Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Joe Thornton signs with the Panthers (1 year, $750k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Either he just wants to play hockey or wants another first-round exit. But again, lots of old people retire in Florida. Or he signed with the wrong Florida team.

Mase

Busy being Cupped, thank you very much.
Aug 6, 2010
Holding the blue
You pencil him in on the 3rd line so he can win a FO(sheltered in the offensive zone preferably), and pair him with younger line-mates who can finish(possibly Denisenko, Tippett, or Marchment), and you see what 750K can buy you, and if he doesn't pan-out on the ice, you have a locker-room guy/presence that others will respect, and a Lundell waiting to assume the controls under his guidance.

It's a one-year "throw-away", absolutely nothing to be lost here...in terms of blocking a better option early in the season...and I have no problem with it.

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Like I don't know bout Joe sire viceroy. I've followed his whole career with the sharks... when they went to the stanley cup finals also. Against the pens. Joe did play some very, very poor playoffs before that stanley cup run against the pens. And even then they didn't win. Joe's attitude has not been the greatest by any means for so many seasons. He is not the biggest hero or clutch at all. He ain't speaked the truth neither during so many seasons. That one season when they went to the finals they played hard.
Joe old now, his talk will be fun, joyful, jokes, big macho stuff, some fights, heavy weight and all. Now they'll just have to see how he will mesh with the other group. Usually he makes great friends for life, but never has won anythang. Florida's real hard, OG team might win this time and next season. Even with joe in the stands just talkin bout life. Florida is that hard and good. They don't need Joe at all. His skill or weight. They might need his jokes and joyful dirt at times. He will take the comedian role for surely I can assure you. Now we just have to see if that joker role will give him the cup too. Others, will win it for him. He don't have to do jack dirt sire.

my man on that good good ^^

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
A old geezer, like many of his brethren chooses to retire in Florida. It's like poetry.

In all seriousness Jumbo is both a good and bad player at the same time. Good because from watching him it's clear what made him so good is still in tact. (his passing and general hockey IQ) Bad because his body quit on him a loooooooooong time ago but he refuses to accept that.

I'm not sure if you actually watched him with the Leafs. At no point was I impressed with his playmaking. Absolutely nothing skill wise stuck out as above average with Joe this season. He had a couple of nice weeks playing with elite players but ran out of gas quickly. By the end of the season and into the playoffs he was absolutely terrible and painfully slow. He's just a really, really bad player now. That being said, there is absolutely no risk with this kind of contract. Give him a chance and let him go if it doesn't work out.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I'm not sure if you actually watched him with the Leafs. At no point was I impressed with his playmaking. Absolutely nothing skill wise stuck out as above average with Joe this season. He had a couple of nice weeks playing with elite players but ran out of gas quickly. By the end of the season and into the playoffs he was absolutely terrible and painfully slow. He's just a really, really bad player now. That being said, there is absolutely no risk with this kind of contract. Give him a chance and let him go if it doesn't work out.

Yeah they basically hired Joe to sit by the pool and drink pina coladas, but you can't discount the veteran presence. He's like an extra coach is the way I see it. If he teaches the young guys a few things here and there then he will be worth every penny.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Even worse. Best of luck to you now that you have to play real teams.

No, no. Good luck to you. Your team MIGHT get relevant this year for the first time since 96.

And just for the record, do you think this year Vegas is a real team ? At least they can win something come playoff time, unlike the Panthers and Leafs.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Honestly, if you are going to finish your career as a journeyman (which so many players do), why not pick a spot like Florida? Enjoy the weather, beach and the girls.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
A walking schtick.

The Leafs just got better. Addition by subtraction.

He almost single-handedly cost them the first game in the series against the Habs.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
A mod deleted my post for what I think is a ridiculous reason, is there some way to contest this?

All I said is that our younger / newer coach probably caved too much giving Thornton too many games and too much time per game in key slots (PP1) and a mod deleted that with a message of "knock it off"

Can someone explain what rule was violated here? He was objectively bad in Toronto over the long haul and the entire fanbase is perplexed as to how he managed to stay on our first unit PP right to the bitter end of our first round elimination, especially when other players like Nylander and Kerfoot were showing way more offensive flare

I think Thornton can have a positive impact but you need to be selective in how you deploy him, and that probably also means resting him for some games through the season as well.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Takes 2 to tango.

he wants to continue playing.

a team is interested.

Match made. 750k is low and manageable and literally a risk free move.

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
I mean, if you want to go the ancient mentorship route, then why not Chara as a #7/8 guy instead?

Reactions: abo9

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
You pencil him in on the 3rd line so he can win a FO(sheltered in the offensive zone preferably), and pair him with younger line-mates who can finish(possibly Denisenko, Tippett, or Marchment), and you see what 750K can buy you, and if he doesn't pan-out on the ice, you have a locker-room guy/presence that others will respect, and a Lundell waiting to assume the controls under his guidance.

It's a one-year "throw-away", absolutely nothing to be lost here...in terms of blocking a better option early in the season...and I have no problem with it.

They have 3 better centers what Thornton for their 3rd line

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
wouldn't Reinhart be the #2 center?

Bennett and Huby worked well together so I`d think Renhart starts with Barkov. Florida has a plethora of C:s, so they have many options. Barkov, Bennett, Reinhart, Lundell, Jumbo, Acciari, Luostarinen, Vatrano

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
No, no. Good luck to you. Your team MIGHT get relevant this year for the first time since 96.

And just for the record, do you think this year Vegas is a real team ? At least they can win something come playoff time, unlike the Panthers and Leafs.

Itll be fun to revisit this in six months when you’re vying for 32nd place.

Reactions: Vilam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad