Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I mean that's true for any crime. If you can cover it up from the public then it's called getting away with it.

So what’s the point of bringing up ‘no charges’? As if that matters in assault cases?

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
After posting in this thread the last few days and communicating/reading some mind-numbing takes that use a lot of words to try and come off "intelligent" or as the "devils advocate" to help disguise what they really want to say...

...I can't help but wonder if these same people would be posting these thoughts online if the veil of anonymity was lifted and their face, name, location, job were all readily availble to see next to their post.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Do you think the effects would be worse if she was assaulted or just lying about them?

The best scenario for all involved is that she lied. Unless you'd rather that she was telling the truth and assaulted. Think about it.
This is deeply manipulative. You're saying people here are hoping for an assault. Of course, we wished this never happened, but the victim has come forward and has been working with the police (whether they were working for her is questionable). If she says something happened, then we have to see why all these men were there, and that's what the court is for.

You should hope in the future that this never happens again, and these guys never went to the bedroom in the first place.

Last edited:

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
What a weird take lmao

Because the police were idiots I want the people who potentially sexually assaulted someone to get off free.

Give your head a shake.
I'm not necessarily defending or agreeing with what that poster said, but it could be argued that the greater altruistic action to inprove society would be teaching police a hard lesson in hopes of getting fewer corrupt and egotistical ones in the future.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Do you think the effects would be worse if she was assaulted or just lying about them?

The best scenario for all involved is that she lied. Unless you'd rather that she was telling the truth and assaulted. Think about it.
There's thoughts that are deep, and there's thoughts that should stay in the black hole of the pit of your mind.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
These choices of words just makes you think that he was the only conscious person and every other persons involved were a bunch of vegetables without their own will.
Uh, no, but if he was the one that called them all to his room, then yeah, those words make sense to use.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Yeah, I think it’s clear who 2 of the witnesses are, and maybe gives some credence to the rumor that one of the 5 players was “told on”. One of the players who’s name was brought up often and whose career played out a little strangely should be pissed if he isn’t involved in any way, which I believe his statement indicates
And one of the players whose name was brought up often signed a new contract with his NHL team. And later turned himself in to London police.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
The players don't have to reasonably prove that the consent was without coercion.

The burden of proof is on the prosecutors to prove that it was coerced, or prove that she wanted to leave and wasn't allowed.

This is going to be difficult to prove. That was all I was saying.

If I was a betting man, I would bet that this case results in a "not guilty" verdict. And yes, I know that is different than "they are innocent".

We will see. :)
I think having a male voice on the recording saying "say it" prior to her "consent" will be ample proof she was coerced.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
What an appalling, odious post.

So you'd rather a woman was assaulted than that she wasn't assaulted and made untrue accusations?

I'm pretty sure that the reason sexual assault is judged harshly is because it is extremely painful and damaging to the person it occurred to. I wouldn't want that for anyone.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
So you'd rather a woman was assaulted than that she wasn't assaulted and made untrue accusations?

I'm pretty sure that the reason sexual assault is judged harshly is because it is extremely painful and damaging to the person it occurred to. I wouldn't want that for anyone.
Bad faith arguing. Something happened with her and it had enough of an effect that’s she’s still cooperating years later. If she was lying why didn’t she stop after the hush money?

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Given it has always been stated that the players alleged to be involved were from the CHL, it seems like a wildly insane decision to punish NCAA player Cale Makar for something he had nothing to do with.

Could’ve sworn one of Kyrou or Thomas was demonstrably not even at the event. It’s even more insane to tell whichever one that is that he can’t play at the WHC in May if he wanted when it wasn’t even possible for him to be involved.
It's about setting a precedent. For Canadian hockey fans, that's unfortunate. But for quelling future situations like this, it's good. Probably more important I'm gonna say.

Oh and it's probably also about covering it's own a** in case new information comes out about any players/members of the team that haven't already been named.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I didn't say they had to prove it. I said "reasonable doubt" has to be "reasonable". The defense will use that video as their "proof" it was consensual. It's up to a jury to think, after hearing and seeing everything else, if it is reasonable to conclude that.

Just having that video isn't some magic bullet as you're seeming to suggest. I don't think it will weigh as heavy as you believe it will with all the other statements and timelines that we know about at this time.
I believe you are right

I think it is reasonable to treat the video as a neutral piece of evidence, a coin flip that can go either way.. basically a lesser piece in what will actually prove one way or another

Reactions: AzHawk

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
This is deeply manipulative. You're saying people here are hoping for an assault. Of course, we wished this never happened, but the victim has come forward and has been working with the police (whether they were working forher is questionable). If she says something happened, then we have to see why all these men were there, and that's what the court is for.

You should hope in the future that this never happens again, and these guys went to the bedroom in the first place.

Police always take sexual assault accusations very seriously - and they should!

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
It's a Peter Singer moment. Spew out what seems entirely logical and duck when they throw produce.

I didn't see that happening here.

Like I said about the Depp/Heard case early in these few posts that I've posted here.

The best case scenario is that the complainant is lying (not that it's good either, but it's the best scenario).

And then all parts of legal process are important for upholding justice.

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Police always take sexual assault accusations very seriously - and they should!

giphy.gif

Some insight: Why Do So Few Rape Cases End in Arrest?

For every 100 rapes and sexual assaults of teenage girls and women reported to police, only 18 lead to an arrest

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
After posting in this thread the last few days and communicating/reading some mind-numbing takes that use a lot of words to try and come off "intelligent" or as the "devils advocate" to help disguise what they really want to say...

...I can't help but wonder if these same people would be posting these thoughts online if the veil of anonymity was lifted and their face, name, location, job were all readily availble to see next to their post.

A lot still would.

Source - Just go browse Facebook comments on any news article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad