Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The media coverage is already wild and we haven’t even seen a trial date set yet lol. This is gonna be Canada’s version of the OJ trial. It’s gonna be an absolute circus.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
The media coverage is already wild and we haven’t even seen a trial date set yet lol. This is gonna be Canada’s version of the OJ trial. It’s gonna be an absolute circus.
Maybe a rhyming catchphrase will come out of it and racial tensions will be exploited. They say history repeats itself

Reactions: The Electrician

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
So you'd rather a woman was assaulted than that she wasn't assaulted and made untrue accusations?

I'm pretty sure that the reason sexual assault is judged harshly is because it is extremely painful and damaging to the person it occurred to. I wouldn't want that for anyone.

The fact that THIS is the first thought experiment you think of that you want to openly share online when a story about 5 hockey players allegedly sexually assaulting a young female is beyond disturbing...

Maybe take a break from the internet for a while mate. It doesn't seem to need you at this moment for this story. I can promise you that your twisted logic here won't be missed, nor would it contribute to anything beneficial here beyond recognizing that there are indeed ****ed up people who think like this out there.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
For the idiots who keep repeating this claim as though its disposative, the number of accusations proven false is between 2 and 10%. That figure only includes claims that were clearly proven to be false and not claims which could not be adjudicated either way. Conversely, only between 5 and 10% of accusations result in convictions (I.e., proven to be clearly true). Virtually identical. The great majority are indetermined. That's just the reality because these things tend to happen in private.
I find that the bar for your stats is quite uneven. I seriously doubt that 2-10% of accusations are "proven" false beyond a reasonable doubt, whereas convictions are proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

In reality, less than 5% of allegations are deemed to be false, with 95% of allegations being true, but only a fraction of them currently overcoming the "beyond a reasonable doubt" part. This means that a vast majority of women who are sexually assaulted never see justice.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
The team 100% needs to face a suspension from international competition. Absolutely indefensible behavior from the players, to the adult chaperone (“M.M.”), all the way to the top of the organization.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
The players don't have to reasonably prove that the consent was without coercion.

The burden of proof is on the prosecutors to prove that it was coerced, or prove that she wanted to leave and wasn't allowed.

This is going to be difficult to prove. That was all I was saying.

If I was a betting man, I would bet that this case results in a "not guilty" verdict. And yes, I know that is different than "they are innocent".

We will see. :)
So what you're saying is that rapists around the world have missed the boat, all they have to do is film 6-second videos coercing the victim to say "it was ok with her" after their deed is done to almost make sure they won't be convicted?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Canadian trials aren't televised.
Very true. Unless parties consent and the judge grants access but that rarely happens and surely wouldn’t in the case.

I meant more that there’s going to be a lot of public interest which means there’s going to be a lot of media covering every aspect of the story and feeding that interest.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I find that the bar for your stats is quite uneven. I seriously doubt that 2-10% of accusations are "proven" false beyond a reasonable doubt, whereas convictions are proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

In reality, less than 5% of allegations are deemed to be false, with 95% of allegations being true, but only a fraction of them currently overcoming the "beyond a reasonable doubt" part. This means that a vast majority of women who are sexually assaulted never see justice.

The 2019 Netflix miniseries “Unbelievable” was based on this case.

Pictures in Accused Rapist's Camera Provide Chilling Evidence Against Him​

Alleged rapist's photos clear woman who was charged with falsely reporting rape.

April 15, 2011 -- A Washington State woman who police charged with filing a false rape report has been vindicated by chilling photos of her ordeal found on an accused serial rapist's camera, law-enforcement officials say.

Marc O'Leary, 32, is currently being held in Jefferson County jail in Colorado on a $5 million cash bond and has been charged with 25 felony counts including rape, burglary and stalking in connection with two rapes in Golden and Westminster, Colo., and an attempted rape in Lakewood, Colo.
<cut>
Detectives testified this week that when they raided O'Leary's home in Lakewood, a Denver suburb, they took a memory card from his camera that showed more than a hundred photos of his sex-assault victims. They identified one of the photos as being of a woman in Lynnwood, Wash., who was 18 when she reported a rape in 2008.

Cops didn't believe her story, and she had to pay a $500 fine for making a false charge. O'Leary lived in nearby Mountlake Terrace, Wash., from 2006 to 2009, police say.

The case has now been reopened, and the Washington victim has had her court costs reimbursed and her record expunged. "She was in fact the victim of a rape," said Cmdr. Steve Rider of the Lynnwood Police Department. "We believe strongly there is a link and Marc O'Leary perpetrated the crime here."
<snip>
As for the victim in Lynnwood, Rider said it has been difficult for her to relive both the rape and the failure of investigators to believe her. But now, he said, "her healing process can begin, and she can get justice."
link

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
If someone is hoping the accusations are untrue then that is being skeptical of the victim’s claim. It seems in rape cases there are 2 starting points: the victim is lying, or the victim is to be believed. Everyone who says they want to see it out in court generally show their bias. They will only comment on the people they call the mob but they won’t say “let’s see how it plays out in court” to the people who are skeptical of the victim. I am of the belief that a victim who comes forth should be believed until proven otherwise

I may have a bias (we all do), but my ONLY starting point is let's see where the evidence leads us.

Reactions: oilers4life5

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013

Strange question

Mark Douglas from City News ask

"what the spirt was" in the room where the alleged sexual assault took place

The team 100% needs to face a suspension from international competition. Absolutely indefensible behavior from the players, to the adult chaperone (“M.M.”), all the way to the top of the organization.
The chaperone works for Nike Canada

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
So what you're saying is that rapists around the world have missed the boat, all they have to do is film 6-second videos coercing the victim to say "it was ok with her" after their deed is done to almost make sure they won't be convicted?
It was a little more then that. Read the 12 second video transcript, and the text messages the next day between the victim and the ring leader.

It's enough to create doubt and gives a sense, of what happened.

BTW - I'm all for changing that culture, regardless !

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I didn’t watch the press conference but to play devils advocate, is it possible he was trying to draw attention towards bigger issues to promote change but he bungled it and put his foot in his mouth?
I think that’s exactly what happened. But as a general rule for police chiefs, don’t try to appoint, excuse, or appoint blame. Just write down the facts and work from there.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad