Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Well, things will change after they are charged with sexual assault.

Why do you want them to be able to play while dealing with such stressful personal issues going on so badly?

Why would things change when charged? A charge is not a conviction.

I care because I value individual rights in regard to presumption of innocence.

Reactions: The Electrician

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
5 members and three non members who will have their day in court

This is a genuine question:

I remember the wording being reflective of 5 players and 3 non-player members of staff. Obviously as NHL hockey fans, we’re primarily all concerned with who the players are and if/how it effects our team/opponents, etc. but I have always wondered… is no one being looked at for either providing these young men with alcohol or being negligent in providing adult supervision? Were all players 18+ or were some still 17 on that team? If they were all “adults” I guess you can’t force supervision on them, but even so the drinking age in Ontario is 19. And the WJC was in Buffalo where it’s 21 (I don’t know where it was alleged to have occurred). Were they all above drinking age wherever this occurred? Were they provided alcohol by a staff member who was involved among the initial eight? Did Canada staff facilitate this event? And even in the event that these guys were all 18+ and legally adults, isn’t that a massively problematic component that probably requires a separate law suit?

Again, this is not speculation but genuine questions. Anyone who has followed more closely and has any answers would be appreciated.

Reactions: joestevens29

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Well all five names are out now. Can't talk about them here, but a quick google search makes it pretty clear.

I get that teams can't come out and say what is going on, but claiming any of these guys are on leaves for Mental Health is a pretty rough look.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNewEra

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I imagine they’ll have reporters camped near the police station to see who comes in over the next couple of days

Do these guys need to appear in person or can they have a lawyer represent them?

Either way I suspect police will make accommodations to have any of the alleged players come in privately through back doors to a random station during off hours etc

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Why would things change when charged? A charge is not a conviction.

I care because I value individual rights in regard to presumption of innocence.
Yea but why do you think they should be playing hockey while dealing with such an important life matter like proving their innocence that they know is a fact and are being wrongly accused. I think I'd be focused on that, not hockey.

Once they're charged with sexual assualt, they may not even be allowed to leave Canada.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I’m sure some are plugged into hockey circles here. How well known was this? Like player specific? Someone even mentioned Westhead yesterday

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I forgot how shitty this site was to use before I shelled out the $1 a month.

So worth it though.
Just to be clear my grey area post only applies to anyone involved prior to her passing out, IMO anyone who did anything after is a criminal.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Better to just name them than this reality show type reveal leading to all kinds of speculation.
The plan is have the entire team stand in a line and once a day have someone do this.
1000055663.gif

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
This is a genuine question:

I remember the wording being reflective of 5 players and 3 non-player members of staff. Obviously as NHL hockey fans, we’re primarily all concerned with who the players are and if/how it effects our team/opponents, etc. but I have always wondered… is no one being looked at for either providing these young men with alcohol or being negligent in providing adult supervision? Were all players 18+ or were some still 17 on that team? If they were all “adults” I guess you can’t force supervision on them, but even so the drinking age in Ontario is 19. And the WJC was in Buffalo where it’s 21 (I don’t know where it was alleged to have occurred). Were they all above drinking age wherever this occurred? Were they provided alcohol by a staff member who was involved among the initial eight? Did Canada staff facilitate this event? And even in the event that these guys were all 18+ and legally adults, isn’t that a massively problematic component that probably requires a separate law suit?

Again, this is not speculation but genuine questions. Anyone who has followed more closely and has any answers would be appreciated.

If you go back and read the reporting from years ago, there was a Nike Hockey executive heavily involved. He was buying drinks for everyone. This isn't speculation, it was reported. He's long since been reassigned, hopefully fired at this point.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
There's a Frank Seravalli tweet verifying that a certain 2018 WJC player has taken a leave of absence with their Euro club to come back to Canada but mods won't let it be posted because verified information from a reputable reporter qualifies as "hearsay"
It's almost like they don't want any names posted.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Yea but why do you think they should be playing hockey while dealing with such an important life matter like proving their innocence that they know is a fact and are being wrongly accused. I think I'd be focused on that, not hockey.

Once they're charged with sexual assualt, they may not even be allowed to leave Canada.

Because shit happens and life goes on?

I have had to deal with a lot of traumatic events in my life (currently dealing with one right now) but I still have to get up and go to work every day, be a parent to my children, be there for my friends, and try to find as much fulfillment in life as I can.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
So I never really saw it discussed, but guys on LOA what are the cap implications?
When Drouin took a leave of absence from Montreal for his mental health he was placed on ltir. This situation will be totally different so I don't know how this will handled for cap purposes.

Reactions: joestevens29
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad