Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It's very similar t
To a child maybe.

Did the London Police charge off on a half cocked crusade in the days following the events?
No they tipped off the accused and dropped the investigation like a hot potato when the complainant suspiciously recanted .

Has the prosecutor been on a massively public PR campaign, expressing his belief that the accused are guilty?
No. Who's the prosecutor?

Were the names of the accused released in the days/weeks immediately proceeding the event?
No. It's 6 years later and the names haven't been released

Has the prosecutor/police put their thumb on the scale via blatant poor practice to help the victim/accuser identify the accused? Is there any doubt that the sexual acts took place, if so, who did them?
No.

Has the prosecutor tampered with/ solicited the tampering of evidence?
Unknown- are you making that charge?

Do you think the prosecutor is going to be disbarred and charged for unethical conduct in a clear witch hunt?

Last edited:

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
That's... not how it works. Do you have a source indicating all of the court evidence indicates if/when she gave consent?

It's not on others to disprove your statement - it's on YOU to PROVE your statement. That's how arguing works.
That's... not what happened. I will admit that I should have added "that I have seen" to my statement regarding the evidence. But someone claiming that my representation of the facts is demonstrably false when they haven't seen the evidence either is silly.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

She stated multiple times that this was consensual and that she was sober. I'm not saying that what these dudes did was right in any way, and as far as I'm concerned, it's pure degeneracy. But that doesn't make it illegal. We are rapidly approaching the edge of a very slippery slope.
You're citing what amounts to a blog with questionable sources.

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
The fact that they felt compelled to film her before and after is gross. They definitely felt like what they were doing is wrong.
High profile athletes are coached to do this kind of thing. It's a CYA technique intended to help them avoid situations exactly like this. That being said, yes, it's gross. It would be far better if this type of behavior never happened. But just because it's gross doesn't mean they should go to jail. That requires a far higher burden of proof, and I would argue that the evidence we currently have access to is more than enough to create reasonable doubt.

Reactions: HBK27

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
High profile athletes are coached to do this kind of thing. It's a CYA technique intended to help them avoid situations exactly like this. That being said, yes, it's gross. It would be far better if this type of behavior never happened. But just because it's gross doesn't mean they should go to jail. That requires a far higher burden of proof, and I would argue that the evidence we currently have access to is more than enough to create reasonable doubt.
Yeah, it's standard operating procedure for the police/prosecution to show every single piece of evidence they have to the public before the court case even begins.

You're right, we've seen all the evidence there is, so clearly reasonable doubt.

Dec 15, 2002
When people ask "why don't women come forward when they get sexually assaulted," this thread is a perfect example of why: because way too many people instantly refuse to believe them because this one time, at band camp, someone made an accusation but it was totally false, and so this one could just as easily be false as well - I need to see real, complete, total proof before I decide whether to believe this claim.

It's very similar the Duke team had a party and hired a stripper and later 3 players were accused of sexual assault. 2018 team Canada had a party and invited women and who knows what happened maybe nothing or maybe alot. The fantastic lies proved that the stripper lied and the same maybe happened here too. I don't know what happened, but they're innocent until proven guilty.

Oh, I know - I'M NOT SAYING SHE MADE IT UP. But it's exactly this kind of equivocating bullshit that causes women who are sexually assaulted to not come forward - because well, maybe it happened but maybe there's also a chance it didn't, so I'm not sure whether we should really believe you is the implied message. And when that turns into demands of proof at ever-increasing levels to be believed or get labeled as you're a piece of shit scumbag lying whore, women choose to stay silent and protect themselves from further abuse from strangers.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place

Part of me thinks whoever the first guy was that took her home was just finished fooling around with her and then the other guys came home from the bar and knocked on his hotel room to play a joke on him or something or they were passing by in some fashion and he invited them in and then it become just a really weird situation after that.
Your honor, I may have raped her, but I was only there to do a prank.

Reactions: stlwahoo

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
That's... not what happened. I will admit that I should have added "that I have seen" to my statement regarding the evidence. But someone claiming that my representation of the facts is demonstrably false when they haven't seen the evidence either is silly.
But claiming that your representation of the facts is demonstrably true is silly as well.

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
You're citing what amounts to a blog with questionable sources.
ahh, I was wondering why my post got deleted.
However the things they mention really make this case wide open.

But claiming that your representation of the facts is demonstrably true is silly as well.
Its pretty clear this isn't as cut and dry as I thought it was based on the assumption of events I previously had.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Oh, I know - I'M NOT SAYING SHE MADE IT UP. But it's exactly this kind of equivocating bullshit that causes women who are sexually assaulted to not come forward - because well, maybe it happened but maybe there's also a chance it didn't, so I'm not sure whether we should really believe you is the implied message. And when that turns into demands of proof at ever-increasing levels to be believed or get labeled as you're a piece of shit scumbag lying whore, women choose to stay silent and protect themselves from further abuse from strangers.

So...we should just believe all women and never question any accusations even though we know at least a small percentage of the time that there are indeed false accusations?

Not sure what you're getting at and why you're getting so worked up about a seemingly civilized conversation on a hockey message board.

Reactions: 1909

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I feel like the players actually hurt their case by recording her saying she consents. This could easily be a he said she said thing. At the bare minimum the players look weird and deviant
The players are going to look weird and deviant if this ever came out as they just had group sex gangbang style. And the majority of the population finds that to be deviant behaviour:

Once there names are outted they are going to be leopards and
villains to 66% of the population.

What they may not or probably won’t see is Jail time due to those phone videos …..

In hindsight;

1) probably good they took the videos for their defence
2) Doesn’t matter they are F****D either way! They should have played video games 🎮 instead!

• Wow
Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

MunKay

Jul 13, 2022
Vancouver, BC
Question? Why did the investigation take over 5 years?

To be frank, I cannot really answer that question because I wouldn’t know the details of the investigation (not that any Police Officer would disclose if they did).

Could be a plethora of reasons. How was the first incident reported? Who took the report? When did an investigative unit take conduct? Was it multi-jurisdictional to begin with? Perhaps there were legal or investigative oversight at some point. We won’t ever know until it becomes public one day.

What I can say for sure is that due to the amount of people involved, nature of the allegation and the public interest, the investigation would have absolutely been treated with the utmost seriousness. I have a lot of faith in Canadian Police officers, proud of them and proud to be among them.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Problem in these kind of cases is always that accused person(s) are already quilty, no matter what is truth. I mean, in eyes of public. Aleays there isnsome doubt afterward in people's eyes.

These court cases should always...always be fully behind the scenes without names, without anything. Only final conviction should be public. Accusong publicly someone for such crimes should be illegal. You talk to police, you talk to court. You talk public with court sentence.

Thats all, nothing about this specific case.

edit. To continue, only if there is a real risk that person continues the crimes while waitomg the court decosiom, it should lead to actions elsewhere and any publicity.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Once there names are outted they are going to be leopards and
villains to 66% of the population.

Tying together a few things in the thread.

1706210204995.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad