Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Assuming that the most likely explanation is the correct one, I wonder where we go from here. What kind of punishment/jail time would they be looking at, and what happens to Hockey Canada?

Dec 15, 2002
What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty.
They're still innocent until proven guilty.
Remember the Duke Lacrosse players. The woman in question was proven to be a liar and is now in prison for 2nd degree murder.
If this were another "Duke Lacrosse" case, I'd think that over the course of 5 years of investigations it would have become apparent that the female who claims she was assaulted was making it all up. Not saying it 100% didn't happen here, but I'm pretty comfortable betting the house on this not being the same given the amount of attention that's been put on this and the amount of investigation that's been done.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Along with the due course of justice here (finally), I’m hoping that the glare of the investigation also shines on the London Police Service. At this time, the LPS appears to be negligent, incompetent and derelict in its duties. Shameful.
I don’t necessarily know the details of the investigation or the crime, but I would imagine it is very difficult for any law enforcement service to find the appropriate evidence to press charges for a crime that was committed 5 years ago and reported long after the event. Hard to fault law enforcement IMO.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty. Remember the Duke Lacrosse players. The woman in question was proven to be a liar and is now in prison for 2nd degree murder.
If I may answer this in the simplest of terms... They are presumed innocent until proven guilty. There are many many layers to these types of incidents.

Depending on the league or even university, there are different protocols already in place when something like this happens. In some leagues, the players go on some type of administrative leave(usually with pay) while the investigation runs its course. Reinstatement will follow if said player is exonerated or the charges(the seriousness of the charge is also important) dropped.

I can tell you that no team, college, university, etc etc wants a player playing for them...and then found guilty. The public backlash would be enormous.

Teams will err on the side of caution. Some may think that this is unfair, but it is minor to the result of having a criminal playing in actual games SHOULD they be found guilty at some point. That's not even an option. Talk about a public relations nightmare.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Being charged with sexual assault (especially as a person who plays a sport for entertainment in the public eye for a living) isn't "ho hum, shit happens"

Well no one has been charged as of yet. Also you cannot expect the public to have sympathy for these guys. If what was detailed was true they should be ready to face those consequences.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Remember reposting tweets of speculation, is still..... Speculation.

img_5468-gif.809402

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
man honestly if when someone accuses someone else of something really bad your *first* instinct is to question it and feel the need to defend them on an message board, fix your heart I feel sorry for you

Reactions: Marshall

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
How long before the following happens

1. IIHF announces that Team Canada has been stripped of hosting all junior tournaments til 2030.

2. IIHF announces Team Canada has been banned from partipicating in the IIHF World juniors 2024 tournament.

3. Hockey Canada apologizes to the public for trying to silence victims and sweep this under the rug.

If all of this happened, it still would be a light punishment for Hockey Canada!
* checks watch.
never.
Canada is the cash cow for the IIHF.
Canada based tourneys are the golden egg.
Hockey Canada? they are going to get roughed up , again, and rightly so,

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Well no one has been charged as of yet. Also you cannot expect the public to have sympathy for these guys. If what was detailed was true they should be ready to face those consequences.
You should probably read the chain of conversation to get a better grasp of what's being said there.

I know they aren't charged yet, they will be when they surrender because that's how it works in Canada.
I don't expect them to get public sympathy, that's what I was explaining to that poster who thinks they deserve to continue to play hockey because of individual freedoms or to quote him "shit happens"
They probably won't be able to leave Canada after they surrender, let alone travel to play hockey.

Reactions: francis246

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
true but its the potentially part thats the issue, when it changes from potentially to just relevant then we will be able to name names. Even if we are 99% sure who it is, that 1% means we can't name names till anything official is released.
It would take a lot more for a libel suit than sharing someone else's tweet, I think it's an unnecessary overcorrect but I digress

Reactions: The Electrician
Dec 15, 2002
I do not want to speculate….🤨!

But the initial report had 8 players in the room and todays report has 5 players asked to report!

Basic math 8-5 = 3 players getting the Chevy treatment ( Chicago Fiasco) - they knew something but don’t know something!
I thought it was 8 individuals. Whatever, doesn't change the rest of my response:

* Could be that further investigation showed the other 3 were not criminally culpable
* Could be that at this point in time, there's not enough evidence to bring a charge against the other 3
* Could be there would have been enough evidence to bring a charge against the other 3, but the statute of limitations has run on any such charge(s)
* Could be that an investigation is continuing on the other 3 and something may happen yet
* Could be that those 3 have "flipped" in some way and avoided prosecution

Could be other stuff. The point: no one knows, so speculating on what's going on is a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad