Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
IIRC the victim originally accused 8 individuals of being involved, so I guess the police only had strong evidence on 5 of them? I know they don't bring charges unless they're reasonably sure of a conviction.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Damn, just read some of the threads on Reddit. People are already getting the pitch forks out. Sucks for the speculated 5 if they aren't even found guilty. I can only imagine all the hate the speculated and their families are going to get.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Briere had a pre-scheduled presser this morning. As much of an acknowledgment as we're going to get until the league makes a move I believe.

Last edited:

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
What’s the point of even having this thread? We can’t post what’s true?
Well we can't speculate on who it is but we can talk about the fact the case is heating up, we can talk about lots, just not name names

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
ouyay inkthay iyay amyay eculatingspay utbay iyay amyay otnay

*cough*

Me thinks that the the info that people want is going to come out way slower than they want. Can this thread last days? 🤷‍♂️

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Whoever the players are, rest assured that in a court of public opinion, their NHL careers are over, guilty or not...

I disagree. Will they have a stigma attached to them even if they are ruled innocent? Probably. But I think the league(s) would still let them back in provided they are ruled innocent.

Reactions: aylib

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
This place takes itself way too seriously.
Exactly. They’re athletes and it’s not just the sport they play, but their whole lives become public information. It’s like going to a celebrity gossip site and saying not to speculate rumors. When you put yourself in the limelight, you’re asking for attention. Unfortunately, sometimes it’s not attention you want but that’s the price it comes with turning pro.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I've been out of the loop on this one for awhile. What's the details on this to date?

Last I had heard it was pretty generally accepted that a bunch of them had sex with this girl, but that they apparently had a video where she basically said she was going to have sex with them and consented?

Wasn't the contention essentially whether she was too inebriated to make that decision?

The criminal case doesn't prevent her from suing civilly.

No but then being criminally convicted most likely increases her civil casea great deal.....

They took turns having sex with her while she was very inebriated. The alleged 5.

Before somebody claims I'm trying to justify anything, I'm not...

... But if she didn't report this immediately and have blood drawn this sounds like a good defense attorney's wet dream. Not saying they'll win or lose. But these are very, very difficult to prove and get a conviction on.

One common error of the understanding the Canadian judicial system is that the victim doesn't actually choose whether or not charges are pressed criminally. The victim can choose whether or not they report to the police. The crown reviews the evidence and decides if they think they can get a conviction. Now in sexual assault if the victim isn't cooperating they likely wouldn't proceed but again not up to them at all. But also we have seen how long this has taken to play out - a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush so to speak. She settled long before this will play out criminally.

Another thing is you actually cannot give consent if you are inebriated - especially if the people who you gave 'consent' to are the ones giving you substances.

Last edited:

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
IIRC the victim originally accused 8 individuals of being involved, so I guess the police only had strong evidence on 5 of them? I know they don't bring charges unless they're reasonably sure of a conviction.
5 members and three non members who will have their day in court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad