Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
I can’t believe there are people in here arguing that it’s perfectly normal to get (drunk) women on camera to say that the (gang) sex they just had was definitely consensual.
I don't think anyone is arguing that. The argument is that she stated she was sober on video, so if we take her at her word, her consent is legitimate. My argument is that retroactively retracting it later would be wrong.

If it can be proven that they knew (or should have known) that she was drunk, then all this goes out the window and they should all be in jail. Unless of course they were drunk too, which means they couldn't consent, which means she should be in jail too! What a disaster...

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
So February 5th the London Police are holding a press conference about this. Are they going to just be like "players X , Y , and Z are goofs" or will it just be more of the same ambiguous statements?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
At this point the passed out thing and the video of consent thing are just stories, no one knows what is real.

I mean, yeah...nobody here really knows what actually happened that night.

But there are a few stories written by reputable sources and I don't believe that any of them (at least to my knowledge) suggested that she had passed out that night.

That would be a clear game changer as it would definitely show that she could not consent.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
Yeaaah... to all the "they could be innocent" people; how often do you invite your whole team over when you hook up with a girl?

The first thing that pops up in those reports are her words along the lines of "I was ok with you, but not with all your buds coming over".

If this case would be nothing, or super unclear, we would not see these players dropping out. No doubt Hockey Canada has saved peoples careers in the past with their rape fund.

They can't save these "kids". It's over.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So February 5th the London Police are holding a press conference about this. Are they going to just be like "player X , Y , and Z are goofs" or will it just be more of the same ambiguous statements?

Given they have asked 5 players to surrender, I think the press conference will include player names and the charges that are being brought against them.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Have you? So how can you claim that I'm wrong?

wow that is a bold take.

Ok let me clarify. You haven't seen any of the evidence so you have no idea what you're talking about when you say all the evidence points to that she consented. You're putting forth your opinion based on zero evidence and stating it as fact.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This article does not directly link the five players to the five as-yet unconfirmed players.

You’re actually making a great point for our policy because you’re proving that people won’t be able to handle the distinction.

You’re even responding to my specific response to this (which is still true in the link you provide here) so I’m not sure what you think is different here.

I’ve read this article two dozen times because people keep sending it to me as “proof” and I’m hoping they added something to the article, but nope. Sane article. Same implied connection but not stated. The article is having you make the conclusion. The article does not present the conclusion.

Stop sending me this same article, folks.
What if I send it in a different format, like PDF?

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
What could that evidence be? All I can think of is someone who was there acts as a witness against their teammates.

I imagine it's either that or possible some texts that make the 5 look bad, where as the other 3 don't have "documented evidence" against them? I'm not sure. It's a weird situation.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Extra sharp cheddar
Honey ham
Granny smith apple
Real maple syrup
Crusty bread

Now that's a quality grilled cheese
You people are stepping away from the greatness of a grilled cheese sandwich. Two slices of American cheese, one slice of cheddar. White bread or potato bread. Cooked in butter. That’s it. Nothing more.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That's likely the very key point. If you bang someone who so incapacitated, they CANNOT consent. Then it IS rape. And if that's what the evidence shows, then a conviction is more than likely. And well deserved, IMO.
There is no rape charge in Canada, it’s 3 levels of sexual assault.

Not sure which level they will be charged with.

Reactions: LesCanadiens
Dec 15, 2002
I can’t believe there are people in here arguing that it’s perfectly normal to get (drunk) women on camera to say that the (gang) sex they just had was definitely consensual.
Considering some of the bizarre positions people have taken wrt various hockey plays over the years, I absolutely can. If anything, I'm surprised there's not more people arguing it's perfectly normal if not acceptable.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The whole thing is a messed up situation and I still don't understand the allure or motivation of the original player inviting other players into the room, let alone what was going on even if the alleged victim did consent to it. Is it possible that she felt pressured to go further than she was comfortable with by a combination of alcohol clouding her judgement and intimidation (whether intended or not) by the players and some of them may not have realized she was uncomfortable with what was happening? I would like to believe that maybe that was the case versus several players knowingly sexually assaulting someone as others also observed it, but who knows. Hopefully the court system in Canada can get to the bottom of it and justice is served.

Part of me thinks whoever the first guy was that took her home was just finished fooling around with her and then the other guys came home from the bar and knocked on his hotel room to play a joke on him or something or they were passing by in some fashion and he invited them in and then it become just a really weird situation after that.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I feel like the players actually hurt their case by recording her saying she consents. This could easily be a he said she said thing. At the bare minimum the players look weird and deviant

Reactions: AzHawk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad