Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
That's not what allegedly happened, and I think you should probably read some of the reporting about this case before brazenly equating it to other things that you're probably not all that familiar with either.
I admit I don't know much of what happened, noone does on February 5th there will be a press conference and that's when there will be something to talk about instead of just speculation.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Thanks for your accounting of the non facts and one sided review of the situation.

It was very non useful….
Feel free to disprove anything in that post and try to draw any parallel between what has transpired/what is known in this case and what happened at Duke beyond the barebones of "athletes accused of sexual assault in group sex situation"

Reactions: AzHawk
Dec 15, 2002
Huh? Why don't you just clarify your point then instead of this weird statement? You're making even less sense now.
Real simple, since apparently you're unable to read: if you're going to reference any prior instance where some female made up a claim, have the balls to just come out and say "yeah, I think this bitch is lying too." Otherwise, STFU about someone else lying in some past instance because that has no bearing on whether this incident really did occur or not.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
1706214484767.png

A lot of the comments in here make a lot more sense when you realize that today is literally opposite day......

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think you're downplaying the likelihood of this happening. When I was in my late teens and early 20's, there was a girl who worked with the group of people I hung around with. Her nickname was "the predator" because she would sneak into the bedrooms of passed out guys and have sex with them. After it happened several times, we started watching out for each other and making sure she was never left alone with a passed-out buddy.

It makes me a little sick to my stomach, thinking about it now. Even her victims joked about it, but what happened was absolutely rape. And the only consequences she ever suffered was that no good guys would consider dating her.
That sounds horrible and I feel for you and your friends having to deal with that. I think many of us have, or know people who have, experienced unpleasant experiences with so call “bunny boilers”.

However, that aside, I bet most of us could count on one hand the number of stories they’ve heard along the lines of what you’ve described. Not saying it didn’t happen, only that it seems like a really rare and unfortunate situation.

On the other hand, give me access to a decent public library that has access to newspapers across the USA and I bet I could find dozens of stories of women being raped by scumbag men. And I do mean dozens per day. It’s not rare at all and that is a disgrace.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Or

They had a feeling that this has the potential to be hurricane of an Internet storm if she were to recant her consent.

And in these times of " get the best are and cut his balls off mentality"..... it may be wise to have some proof in real time video.

Meh she said the next morning she wasn't ok with it. Leads me to believe he never even asked her, so that is why it was recorded. I mean the facts and decision will come out at some point, but it looks awful for the players. The guys look like a bench of scum.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The reason why I would disagree with that is because the situation I describe compares two people who really are equals in the situation, and far from being a rare case, it's probably the single most common one on American campuses. Part of gender equality means shedding the double standard that sex is only for men to enjoy and only for women to provide access to.

And let me be crystal clear, I am not talking about cases like Brock Turner. Only a very poorly worded California law -- one that was changed immediately after -- prevented him from receiving a much larger sentence. Just to add another case to my "it REALLY IS important how a law is worded" pile.
I do understand and don’t disagree. Two very drunk people have sex - is it fair that one gender is going to be unfairly targeted as being the aggressor if things go wrong and the other person regrets a drunk decision? No it is not - again assuming everything was as consensual as a drunk agreement can be.

But it’s not a fair world. And as it relates to this, the fact that men overwhelmingly are the aggressors in rape cases and women get raped on a regular basis in the US every day —- well, tough shit fellow hombres. We have to be aware of that and have to be cleaner than clean if we want to avoid the risk of being unfairly accused. Hell, most women who are raped are not believed or are somehow left to believe they somehow asked for it.

And speaking for myself as a white male, it’d be pretty soft of me to whine about that. The privileges I was born with (and did absolutely nothing to earn) are plenty. If one of the “burdens” I have to bear is to have to be extra careful about having sex when with a drunk girl, so be it.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I think you're downplaying the likelihood of this happening. When I was in my late teens and early 20's, there was a girl who worked with the group of people I hung around with. Her nickname was "the predator" because she would sneak into the bedrooms of passed out guys and have sex with them. After it happened several times, we started watching out for each other and making sure she was never left alone with a passed-out buddy.

It makes me a little sick to my stomach, thinking about it now. Even her victims joked about it, but what happened was absolutely rape. And the only consequences she ever suffered was that no good guys would consider dating her.

That's the problem though. People are afraid to report these things. That should absolutely been reported the first time it happened. Men feel embarrassed to often to report it. Look at Beach. It is a societal thing that needs to change.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Real simple, since apparently you're unable to read: if you're going to reference any prior instance where some female made up a claim, have the balls to just come out and say "yeah, I think this bitch is lying too." Otherwise, STFU about someone else lying in some past instance because that has no bearing on whether this incident really did occur or not.

The other poster that you originally quoted specifically said they did not know what happened that night. Likewise, I have also stated that I do not know what happened that night. Hopefully the pending trial will shed better light.

You somehow concluding that if anyone dare mention that false accusations are real when discussing this case must thereby mean that they believe the alleged victim is lying is not only illogical, but borderline insane way of thinking.

It is one of several possibilities that are still on the table. Right now, I personally do not believe that to be the case, but I'm also not completely ruling it out.

Getting extra snarky and aggressive in your response is completely unnecessary.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
3 names haven’t been out since day 1.
What is your day 1.
Don’t list names btw, just when was day 1.
I thought i was in the clear before, but i guess it got deleted, not vague enough, by mid June of 2022, 3 of the names were tied to it

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Her saying it’s consensual on video means little IMO as there is a strong likelihood she was under duress. People have lied their ass off when they’ve thought themselves in danger. Recording multiple times is shady in itself. They knew they were doing something wrong and running a risk
Yup. Literally what else would she say if she felt she was in danger.

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
3 names haven’t been out since day 1.
What is your day 1.
Don’t list names btw, just when was day 1.
for me 24 hours after the news first broke 3 names were mentioned right away and according to the rules that are strictly being enforced we can not talk about them. This was not just on this discussion site. I suspect that some of the media knew the names as when they mentioned who played on the team? The 3 names always got mentioned. If you can find the historic videos on youtube--3 names were mentioned right away and as the investigation continued the same 3 names kept on coming up.

I personally believe that 1 of the 5 has been dealing with the police for awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad