Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I am not sure we need the names, but the rest of your rant I think is off base. Where you see peeping toms and self-appointed jury, I see a much needed, and clearly overdue, public scrutiny and oversight of public institutions.

The case outrages the public for many reasons, not the least of which is attempted coverup of the allegations. This outrage and the scrutiny of the facts of the case that is happening is precisely what's supposed to happen when the public institutions stumble, that's what drives the change. This exposure and public discourse is what holds the feet of those in power to the fire. Without it things continue as they did before.
You raise a good point that public scrutiny imposes pressure that can sometimes be used for good. However, most social media is blunt, mindless gossip. I don't know the ratio of good to bad; hopefully we can become more discerning viewers and do a better job figuring out which is which.
I'm sorry, but this post is totally incoherent. Leaving aside that witnesses who fail to report or stop crimes definitely should not be left off the hook because they may be at least partially complicit (in wrongdoing, not necessarily in an illegal sense per se) and that this behaviour should not be tolerated, but also as an NHL fan, there is an interest in knowing who they are because they're an entertainment product and as a paying fan you may not want to pay or associate with them.
In what way would someone be 'off the hook' by not appearing on Twitter? Do you believe the courts need social media chatter to help them mete out justice?

Millions of cases manage to be tried and adjudicated without the help of social media or you and I ever hearing about them. Just because we've made it our business doesn't mean it really is our business. A hockey player is an entertainment product... on the ice. The belief his personal life should be equally entertaining is... troubling. If that player screws up in his private life, let him pay the price. I'm not owed the juicy details and neither are you.

As I said above, public pressure can be an important force for good. But what you're defending is voyeurism.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
these 5 in siberian prison league with the warden

t9X78X7.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One gets the strong impression that he really wants to say "don't blame us because our predecessors, now safely retired or moved on elsewhere, royally f'd this up", but of course he can't say that.

The comment that part of the prosecution is about the original investigation makes me wonder what might come to light. In the meantime, there are certainly some big questions about what went on initially.

They cut someone off asking about if someone (didn't hear who) had interfered with the initial investigation. Well... that went about as sideways as one could expect.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Couple hockey fans were investigating the matter in 2018 and didn't find anything basically sums up the press conference.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
You raise a good point that public scrutiny imposes pressure that can sometimes be used for good. However, most social media is blunt, mindless gossip. I don't know the ratio of good to bad; hopefully we can become more discerning viewers and do a better job figuring out which is which.

In what way would someone be 'off the hook' by not appearing on Twitter? Do you believe the courts need social media chatter to help them mete out justice?

Millions of cases manage to be tried and adjudicated without the help of social media or you and I ever hearing about them. Just because we've made it our business doesn't mean it really is our business. A hockey player is an entertainment product... on the ice. The belief his personal life should be equally entertaining is... troubling. If that player screws up in his private life, let him pay the price. I'm not owed the juicy details and neither are you.

As I said above, public pressure can be an important force for good. But what you're defending is voyeurism.

What the hell are you talking about? This is still totally incoherent and just sounds like you have an axe to grind against social media.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Just watched the press conference by London Police. About 95% of the questions asked couldn't/wouldn't be answered one way or another by the Chief or Detective Sergeant. What is honestly the point of these press conferences if they are simply re-iterating public information already?

I totally understand that they need to protect the integrity of the investigation by not giving details, but except for the answer that none of the investigators from the original investigation are on the team, no new information was gleaned. It would have been better for them to make a statement re-iterating the public information, and then take no questions. I am not a big fan of the media, but given the heightened interest in this case, surely London Police are not so tone deaf to believe that the public wasn't going to be asking further questions, if not about the case, then about the process which obviously failed the victim initially.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
On paper, sure, in reality it was two different groups of people looking into it during two different time periods. Just because the case # on the top of the paper stayed the same.
I understand, I was making fun of the fact that they repeated it way more than they needed to. Seemed like they talked about it before hand in being one of the main points to get across.

Reactions: I am toxic

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The useful info may be that McLeod's second charge was for facilitation of someone else to commit sexual assault and that they are viewing the entire thing as a singular investigation.

But like a lot of things, this raised a lot more questions that will likely have to wait to trial to come to light, if then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad