Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
IIRC the victim originally accused 8 individuals of being involved, so I guess the police only had strong evidence on 5 of them? I know they don't bring charges unless they're reasonably sure of a conviction.
I believe she alleged some were just general OHL players, likely on the London Knights given where it happened. The reporting is focused on the WJC players but I wouldn't yet assume there won't be three other names

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Respect and agree with your stance on victim’s rights. But not sure I can sign on to the first statement. In the US at least, we have 1000s of innocent people in prison. Prosecutors have been known to prosecute people they know to be innocent by withholding exculpatory evidence among other misdeeds. In federal cases, the prosecution knowingly fatigues defendants financially into plea deals. So this idea that charges are only brought on guilty people seems factually incorrect to me.
In my opinion the legal system in the US often bullies those without a proper defense attorney. I think those part of this case will have the means to have hired one by now, or in the future. That said I have been drawn into the legal system in the US before, and yes, you would think the prosecutors are looking for justice, but often the state just wants to say it has snatched it's conviction from the defendant.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
The site has been pretty stable lately.

The real test will come when that proposed three way trade shipping McD to the Leafs, Matthews to the Canucks and Pettersson to the Oilers finally happens.
I mean, other than the site randomly refreshing all the time and losing whatever post you’ve been typing & the full page ads that randomly pop up and don’t allow you to do anything - I guess it’s been stable lol.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Bear is the one mod that if I get a penalty from I'd take it with pride. Nothing against any of the others, but Bear is quite funny when you know shit is going to go sideways.

While the speculation threads on legal matters are a nightmare for mods to maintain, I do enjoy their comments in them
You get infractions from entities?

I just get they annonymous TrollStomper treatment from what I assume is the same individual :sarcasm:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
That's the picture of a man who's just thrilled to be there.

It's funny, because he dusted past this topic in 3 minutes with as much "can't comment" and "defer to the league" as he could and then spent the next half hour talking about how excited he is for the team's future.

Gotta hand it to Briere. First year GM digging out from Fletcher's mess is a tall enough task, then you add the Gauthier situation and this one to the mix. No wonder they had such a small candidate pool for this job and the President role. Timebombs left and right.

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
5 members and three non members who will have their day in court
I was under the impression (probably wrong) she had consented then passed out and they kept going. So to me the line is anyone who slept with her after she was passed out is guilty of rape, while the 1st ones should be ok

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
If individuals were NHL players, what could Bettman do in the interim? Suspend them indefinitely until the legal process plays out?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
As a tyrannical mod once told us……

Stop thinking this place is a democracy and not a modtatorship.

thesimpsons-mrburns.gif

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I was under the impression (probably wrong) she had consented then passed out and they kept going. So to me the line is anyone who slept with her after she was passed out is guilty of rape, while the 1st ones should be ok
I mean if she was at a point where she’s passing out in the middle of this I’d imagine no one should’ve been doing anything even at the start.

Don’t know the details, why did she pass out?

Reactions: Ezekial

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Can you give proper consent if you're passing out while having group sex?

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Whoever the players may be, what is the justification for suspending them from their current employment in a league when the alleged infractions are not said to have happened while employed in said league?

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
It's funny, because he dusted past this topic in 3 minutes with as much "can't comment" and "defer to the league" as he could and then spent the next half hour talking about how excited he is for the team's future.

Gotta hand it to Briere. First year GM digging out from Fletcher's mess is a tall enough task, then you add the Gauthier situation and this one to the mix. No wonder they had such a small candidate pool for this job and the President role. Timebombs left and right.
IT'S A TRAP.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Not sure if anyone has shared this yet but Formenton has been called back to the country. He's the only player from the team that made literally no statement

3 members of the 2018 WJC squad have been granted “indefinite leave of absences” from their respective teams over the past few days - that is a public and well reported fact. Out of respect for the mod’s wishes, I won’t name names or say anything more than that, but the timing is certainly suspicious.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Respect and agree with your stance on victim’s rights. But not sure I can sign on to the first statement. In the US at least, we have 1000s of innocent people in prison. Prosecutors have been known to prosecute people they know to be innocent by withholding exculpatory evidence among other misdeeds. In federal cases, the prosecution knowingly fatigues defendants financially into plea deals. So this idea that charges are only brought on guilty people seems factually incorrect to me.
I genuinely don't mean for this to be divisive but while what you describe is true, it generally is not the case for wealthy white boys

Reactions: Nut Upstrom and Red

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I am legitimately curious as to what the origin/justification is for the rules.

Of all of the message boards I frequent, ranging from hobbies to sports to entertainment to news, this site is by far the most censor-happy. To the point where I could hardly recall instances of censorship on the other sites, yet on HF, it happens all of the time.

Is it a sponsorship issue? Is it a cultural issue? Is the site "located" outside of the US, where speech rights are not as extensive?

Yes, California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad