Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Joe Thornton signs with the Panthers (1 year, $750k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
They did indeed, but they also got themselves the reputation of perennial playoff chokers. Not to the point of Toronto and Florida, but they do belong in the category of teams who have an history of choking in the playoffs. And I don't think I would make a bold statement saying he was in the center of those chokes.

They went to the finals once and the third round like 3 times i think. That's pretty good

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Joe might have something left. He was so misused in Toronto last year I wouldn't use his time here as a reference point.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
A mod deleted my post for what I think is a ridiculous reason, is there some way to contest this?

All I said is that our younger / newer coach probably caved too much giving Thornton too many games and too much time per game in key slots (PP1) and a mod deleted that with a message of "knock it off"

I got the exact same message for posting a picture of John Brown in this thread.
I don't mind being modded, but I'd like a better explanation. And less anonymity in the process.

Of course, this comment will be deleted for talking about the mods.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Itll be fun to revisit this in six months when you’re vying for 32nd place.

I find amusing the fact thay you think that I'm offended by any of your responses. My team just got to the finals unexpectedly and I got to see that for the first time in my life. It was a great run that I'll never forget.

Sure the Panthers might have a chance this year, but it doesn't change my original point which was : Joe Thornton keeps choosing the teams that can't win a single playoffs round in forever.

And for the record, I'd rather the Habs finish 32nd than get bounced out of the playoffs in the first round.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
This signing has to be more about veteran depth based on the salary given to him.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Bennett and Huby worked well together so I`d think Renhart starts with Barkov. Florida has a plethora of C:s, so they have many options. Barkov, Bennett, Reinhart, Lundell, Jumbo, Acciari, Luostarinen, Vatrano

that’s a lot of depth. I’m a Rangers fan and my team is skimpy at center depth yet loaded with wingers and defensemen. Strange, the team had solid wingers then won back to back lotteries to land Kakko and Laf yet both are wings. Nothing of substance at center.

Fla appears awesome to me. I figured they would explode the previous season yet when it didn’t happen they kinda fell off my radar. Boom, what a difference a year makes. Tampa Series was one the best i’ve seen in a decade yet i’m sure Panther fans were frustrated. First two games were tough losses imo.

I think Fla has a legit shot at the Cup this year though. The current Vegas odds are the most opportunistic i think we’ll see b/c i think they’re going to change quickly. Not that i bet but i think Vegas is asleep on the Panthers.

Reactions: 1989

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I have no clue what role Thornton is supposed to have on a NHL team at this point and he's too slow to play in Europe. Maybe in a lower tier division if he loves hockey that much.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I'm not sure what's worse.

Thornton not realize he's done.

Or

Florida not realizing he's done.
Toronto not realizing he was done....
.then Florida.
But you can bet on this. Joe won't be on the first line to start the season. He won't be on the powerplay in the play offs. Like he was on Keefes leafs

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I mean, if you want to go the ancient mentorship route, then why not Chara as a #7/8 guy instead?

As much as Chara is also slow, he can at least c'ear the front of the net and be an effective defender in his own zone with that reach of his

I'm surprised a team is giving thornton a shot, he was pretty bad for the Leafs. So much that it was the one glaring weak ess to exploit for Montreal

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, as long as he only gets 10min per game and is not playing on PP1 they probably will find better use for him than Leafs did. However, I think he's completely done. And I honestly can't believe he's only 42. In that photo he looks like he's 60 or something.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Well, as long as he only gets 10min per game and is not playing on PP1 they probably will find better use for him than Leafs did. However, I think he's completely done. And I honestly can't believe he's only 42. In that photo he looks like he's 60 or something.
For sure.
Lose the stupid looking Moses beard already.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
This is going to sting for panthers fans - I think if it wasn't for Jumbo - we still might have had a chance at round 2

He's really really bad - the most useless leafs player I've seen in the last decade after lebda

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Florida is a super strong team and he’s a depth forward veteran. The first round exit comments are pretty lame since the Panthers are building an obvious strong team
And Jumbo has been to the Finals, Conference finals 3 times, and made it out of the first round for a lot of his career. He only played on the Leafs for one season so I really don’t get the first round exit jokes.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I'm younger than Joe Thornton. That's how old he is.

One potential problem with these type of veteran signings is that the coach could have too much (conscious or subconscious) respect for the player, and give him undeserved ice time. Or undeserved PP time, in this case. Quenneville isn't a noob like Keefe though, but still...

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Joe might have something left. He was so misused in Toronto last year I wouldn't use his time here as a reference point.

Misused?

Dude had every opportunity to succeed, played on the first line, 3rd and fourth. He's a step behind. I love Jumbo but he's toast, can't count the amount of times he killed a play the moment the puck touched his stick.

I love Joe, i hope he succeeds, i hoped he would have in Toronto, but he's just too slow now.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I find amusing the fact thay you think that I'm offended by any of your responses. My team just got to the finals unexpectedly and I got to see that for the first time in my life. It was a great run that I'll never forget.

Sure the Panthers might have a chance this year, but it doesn't change my original point which was : Joe Thornton keeps choosing the teams that can't win a single playoffs round in forever.

And for the record, I'd rather the Habs finish 32nd than get bounced out of the playoffs in the first round.

Then you’ll be thrilled because they’ll be right there at the bottom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad