Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Joe Thornton signs with the Panthers (1 year, $750k)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Well, as of now Florida should be looked at as a contender. They were pretty good already last year even without Ekblad. With better goalies they could have won the series against Tampa. And now they have added Reinhart and Montour. They are pretty stacked:

Verhaeghe - Barkov - Reinhart
Huberdeau - Bennett - Duclair
Vatrano - Lundell - Tippett
Marchment - Acciari - Hornqvist

Thornton, Luostarinen

Weegar - Ekblad
Nutivaara - Montour
Forsling - Gudas
Juulsen

Knight
Bobrovsky

wouldn't Reinhart be the #2 center?

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
People get upset about team’s giving Thornton a league minimum contract but he had 20 pts in 44 games while Getzlaf had 17 pts in 48 games and signed for 4.5 million next year. Yes I understand that Jumbo played with great teammates on the Leafs but you can’t tell me he’s not worth 750k if Getzlaf gets 4.5 Million.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Good for Joe. I'm sure he'll have a great year playing in Florida, chilling with the young guns, and enjoying the sun. He might even get to play in a few Panthers games.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Why do teams still offer him a contract? It's certainly not for his winning pedigree and leadership.
Leafs were looking for the leadership. We all know how that went, but maybe he's still one of the league's great locker room presences. 750k for some laughs to try and loosen Bobrovsky up a little or something.

Reactions: Holy Slapshot

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
I mean for a possible 5th center/injury depth we have seen worse.

750k for vet presence for the young guys sounds good to me.

Reactions: JP Mick

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Reminds me of how Udonis Haslem keeps getting contracts with the Heat even though he hasn’t played in anymore than 16 games in a season in 5 years and only played in 1 game last year (though due to his loyalty I don’t see why he doesn’t at least play garbage time :dunno:). Seems he’ll be more of a coach than an actual player

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
I don't get this. Isn't 750 a bit steep for locker room joker? Apparently he isn't able to bring anything more, Panthers team is looking super stacked, they don't even need "mentor" anymore as the core is there together for sevaral years now... Why the hell?
Did you not see what we were paying Yandle? 750k is nothing lmao.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
i didn't realize this was his schtick.

could be that zito wanted to bring someone in to replace yandle in that regard, but pay absolute minimum and not have to depend on him for anything else barring injuries or major wash outs (like lundell).
I remember when Hertl scored his 4 goal game and took a lot of heat for that last goal. The comments Thornton made were polarizing but clearly done to divert some of the criticism from an excited rookie. He seems to have a great grasp between being a young player and how the media will run with anything.

Reactions: zeroG

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
At least you can bury him if needed, he’s not really that good anymore. Cheap depth though, maybe he proves everyone wrong.

Great character guy though, just the skill isn’t there.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad