Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Read this thread, then come back and try saying that again.
There are always extreme takes. I guess I meant the overall majority. Anyone who outright discounts someone saying they've been assaulted, is just as wrong as those who have already convicted an accused. IMO.

There is no rape charge in Canada, it’s 3 levels of sexual assault.

Not sure which level they will be charged with.
Thanks for the clarification. I would assume the definition of rape falls within one of those 3 levels.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Forgive my ignorance but I don’t understand why some are so upset with the Salt Lake City thing being announced at the same time as this? I don’t see how it’s connected and I don’t think there’s some conspiracy of “Oh we have a big controversy… look over here instead!” There’s been lots of controversies in the history of the sport and I don’t recall the NHL being like “Hmm let’s create a new team to solve the problem”
They’ve been in discussions since 2022 and it conveniently comes out as soon as this sexual assault thing happens…. come on

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
We have reports of evidence. I haven't personally seen the videos, but we have transcripts of the video and the texts. If you want to ignore all that and use pure speculation to convict them before there's even a trial, go right ahead, but don't pretend you have some moral high ground here.
See my post earlier in this thread - presumption of innocence is everything and I’ll assume they are innocent until such time as they are found guilty. That’s a different discussion. You, on the other hand, appear to be on some MRA crusade to dismiss the complainant’s claims based on a faulty understanding of consent.

Reactions: AzHawk

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
This article does not directly link the five players to the five as-yet unconfirmed players.

You’re actually making a great point for our policy because you’re proving that people won’t be able to handle the distinction.

You’re even responding to my specific response to this (which is still true in the link you provide here) so I’m not sure what you think is different here.

I’ve read this article two dozen times because people keep sending it to me as “proof” and I’m hoping they added something to the article, but nope. Sane article. Same implied connection but not stated. The article is having you make the conclusion. The article does not present the conclusion.

Stop sending me this same article, folks.

It's amazing and frankly depressing that people can't seem to understand that distinction between what is a confirmed fact versus what is A + B looks like probably C.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I feel like the players actually hurt their case by recording her saying she consents. This could easily be a he said she said thing. At the bare minimum the players look weird and deviant

I'm sure at the slightest that video gets used in court for proving the same thing.

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
Yeaaah... to all the "they could be innocent" people; how often do you invite your whole team over when you hook up with a girl?

The first thing that pops up in those reports are her words along the lines of "I was ok with you, but not with all your buds coming over".

If this case would be nothing, or super unclear, we would not see these players dropping out. No doubt Hockey Canada has saved peoples careers in the past with their rape fund.

They can't save these "kids". It's over.
This is it. A lot of people seem to be missing the part where she clearly stated that she didn't "know" nor did she authorize the extra 7 to join them at the hotel room. She authorized 1, and that 1 took the consent to mean that he could call up almost half of team Canada to join in.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There are always extreme takes. I guess I meant the overall majority. Anyone who outright discounts someone saying they've been assaulted, is just as wrong as those who have already convicted an accused. IMO.

Thanks for the clarification. I would assume the definition of rape falls within one of those 3 levels.
Looks like likely level 1, sexual assault in Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: LesCanadiens

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
I feel like the players actually hurt their case by recording her saying she consents. This could easily be a he said she said thing. At the bare minimum the players look weird and deviant
It's not the players, it's the same player that called over his buddies to participate in the gang bang. It definitely looks like he knew he didn't get her consent before them getting there, so he thought if he could get her to say it on video after it happened that he would be safe.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
So February 5th the London Police are holding a press conference about this. Are they going to just be like "players X , Y , and Z are goofs" or will it just be more of the same ambiguous statements?

My question is -
Why Feb 5th? Why not when they are all in custody? This continues to stink as a CYA for all involved.

Damn... just speculated! Sorry

Dec 15, 2002
There are always extreme takes. I guess I meant the overall majority.
I don't know if it's the overall majority, I'm not keeping count or doing a poll. The fact that anyone is doing it is already problematic; the fact that people are excusing what happened because "there's a video that says she gave consent" as if that's completely accurate, all the evidence we need to know and there's no other context needed, is really problematic.

Then there's every WELWADABOUTDADUKLACROSGUYZ remark, which is a thinly veiled "this female could be lying too" shot.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I feel like the players actually hurt their case by recording her saying she consents.
Who the recording will help comes down to its tone and how it will interpreted by a jury-

An enthusiastic participant's sassy and spirited re-expression of consent
or
A visibly traumatized/ intoxicated young woman's stumbling attempted placation

All the public has to go on is a media report that the police documents refer to wiping eyes and slurring words, and that the police have the video and players have still been ordered to surrender.

Reactions: AzHawk and HBK27

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
They’ve been in discussions since 2022 and it conveniently comes out as soon as this sexual assault thing happens…. come on
The NHL messed up thinking that we’re dummies who will forget about rape accusations because they’re thinking about over-expansion. If anything, they connected the two. I’ll aways think of the Utah expansion as a pathetic ploy to avoid the discussion of rape.

Reactions: CanMerc

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
You people are stepping away from the greatness of a grilled cheese sandwich. Two slices of American cheese, one slice of cheddar. White bread or potato bread. Cooked in butter. That’s it. Nothing more.
Couldn't agree more. The wonder of the Grilled Cheese™ is that it's simply a cheese sandwich that's grilled.

Throwing in ham and apples and whatnot taints the purity and simplicity of the Grilled Cheese™

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
There is almost no similarity to the Duke case beyond those two very general points.
It's very similar the Duke team had a party and hired a stripper and later 3 players were accused of sexual assault. 2018 team Canada had a party and invited women and who knows what happened maybe nothing or maybe alot. The fantastic lies proved that the stripper lied and the same maybe happened here too. I don't know what happened, but they're innocent until proven guilty.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
It's very similar the Duke team had a party and hired a stripper and later 3 players were accused of sexual assault. 2018 team Canada had a party and invited women and who knows what happened maybe nothing or maybe alot. The fantastic lies proved that the stripper lied and the same maybe happened here too. I don't know what happened, but they're innocent until proven guilty.

That's not what allegedly happened, and I think you should probably read some of the reporting about this case before brazenly equating it to other things that you're probably not all that familiar with either.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
The fact that they felt compelled to film her before and after is gross. They definitely felt like what they were doing is wrong.
Or

They had a feeling that this has the potential to be hurricane of an Internet storm if she were to recant her consent.

And in these times of " get the best are and cut his balls off mentality"..... it may be wise to have some proof in real time video.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
It's been 24 hrs and I see that the self proclaimed internet legal experts are still at it.

1000055741.gif

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Maybe because they were given until Friday Feb 2 to report, we have no idea really.
Legal analyst mentioned under these types of cases 2 weeks is average for a reporting deadline. Travel, retaining counsel, personal arrangements, etc. It is fair to give them the anonymity until they are officially booked and given court directives. The perp walk into the police station will be a media zoo.
Hockey obsession cuts both ways.

Reactions: MXD and Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad