)

So what is Joe doing there then?

Bench warmer?

Experimental beard stopping back-up goalie?

8 min. a night staged fighting pro?

He's going to play, and he's going to be allowed some significant part.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
So what is Joe doing there then?

Bench warmer?

Experimental beard stopping back-up goalie?

8 min. a night staged fighting pro?

He's going to play, and he's going to be allowed some significant part.

35% of Thornton’s TOI last season was with Marner and Matthews, and an additional 10% was with one of those two, and Tavares. Florida is not Toronto. He won’t get top six minutes. He will be an occasional 3rd line C/LW substitute, and bring more leadership to the locker room.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
35% of Thornton’s TOI last season was with Marner and Matthews, and an additional 10% was with one of those two, and Tavares. Florida is not Toronto. He won’t get top six minutes. He will be an occasional 3rd line C/LW substitute, and bring more leadership to the locker room.

No. You don't know that. It seemed so logical to TOR fans. It seemed like their top 6 was set. Not the case at all. Keefe put Jumbo on AM and MM's line from the get go.

My point is that your comments are identical to the offseason conversations Leaf fans were having. It seems so logical to have Jumbo down in the line up, but...

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
No. You don't know that. It seemed so logical to TOR fans. It seemed like their top 6 was set. Not the case at all. Keefe put Jumbo on AM and MM's line from the get go.

My point is that your comments are identical to the offseason conversations Leaf fans were having. It seems so logical to have Jumbo down in the line up, but...

And? The comments might seem the same, but that doesn’t mean the outcome will be as well. Q isn’t Keefe. He will juggle lines during certain in-game situations, but outside of that, Thornton will have nowhere near the same TOI percentages like he did in Toronto.

Verhaeghe - Barkov
Huberdeau - Bennett

Thornton is not going to break up either tandem. Regardless of what Toronto fans thought last season.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
His ability to keep a locker room loose helps the down times.

See my post above.

That "looseness" did absolutely nothing for the Leafs. They didn't need a veteran transparently trying to convince them to ignore the incredible pressure and "have fun", they likely needed the opposite of that.

And even if you think that was the right approach, the team didn't listen; They looked anything like they were having fun in game 7, they were paralyzed from anxiety and fear.

Good luck to him in Florida but I doubt he brings anything they need on or off the ice.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

And why is it outside the realm of possibility that Florida learned from Toronto's mistakes? He obviously can't play premium minutes and keep up with the best skaters on the opposing team anymore. So why would Q, a veteran sc winning coach, try it?

Reactions: VijayPatel11

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Bob won a playoff series, once. Is Thornton the only other Panthers player to get past the first round?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad