Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
The wording of it is kinda weird, to be honest.

Not sure why they're definitively saying they will be charged, but haven't been yet. It's a five year old case. It's not like this happened yesterday and you're trying to arrest them immediately and haven't had the time to file formal charges. It's been five years.

Maybe it's a difference between US and Canadian criminal system that I'm not aware of. I dunno.

If you bothered to read instead of post you would understand why. Clearly explained above your post.

Look Up

Rev up your .....batteries?
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, I've been hitting refresh on this thread quite a bit and some of the posts that are getting deleted are a bit baffling.

Even embedded Twitter posts from legit sources with no additional user commentary are quickly getting deleted. I don't get it - seems rather excessive.
It is what it is.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
I don't think we will find out whom the 5 are unless they were over 18 at the time of offence. Even then I bet it will be hush hush.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
How long before the following happens

1. IIHF announces that Team Canada has been stripped of hosting all junior tournaments til 2030.

2. IIHF announces Team Canada has been banned from partipicating in the IIHF World juniors 2024 tournament.

3. Hockey Canada apologizes to the public for trying to silence victims and sweep this under the rug.

If all of this happened, it still would be a light punishment for Hockey Canada!

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I don't think we will find out whom the 5 are unless they were over 18 at the time of offence. Even then I bet it will be hush hush.
Wouldnt shock me. Its all wait and see at this point. Unless certain individuals are not playing hockey currently, its going to get out though. Just a matter of being made official or not. Like someone else said, the media is going to be camped outside the police station over the next few days.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

1. IIHF announce Team Canada has been stripped of hosting all junior tournaments til 2030.

2. IIHF announces Team Canada has been banned from partipicating in the IIHF World juniors 2024 tournament.

3. Team Canada apologizes to the public for trying to silence victims and sweep this under the rug.
Maaaybe the 3rd one. But it will be more like

"We're sorry this got public and you guys kept pushing for justice, so we're here now."

• Wow
Reactions: Dessloch

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

1. IIHF announce Team Canada has been stripped of hosting all junior tournaments til 2030.

3. Hockey Canada apologizes to the public for trying to silence victims and sweep this under the rug.

If all of this happened, it still would be a light punishment for Hockey Canada!
The IIHF would never punish Hockey Canada for anything.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Forgive my ignorance but I don’t understand why some are so upset with the Salt Lake City thing being announced at the same time as this? I don’t see how it’s connected and I don’t think there’s some conspiracy of “Oh we have a big controversy… look over here instead!” There’s been lots of controversies in the history of the sport and I don’t recall the NHL being like “Hmm let’s create a new team to solve the problem”

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
My understanding. Publication bans do not include names of people charged. Only the day to day court details in the ongoing case. Once charged the names are public information.
No, unless there is no publication ban or if the victims request to lift the publication ban, it is not public information.

In a high profile case like this one though, it's going to be impossible to keep their names hidden like we're all gonna see which players are missing and if they are convicted we'll find out.

Reactions: PaulD

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Instead saying "Don't speculate" in the thread title, just lock and delete the thread.
Yeh... it is human nature to speculate when given a topic, an open forum, and players who have previously been linked to the subject have gone missing. It is going to happen.

Good on Canada to finally bring this to a conclusion

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
What’s the outcome of a very possible situation in which the players are found not guilty in court? I’ve seen a lot of comments over the years on this on how difficult it is to be found guilty which is why so many women don’t step forward. This isn’t to automatically assume any guilt, just wondering if it’s even possible this gets resolved.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Forgive my ignorance but I don’t understand why some are so upset with the Salt Lake City thing being announced at the same time as this? I don’t see how it’s connected and I don’t think there’s some conspiracy of “Oh we have a big controversy… look over here instead!” There’s been lots of controversies in the history of the sport and I don’t recall the NHL being like “Hmm let’s create a new team to solve the problem”
Smoke show.

Don't look at the disastrous thing over here, talk about this !

Though, someone on "x" said they would forever associate the 2018 sexual assault scandal with Utah. That's just f***ing stupid.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Smoke show.

Don't look at the disastrous thing over here, talk about this !

Though, someone on "x" said they would forever associate the 2018 sexual assault scandal with Utah. That's just f***ing stupid.
Yeah I just don’t think that’s the case. Seems like a big stretch.

Reactions: hairylikebear

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What’s the outcome of a very possible situation in which the players are found not guilty in court? I’ve seen a lot of comments over the years on this on how difficult it is to be found guilty which is why so many women don’t step forward. This isn’t to automatically assume any guilt, just wondering if it’s even possible this gets resolved.
I believe with this case and how absolutely careful the police and everyone has been with it, they are wanting to make sure they have a really ironclad case before they attempt anything. Not to say that guarantees they are actually guilty but imho usually makes it more likely.

Reactions: Cootsfanclub

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

1. IIHF announces that Team Canada has been stripped of hosting all junior tournaments til 2030.

lol good one. Hockey Canada runs the IIHF.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
How much of the moderating re liable, is linked to advertisers and their social stance?
I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the libel/defamation issue on here originally arose from this:

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I believe with this case and how absolutely careful the police and everyone has been with it, they are wanting to make sure they have a really ironclad case before they attempt anything. Not to say that guarantees they are actually guilty but imho usually makes it more likely.
Some of the details leaked(if true) a while ago make me think this isn't going to be an easy case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad