Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Could be a plethora of reasons. How was the first incident reported? Who took the report? When did an investigative unit take conduct? Was it multi-jurisdictional to begin with? Perhaps there were legal or investigative oversight at some point. We won’t ever know until it becomes public one day.
A lot of this is already public.

Was reported to London Police with days (I think the next). Somehow the accused were almost immediately notified. Accused subsequently badgered EM into withdrawing the complaint/ not cooperating. Investigation bottom drawered until enough time had passed to close it.

It was re-opened in 2022 after the story around the civil settlement went public.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Couldn't agree more. The wonder of the Grilled Cheese™ is that it's simply a cheese sandwich that's grilled.

Throwing in ham and apples and whatnot taints the purity and simplicity of the Grilled Cheese™
I've never actually grilled a grilled cheese before. Usually I use a skillet, or in extreme circumstances, a magnifying glass and whatever that fiery ball in the sky that I pray to is called.

I wonder how many people have ever actually grilled a grilled cheese. There have probably been hundreds, if not dozens, of people throughout world history, but I doubt anyone has ever actually put a grilled cheese on a grill

archangel2

May 19, 2019
T

Once there names are outted they are going to be leopards and
villains to 66% of the population.

2) Doesn’t matter they are F****D either way! They should have played video games 🎮 instead!
the names are out there and 3 of the names have been out since day one

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
That's... not what happened. I will admit that I should have added "that I have seen" to my statement regarding the evidence. But someone claiming that my representation of the facts is demonstrably false when they haven't seen the evidence either is silly.

You stating all evidence points that she consented is demonstrably false because you have seen no evidence. You are stating as fact something that has no basis in fact.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You can't tell me what I can or cannot "waste my time" to argue, dude. I know what the actual law is on this. So, feel free to find me the law that says if someone willingly gets drunk out of their mind, and jumps into bed with someone, that this constitutes rape.

Ah, some random ambulance chaser is your source. Got it. And that's a weird leap to go from "can't consent" to "rape." You're trying to twist the argument for some bizarre reason.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Ah, some random ambulance chaser is your source. Got it. And that's a weird leap to go from "can't consent" to "rape." You're trying to twist the argument for some bizarre reason.
I have no clue WTF you're talking about. Like I said before, then anyone can cry rape to get back at someone if they want revenge for whatever reason. Think of how this could end up. No one would dare to drink with someone before sex or face possible rape charges. It's asinine. And I highly doubt a lawyer would state that on their public website without some basis. Seriously, get a grip. And no "bizarre" reason. If she did not consent as per the law, and they had their way with her, they deserve to get nailed to the wall.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I've never actually grilled a grilled cheese before. Usually I use a skillet, or in extreme circumstances, a magnifying glass and whatever that fiery ball in the sky that I pray to is called.

I wonder how many people have ever actually grilled a grilled cheese. There have probably been hundreds, if not dozens, of people throughout world history, but I doubt anyone has ever actually put a grilled cheese on a grill
While I do understand and appreciate your premise, I think that it's fair to call a cheese sandwich made on a flat pan/griddle as "grilled". I personally make mine in a square griddle.

I used to make them on an outdoor grill at my old place, but I do prefer a griddle, FWIW.

LGBlues

Feb 25, 2014
The players are going to look weird and deviant if this ever came out as they just had group sex gangbang style. And the majority of the population finds that to be deviant behaviour:

What they may not or probably won’t see is Jail time due to those phone videos …..

In hindsight;

1) probably good they took the videos for their defence
2) Doesn’t matter they are F****D either way! They should have played video games 🎮 instead!
It was deviant and they are toast regardless of legal outcome.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Probably the last day the players can surrender before arrest warrants go out for them.

This tracks cause Rick Westhead quoted a lawyer saying that it's usually 1-2 weeks where non violent suspects have to surrender with cases like this

Problem in these kind of cases is always that accused person(s) are already quilty, no matter what is truth. I mean, in eyes of public. Aleays there isnsome doubt afterward in people's eyes.

These court cases should always...always be fully behind the scenes without names, without anything. Only final conviction should be public. Accusong publicly someone for such crimes should be illegal. You talk to police, you talk to court. You talk public with court sentence.

Thats all, nothing about this specific case.

edit. To continue, only if there is a real risk that person continues the crimes while waitomg the court decosiom, it should lead to actions elsewhere and any publicity.

I think regardless in today's social media age that if these guys just went missing from their teams + they were known to be on that 2018 team it would raise eyebrows, even in the older days people would connect the dots.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
giphy.gif

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
So what would you call non-consensual sex?
Not what I'm saying. I'm saying that most agree she probably wasn't capable of consenting, because she was intoxicated. That poster is leaping to "show me the law that says drunk sex = rape." That's just a bizarre leap. Given their "source" and statement that they "know the law as a former nightclub doorman", I just find their comments to be strange and dishonest.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As someone who lived in London, Ontario for 5 years, I find this story surreal to follow. I went to the bar where they met up too many times to count. I will say, that bar was infamous for cheap drinks, was filled with students from UWO and Fanshaw, and was known to be filled with people hammered out of their minds. So, a girl getting picked up there and being too hammered to consent wouldn't exactly shock me, but I guess we will see what happens if it makes it to trial.

MunKay

Jul 13, 2022
Vancouver, BC
A lot of this is already public.

Was reported to London Police with days (I think the next). Somehow the accused were almost immediately notified. Accused subsequently badgered EM into withdrawing the complaint/ not cooperating. Investigation bottom drawered until enough time had passed to close it.

It was re-opened in 2022 after the story around the civil settlement went public.
Ah I see. I don’t know too much about what’s going on with this. Been busy with my own stuff haha.

Dec 15, 2002
Not sure what you're getting at and why you're getting so worked up about a seemingly civilized conversation on a hockey message board.
Not sure what makes you think you're qualified to know what I think, but I suggest you pursue that line of thinking and find out how disastrously wrong you really are.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
As someone who lived in London, Ontario for 5 years, I find this story surreal to follow. I went to the bar where they met up too many times to count. I will say, that bar was infamous for cheap drinks, was filled with students from UWO and Fanshaw, and was known to be filled with people hammered out of their minds. So, a girl getting picked up there and being too hammered to consent wouldn't exactly shock me, but I guess we will see what happens if it makes it to trial.

The issue isn't her getting picked up, she apparently liked the first guy enough and had sex back at the hotel with him according to the Athletic article. The issue is what happened after the first sexual encounter.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Not sure what makes you think you're qualified to know what I think, but I suggest you pursue that line of thinking and find out how disastrously wrong you really are.

Huh? Why don't you just clarify your point then instead of this weird statement? You're making even less sense now.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
To a child maybe.

Did the London Police charge off on a half cocked crusade in the days following the events?
No they tipped off the accused and dropped the investigation like a hot potato when the complainant suspiciously recanted .

Has the prosecutor been on a massively public PR campaign, expressing his belief that the accused are guilty?
No. Who's the prosecutor?

Were the names of the accused released in the days/weeks immediately proceeding the event?
No. It's 6 years later and the names haven't been released

Has the prosecutor/police put their thumb on the scale via blatant poor practice to help the victim/accuser identify the accused? Is there any doubt that the sexual acts took place, if so, who did them?
No.

Has the prosecutor tampered with/ solicited the tampering of evidence?
Unknown- are you making that charge?

Do you think the prosecutor is going to be disbarred and charged for unethical conduct in a clear witch hunt?
Thanks for your accounting of the non facts and one sided review of the situation.

It was very non useful….

Reactions: Ted Hoffman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad