Five members from Canada’s 2018 world junior team (Hart, McLeod, Dube, Foote and Formenton) told to surrender to police, facing sexual assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
May the trial be fair and justice carry the day. May the guilty rot, the innocent go free, and victims find closure.

Wonder how big this will be, could be OJ or Johnny Depp level stuff for Canadians.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I will be following the court case tbh. I'm curious how this goes and if anything comes out of it. No ones been arrested or going to prison yet. Glad it's not being totally swept under the rug too!

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
As a lawyer, these rules make no sense at all. There is a 0 chance the site could be successfully sued or incur some kind of liability because users of the site named a series of player who happened to be on the world junior team, and who happened to all have just needed to take leaves of absences around the same time from their hockey teams around the time of 5 arrest warrants being issued for members of that team. It's no different than Twitter being worried about someone tweeting about it, which of course they wouldn't be.

All it does is curtail discussion and make the site less interesting to use. I get the rules around political speech (I like how the is a politics free zone), but something like this is directly related to the subject matter (hockey). There are literal arrest warrants for pro hockey players. There is no rational reason to not allow some very informed speculation at this point.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
That would be Raphael87
75905137-49c1-4540-89d9-d81318ecf165_text.gif

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I will be following the court case tbh. I'm curious how this goes and if anything comes out of it. No ones been arrested or going to prison yet. Glad it's not being totally swept under the rug too!
They are allowing them to return and turn themselves in instead of showing up to rinks and their homes and being arrested.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
As someone that is a sexual assault survivor I just hope the truth comes out and if these 5 people are guilty they are found guilty. But remember everyone, people are innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around, so I hope everyone puts down the pitchforks. Let the process be the process. The only thing people should be asking for is for the truth to come to the forefront once the process has finished, regardless if that means 1, 2, 3, 4, or all 5 are found guilty or none of them are. They are innocent till proven guilty.
Thank you for coming forward. We need to get better at this.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
As a lawyer, these rules make no sense at all. There is a 0 chance the site could be successfully sued or incur some kind of liability because users of the site named a series of player who happened to be on the world junior team, and who happened to all have just needed to take leaves of absences around the same time from their hockey teams around the time of 5 arrest warrants being issued for members of that team. It's no different than Twitter being worried about someone tweeting about it, which of course they wouldn't be.

All it does is curtail discussion and make the site less interesting to use. I get the rules around political speech (I like how the is a politics free zone), but something like this is directly related to the subject matter (hockey). There are literal arrest warrants for pro hockey players. There is no rational reason to not allow some very informed speculation at this point.

They could be unsuccessfully sued, which costs money. You know that

You start naming names, and if you’re wrong, it can create legal issues

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
They are allowing them to return and turn themselves in instead of showing up to rinks and their homes and being arrested.
Having to go to London, Ontario is a punishment in itself.lol I'm all for due process and really want to see how it goes. I remember the Moxy Fruvous guy went through something like this a long time ago now.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Yeah, I've been hitting refresh on this thread quite a bit and some of the posts that are getting deleted are a bit baffling.

Even embedded Twitter posts from legit sources with no additional user commentary are quickly getting deleted. I don't get it - seems rather excessive.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Generally, in my experience, the way publication bans are worded, is that nothing can be published "that could identify the complainant". So it is a case-by-case basis as to whether the accused's name can be reported. For example, if the accused is a relative of the complainant, there would be concerns that naming the accused would reveal who the complainant is.

It would depend on the details of the case whether it is thought that identifying any of the accused in media could somehow reveal her identity (as far as I know, she's only ever been referred to as "E.M."). That said, it will be easy to figure out who they are, because the court dockets are still published and you can always check Home - Daily Court Lists to see who's up in any given courthouse on any given day (even if they have legal counsel appearing for them, the accused's name will still appear). One could simply check the lists for London court every day until he starts seeing recognizable NHL names. I wouldn't recommend reporting those names on here as that could run afoul of the publication ban, but private conversations are not "publication".
Thanks for clarification.

Reactions: ERYX

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016

The whole liable stuff is probably a cover, HF is beholden to the advertisers, those advertisers adhere to progressive dogma.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yeah, I've been hitting refresh on this thread quite a bit and some of the posts that are getting deleted are a bit baffling.

Even embedded Twitter posts from legit sources with no additional user commentary are quickly getting deleted. I don't get it - seems rather excessive.
The mods are being paranoid and overly cautious. Compared to Reddit, this stuff is very tame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad